Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Laurel
Laurel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle
Awake

Awake! for Morning in the Bowl of Night
Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight

It worked! Thank you, Jon. Patricia said someone here would know what to do.

Laurel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just took a look at the thread for the book you want to read. I do not own a Kindle, but I do have a guess as to what might be an issue. It could be the accents in the filename and/or the metadata. Try renaming the file without the accents. If it still does not work, ask Patricia to make you a new version without the accents in the metadata and see if that works. Good luck and Welcome to MobileRead.
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are very welcome Laurel. I believe the ilIad also has the same problem with accents.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best to avoid accents in the filename. Accents in the title are fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #19
derekjanet
derekjanet began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook
Thank you. I use a bookeen gen 3. Would it be possible to have page numbers. I have just bought from mobipocket book store, the Anatomist but it shows no page numbers.
derekjanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:54 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What use would page numbers be on a device which allows you to select a limitless range of different fonts and font sizes? They would be different for everybody!
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 AM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What use would page numbers be on a device which allows you to select a limitless range of different fonts and font sizes? They would be different for everybody!
They would be useful. I for exempla find it extremely irritating that I cannot se how long a book I start reading is. I use mostly the same font and size so it would be real useful to know the number of pages so i can se how long time it will take to read the book. And to see the page number when you read is good for pacing.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's a restriction of the particular reading device, of course, rather than of the books themselves. Many other versions of the MobiPocket Reader (eg the Pocket PC and Windows versions) do display a current page number.

The Gen3 will show you the total number of pages in the book, but not the current page number.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
T
The Gen3 will show you the total number of pages in the book, but not the current page number.
But it is rather inconvenient to get this number. You have to select goto page and when you are there I have not found any way to get back to the book except to press the back button on the side.

I wonder how it would be to put some page number in the book. You could put it for example at each new chapter and you could calculate it by using the number of pages in the hardcover edition as a base. Hm, maybe i should add that as an option to the Mobiperl programs...
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Many of the original PG books DO have page numbers in. I always remove them from the e-books that I create because I find that, for me personally, they detract from the reading experience.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
They would be useful. I for exempla find it extremely irritating that I cannot se how long a book I start reading is. I use mostly the same font and size so it would be real useful to know the number of pages so i can se how long time it will take to read the book. And to see the page number when you read is good for pacing.
Since page numbers do seem rather important to you, why did you not go for a 505 that has page numbers?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Since page numbers do seem rather important to you, why did you not go for a 505 that has page numbers?
Isn't that a really stupid question? I do not live in the US so I do not like to buy thing that are not available. And I could not stand a reader without a dictionary.

What makes you believe that all wishes are equally important? Or are you payed by Sony to write this?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #27
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
that's a bit blunt. for some of us it makes sense to have pagenumbers and for some of us it doesn't.

and i agree with tompe here, living outside the usa leaves you with less options! apart from that sony doesn't support mobipocket as well.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #28
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
You are very welcome Laurel. I believe the ilIad also has the same problem with accents.
It sure does, Jon. As a new Iliad owner, I couldn't get the "Rubaiyat" to open. I couldn't figure out why, and assumed some sort of insurmountable incompatibility. However, after doing some significant tracking down (okay, I should have just read the notes in the thread it is posted in ), it now works fine.

Thanks to all (for making it available, and for solving my problems...or at least the problems within your ken. For the rest, there's medication. )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #29
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Reading the various Kindle forums, I frequently come across people who are using Feedbooks, when they can find the books they want there, because of the formatting. In particular, people seem to prefer the chapter dots that allow you to navigate through the book easily, at least on a Kindle.

I don't have that many books that I've formatted for Mobileread, but when Kovid is able to find time to act on a bug that I've given him a ticket for, I'll go through mine and reformat them.

As it is now, taking a PRC file and converting it to a Mobi file, paragraphs that start with an italicized word don't get indented. This includes any poetry that is italicized. I've recently found that words in bold type react the same way, no idea why. Looking at the books with a text editor doesn't give me a clue as to why Calibre is acting the way it is.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote