Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2024, 05:55 AM   #1
stenferis
stenferis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Book cover thumbnail on Kindle library

Good morning, everyone,
I am a new user and I am sending a message of thanks for being here with you.
I need to ask you for clarification on a topic that I have seen has been covered many times, but with what I have read unfortunately I have not resolved it.
I use Calibre (rel.7.5.1) for my book library and for reading (and writing) I use Kindle Scribe (rel.5.16.6.1).
When I send a book (usually EPUP or MOBI) to the Scribe with Calibre (via USB Cable), and disconnect the Kindle, the book is correctly placed in the library, however, the cover thumbnail does not show up (it says: No Image Available).
Could someone please help me?
Than you in advance!!!
Cheers,
Stefano
stenferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:13 PM   #2
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This has been a known problem since the firmware update that changed the Scribe to use MTP instead of USB block device mode. There is no fix yet. The only way to get covers right now is to upload to Send to Kindle, or set up KFX Output and be sure to tick the PDOC config option when converting and then send the KFX over USB.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355951
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 03:14 PM   #3
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
(...) or set up KFX Output and be sure to tick the PDOC config option when converting and then send the KFX over USB.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355951

I haven't encountered any problem without making a KFX conversion as personal document. I make sure that, in metadata, the iDS is corresponding to the Kindle version on Amazon, (amazon:BOxxx). The plugin probably got better.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:23 PM   #4
stenferis

Hi guys, thanks for your help.
I found useful to send the epub via STK, the thumbnail cover remains visible... the onlt thing is that the book goes under documents and not under book.
So in the Kindle App, you have to search the uploaded book with the filter flag on documents and not on books.
Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Stefano
Old 02-12-2024, 11:38 PM   #5
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
No, STK marks the books as documents. I haven't found this to be issue though, it's still visible and searchable in your Kindle whether it is Book or Doc.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2024, 04:01 AM   #6
stenferis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturg View Post
No, STK marks the books as documents. I haven't found this to be issue though, it's still visible and searchable in your Kindle whether it is Book or Doc.
So maybe, to get the cover and a well-formatted book, ultimately this is the best method: send it to yourself through STK. Right?
Old 02-13-2024, 08:15 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stenferis View Post
So maybe, to get the cover and a well-formatted book, ultimately this is the best method: send it to yourself through STK. Right?
Only for the cover. You have more control with conversion locally and USB transfer. Also privacy and security which can be an issue for some either due to it being content that's not public or living in a country where you can end in jail or worse for what you read.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 08:50 AM   #8
stenferis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Only for the cover. You have more control with conversion locally and USB transfer. Also privacy and security which can be an issue for some either due to it being content that's not public or living in a country where you can end in jail or worse for what you read.
Of course, I honestly didn't think of such serious things, but I understand it and the solution is definitely as you said.
I just try not to have empty icons in the library and I use STK for that. If Calibre generated a solution to the problem, I would go right back to using it to transfer my books.
Thank you and best regards!
Steve
Old 02-13-2024, 12:06 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
If Calibre generated a solution to the problem.
It's actually Amazon's fault. I read a rumour it doesn't happen with latest firmware on regular Kindles. It didn't use to happen. I have one PW3 with covers and one PW3 with later firmware (not latest as it no longer gets updates) and no covers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:18 PM   #10
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
It's worth mentioning that, while the results regarding visibility of covers and thumbnails are the same, quality of images and covers can decrease considerably if you use send to kindle instead of converting and transferring the files manually.

Samples are my custom cover. Both were taken as screenshot on Scribe. Source of the .epubs was the same. Left was generated into .kfx via Kfx Plugin, right was sent to kinde as .epub via STK app.

It also needs to be said that using "Kfx Output" method is more complicated, and needs to have everything set up correctly. If you're using Calibre you need to change "Preferences->tweaks->maximum cover size" so that cover isn't automatically downscaled on import to Calibre, or tick "Use cover from source file" when converting via Calibre's GUI. Then you need to tick "Create personal document instead of book", in KFX Output plugin. (Also tick "Create approximate page numbers" while you're at it.)

Plugin can also be run in command line, just search this forum for its documentation. It's very useful when it comes to pdf's and comics, since pdf's aren't properly supported in Calibre's gui of KFX Output plugin, while "Send to Kindle" has limited file sizes and again degrades quality. Both PDF's and Comics need to be first converted into fixed page .kfs format via Kindle Create application, then they can be converted into .kfx via "Kfx Output" command line interface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1,021.8 KB
ID:	206407  
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:41 PM   #11
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
The thumbnails of the covers in the Library also have poor quality when using the Send to Kindle feature.
I don't know if this happens with Kindle Scribe. I only checked on PW3 and PW5, which are the devices I own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	42
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	206412  
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:11 AM   #12
stenferis

The fact that STK converts images with low quality is annoying, but speaking at least for the kindle scribe, I don't see any other alternative... because for now there is no other solution to import converted covers into KFX output.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:25 PM   #13
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
The thumbnails of the covers in the Library also have poor quality when using the Send to Kindle feature.
I don't know if this happens with Kindle Scribe. I only checked on PW3 and PW5, which are the devices I own.
That's just laziness. Covers are tinny when server space is concerned, their automated conversion thingy, does this practically out of spite.

Quote:
I don't see any other alternative... because for now there is no other solution to import converted covers into KFX output.
You don't need to. Scribe will generate thumbnail covers on its own. Just make sure to convert into KFX as 'personal document'. Then upload the file from computer to device via usb cable. Doing it automatically via Calibre may not work, since it's complicating things needlessly, by auto generating thumbnails and whatnot, but I've really not looked into that too much.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:21 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
That's just laziness. Covers are tinny when server space is concerned, their automated conversion thingy, does this practically out of spite.

You don't need to. Scribe will generate thumbnail covers on its own. Just make sure to convert into KFX as 'personal document'. Then upload the file from computer to device via usb cable. Doing it automatically via Calibre may not work, since it's complicating things needlessly, by auto generating thumbnails and whatnot, but I've really not looked into that too much.
Calibre will not generate thumbnails for Scribe (or any MTP device). It's not supported, and there are no plans to add support unless someone does a pull request and Kovid approves and merges it. He does not have a Scribe to test it on. But maybe somebody should give him one.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:06 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Someone send Kovid your Scribe and you'll get cover thumbnail support added to the driver. Just remember you won't get your Scribe back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote