Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2024, 05:39 AM   #1
Lung Bing
Lung Bing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What is this please?

It appears on my Kindle apparently randomly and I can't seem to get rid of it. Can I prevent it appearing or is there a way of removing it? It doesn't stop me reading, but is annoying. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	206060  
Lung Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:30 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If that book is an Amazon purchase then knowing which book it is would be helpful in determining why this is happening.

I am guessing that the book's content is organized as a table for some reason and that is enabling this behavior described in the Kindle User's Guide:

Quote:
Tables

Enhanced viewing is available for tables that are interactive, enabling you to both pan and zoom. Tap on the table to display the panning and magnifying-glass icons.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2024, 11:57 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've never seen that, but certainly looks like a pan icon joined to zoom icon.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
This is the first I've heard of interactive tables.

What distinguishes an interactive table? (from both a coding POV and a user POV)

Do you know which firmware version introduced them?

I found an Oasis user guide that mentions them and includes the text you quoted, but says nothing about how to spot them. (I guess tapping on a non interactive table turns the page or something?)

Last edited by j.p.s; 01-28-2024 at 12:17 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:34 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not seen this feature myself. I am hoping that Lung Bing will provide more information.
Advert
Old 01-28-2024, 09:53 PM   #6
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung Bing View Post
It appears on my Kindle apparently randomly and I can't seem to get rid of it. Can I prevent it appearing or is there a way of removing it? It doesn't stop me reading, but is annoying. Thank you.
Are you reading a PDF ?
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:25 AM   #7
Lung Bing

Thank you all for the interest. The book is side-loaded and is called "No Way Out" by Cara Hunter and is in AZW3 format.
The book is about a house fire and does indeed have a table in it detailing the Fire Brigade's analysis of the fire.
So it looks like until I get past the table that odd icon will appear. But I would still like to prevent its appearance.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:51 AM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

That behavior appears to be tied to AZW3 (KF8) format. I used calibre to convert a book with several large tables to AZW3 format and when sideloaded to my Kindle I see the same pair of icons when tapping within the table. I need to swipe instead to go to the next page.

I sent the original EPUB of the same book to my Kindle using Amazon's send-to-kindle website. It was delivered in KFX format and in that case the tables within the book no longer bring up those icons when tapped. They behave the same as any other text within the book.

So using send-to-kindle or converting/sideloading yourself using KFX are options for fixing this problem.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:39 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That behavior appears to be tied to AZW3 (KF8) format. I used calibre to convert a book with several large tables to AZW3 format and when sideloaded to my Kindle I see the same pair of icons when tapping within the table. I need to swipe instead to go to the next page.

I sent the original EPUB of the same book to my Kindle using Amazon's send-to-kindle website. It was delivered in KFX format and in that case the tables within the book no longer bring up those icons when tapped. They behave the same as any other text within the book.

So using send-to-kindle or converting/sideloading yourself using KFX are options for fixing this problem.
Or conversion of the table to text.

I guess I've never seen it because I never put tables into ebooks and haven't read any ebooks with tables on a Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:45 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I guess I've never seen it because I never put tables into ebooks and haven't read any ebooks with tables on a Kindle.
It usually works fine, at least I have never run into trouble with these.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 06:03 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It usually works fine, at least I have never run into trouble with these.
On the other hand, the grizzled pros that hang out in the E-Book-Formats forums
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=177
all have horror stories about clients insisting on tables and the problems they encountered because of that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:25 AM   #12
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

It's quite useful if you have books converted from coffee-table-sized A4 books with massive page-filling tables in them. They'll never fit on an e-reader screen readably, but those controls let you zoom them until they are readable and pan around in the zoomed table. It's clunky, but it's better than a totally unreadable table.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:38 AM   #13
Lung Bing

I have just added the KFX plugins to Calibre and converted the affected book and sent it to my Paperwhite 10th gen. The table no longer looks like a table, just text, and the icon no longer appears. But I'm not going to convert all my books just in case an author uses a table. Now I know what causes it then on the rare instances it appears I'll use jhowell's recommendation (post 8 above) and swipe to turn the page until the table is gone.

Thanks for all your help.