Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Kindle Touch 7th Gen - modifications

I recently ordered the newest Basic Kindle, (that Amazon calls the 7th Generation,) which should arrive tomorrow. I was wondering if there happened to be any modifications available which should work for it? (Such as the USE_ALT_FONTS method), or any that have been created specifically for it? My main "concern" is being able to change font and font size, but I would like to modify it in other ways if I can.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
And WE call it a: KT2
Same IR scanning touch screen as the KT, same SoC (i.MX6) as the other current models .

The serial port works as usual.
Even the same connector pad layout used since the K4.

Last edited by knc1; 11-28-2014 at 11:43 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, in order to start doing anything we need a working jailbreak. The KT2, KV, and PW2-when-on-fw5.6.1 cannot be jailbroken (we hope this will change sometime soon), sorry.

On the other hand, as knc1 said, you can jailbreak it if you are comfortable using a serial port.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247480
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know about trying the serial port, I think I'd afraid of bricking the device.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
sety
sety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 90C6
I am using the serial port and I have root, but that's as far as I've got.
sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sety View Post
I am using the serial port and I have root, but that's as far as I've got.
How much further do you want to go?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And WE call it a: KT2
Even though it's real name is Kindle Touch Basic (aka KTB).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know about trying the serial port, I think I'd afraid of bricking the device.
I don't think bricking it is a real risk (if you follow the directions carefully) -- but physically destroying it is possible. Never fun to pry open the casing of a sealed device.

I don't blame you. Hopefully there will be better news sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, its real name is "Kindle" -- if you are going according to what Amazon says.
And no one AFAIK actually calls it a "Kindle Touch Basic" besides for you.

Thank you Professor Irrelevantly Wrong.

Because we really need a Kindle-hater here to tell us what to call our Kindles.

On which note, if http://amzn.com/kindle can be believed, it is the "Kindle Touch Screen E-Reader with Light" -- whoops!!

(Take a look at the titlebar.)

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-30-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, that is correct.

We considered KTB when picking the 2014 prefixes but the argument presented was that what Amazon considers basic this year might be very different from what they consider basic next (or in later) year(s).

Come to the party on time in 2015, maybe you can pick the prefixes for us then.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:26 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I cant see any difference in the 2 except the new KT lost the speakers some where... So wouldn't the Hacks for the org KT work on the new.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-30-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #11
sety

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How much further do you want to go?
Well I can't see myself draging a VT100 terminal down to the park on my lunch break to launch my favorite X apps.

Last edited by sety; 11-30-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
sety

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
You won't brick it. If you're patient you won't even damage it. All you need is good lighting and a steady hand (a few drinks helps)

The facia is just some self adhesive square thing... Peel it off with a hobby knife and stick it to the window so you don't lose it.

Under that is like 10 of the smallest torx screws I have ever seen (actually I couldn't see them and I had to borrow the tiny torx driver from a friend)

Once you remove them you just have to pry around the outer casing with a couple of credit cards and your'e done.

Oh... Earth it somewhere else... There is no point using the earth on the serial debug, it just makes the limited space even harder to work in.

Have fun!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

All detailed in my "KT2 Exposed" thread.

- - - - -

Ah, so - after a few minutes thought -
Neither of you knew that you have, what we tag as a "KT2".

Which brings to mind another FGA:
Bet you didn't know how to find out either:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

Drat! Newbees!
On forum index page - find row of boxes.
In left-most box, select "KT2" -
Now click the right-most box "Show Threads"

- - - - -

But to be fair, the 2014 prefixes where only activated in the past 24 hours.

Last edited by knc1; 11-30-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I cant see any difference in the 2 except the new KT lost the speakers some where... So wouldn't the Hacks for the org KT work on the new.
All you are seeing is the wrapper, i.e. the casing.

There is very little that did not change, from what I understand.

Most importantly, it has a different processor, the same one as the PW2.
Hacks for the PW2 should work on the KT2.

In any event, the issue here is exploiting a software hole to install the developer certificates, which is blocked in the software not hardware. If Amazon released the same update for the KT1, that would be un-jailbreakable as well.
Actually, not true. The KT1 has enabled USB downloader mode.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, as @eschartz said, while the shell might be closer to a KT, the hardware & software is actually closer to a PW2/KV .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote