Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-29-2024, 03:15 PM   #1
Savate
Enthusiast
Savate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Signature
Change after recent update to 5.16.7

I have just updated my Kindle Signature to the latest version 5.16.7

Is it my imagination or has the behaviour of text selection changed across screen breaks?

Before, I could drag a text highlight into the bottom right corner of the screen and it would jump to the next screen and I could carry on dragging the highlight. Now it seems that I can only highlight to the bottom of the screen, highlight that and then move to the next screen and start a new highlight from the top of that screen.

One consequence is that instead of one long selection being copied in to clippings.txt I now have multiple separate ones!
Savate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 06:12 PM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Let's change the font size or font face and try again.

With a flexible layout format, the concept of a 'page' becomes an illusion. When you change the font size or the font face, your 'page' changes accordingly.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:45 AM   #3
Savate
Enthusiast
Savate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enough

OK here's the issue!

It looks as if the 5.16.7 update has changed text selection behaviour by design. You cannot drag a text selection across screen breaks for any ebook that is not an 'official' Kindle book. So, an epub converted to AZW3 using e.g. using Calibre will not work correctly.

However, using the Kindle-to-epub converter seems to restore the correct text selection behaviour.

This is a bit of pain and I regard this is a retrograde step and although I understand it from the viewpoint of the Amazon 'business model' I don't like it one bit!.

See also my new post to the Calibre forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=359511
Old 03-01-2024, 07:19 AM   #4
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
I tested it here with an azw3 and it really isn't possible to make highlights that take up two pages. It remains to be seen whether this is really intentional on Amazon's part or whether it's just another bug that the recent updates have introduced.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:53 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savate View Post
OK here's the issue!

It looks as if the 5.16.7 update has changed text selection behaviour by design. You cannot drag a text selection across screen breaks for any ebook that is not an 'official' Kindle book. So, an epub converted to AZW3 using e.g. using Calibre will not work correctly.

However, using the Kindle-to-epub converter seems to restore the correct text selection behaviour.

This is a bit of pain and I regard this is a retrograde step and although I understand it from the viewpoint of the Amazon 'business model' I don't like it one bit!.

See also my new post to the Calibre forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=359511
You have probably figured it out but you can either 1) send ePub to Send To Kindle or 2) convert to KFX for side loading.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:12 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savate View Post
OK here's the issue!

Kindle to ePub when the Kindle doesn't read ePub?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 11:37 AM   #7
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindle to ePub when the Kindle doesn't read ePub?
I think he meant the Amazon conversion using "Send to Kindle".
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:40 PM   #8
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I find it hard to believe that this is a bug instead of being intentional. It makes little sense to change azw3 behaviour at all, since it's a legacy format that sees no updates.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 05:21 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
I find it hard to believe that this is a bug instead of being intentional. It makes little sense to change azw3 behaviour at all, since it's a legacy format that sees no updates.
Bugs cause unexpected behavior all the time. That has been the lived experience of anyone ever involved in software development.

All non-trivial software has bugs.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:10 PM   #10
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Azw3 files are displayed in a different reader than kfx files, it's lacking a few features, like embedded fonts, custom fonts, and I think that also cover display. Likewise, pdf's are displayed in a different reader than fixed page kfx files. For all purposes, fixed page kfx files and pdf files are identical, but pdf reader is simply inferior. It doesn't allow annotations, and it's not even running in full screen.

It may well be a bug that creeped in while they were fixing something else, but I'll keep my doubts up until it is fixed.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:55 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The azw3/KF8 does have embedded/custom fonts and cover (when Amazon isn't breaking something).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:55 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can use custom fonts with azw3 (for sure), I think embedded fonts as well.

No page flip or ligatures.

PDF does allow annotations. They just do not sync to other Kindles and Kindle apps.

I keep waiting for them to start delivering Print Replica instead, which would support annotation sync. The Kindle apps, along with Scribe, get Print Replica, and do sync annotations (highlights, text notes and bookmarks) and reading position. The apps do not yet show Pen annotations made on Scribe.

All of the Kindles which are running this version (and for several versions before) can render Print Replica if you go to the trouble of making one and side-load it.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-02-2024 at 11:01 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:40 PM   #13
Savate
Enthusiast

Issue resolved!"

Thanks for the replies folks! Helfpul stuff. I followed up on KFX format (which I have never used until now) and that works well for me. Installed the Calibre plugin (and also it needed the Amazon Previewer installed). It works well in Calibre Convert ...

Thanks again - KFX from here on!

And yes - I was a bit muddled in my posts. I did mean epub-to-Kindle and I should have made clear that I was using an epub converted to AZW3 via Cailbre. It was this that showed the changed text selection behaviour.

Anyway - it's all good now ...

Tags
change after update