Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Android on Paperwhite?

Has anybody ever installed android on a Kindle Paperwhite 3? Thanks!

Last edited by SKK; 02-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKK View Post
Has anybody ever installed android on a Kindle Paperwhite 3? Thanks! I meant android in the title but I can't change it now.
Someone in China does that, there is a thread here about it.

There have been signs that Lab126 has also been playing with Android on the gray scale Kindles.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Mr.Samuel
Connoisseur
Mr.Samuel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3, kindle oasis 2
I saw the video of that before, but I think it runs too slow.
Mr.Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

There have been signs that Lab126 has also been playing with Android on the gray scale Kindles.
If you would install android on it could you install an audio player and use a usb sound card. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you would install android on it could you install an audio player and use a usb sound card. Thanks!
The difference between the Android OS and the Linux OS is one (or two) additional kernel system calls.

The difference between the Amazon OS and the Linux OS is the display drivers (and some system calls to handle some of the differences).

Unless you are running an application directly on the kernel (hardware) interface, applications should never notice the difference.
Those differences are handled by the system 'C' library and applications are programed against the 'C' library.

The difference between the Android OS applications and the Amazon OS applications is the 'C' library (Bionic vs. GLibc) that they are programed against.

Since Linux uses ELF format libraries, you can run different 'C' libraries concurrently.

I wrote up a long, worked and working, example -
"ARMhf on Kindle" (or similar title, it does have "ARMhf" in it).

That was because the Amazon OS uses a soft float 'C' library build and the Debian/Jessie distribution uses a hard float 'C' library build.

So that thread shows how to install two (2!) different system 'C' libraries on Linux (on the '5 series firmware' Kindles).
(You can install and use concurrently as many different 'C' libraries that you need on an ELF format system.)

I even mentioned in that thread that you could also install a copy of the Bionic 'C' library if you wanted to run Android applications rather than Debian.
AND asked if anyone wanted to see that example.

Zip, Zero, Nada replies - nobody wanted to see how to run Android applications on a Kindle.
Neither did I, so I never included it in the thread.

Your welcome to re-open the thread and show by example how to run Android binaries on the series 5 firmware devices.
You'll have to rip out (or build) a Bionic 'C' library against the Amazon OS kernel headers - but that is almost a non-effort task.
Non-effort because there are already so many build systems out there for doing such a task.

Note:
Since the second (and subsequent) 'C' library is installed in a non-standard location of the system tree, the binary application files have to have a change made in their headers.

There is a tool for that: "patchelf" -
It is attached in that thread and the folks at Buildroot.org included the ability to build it for the host build machine in the Buildroot, build system.
Just for us.

Re-building the single system library file, for which multiple build systems exist, is much easier than replacing the entire OS.

= = = =

Another of my wasted efforts and wastes of time on a subject too technical for the audience of this forum and at the time we still had a few developers here with a background in system's level work.

Last edited by knc1; 02-01-2017 at 09:02 AM.
Advert
Old 02-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
SKK
Addict

Quote:
The difference between the Android OS and the Linux OS is one (or two) additional kernel system calls.

The difference between the Amazon OS and the Linux OS is the display drivers (and some system calls to handle some of the differences).

Unless you are running an application directly on the kernel (hardware) interface, applications should never notice the difference.
Those differences are handled by the system 'C' library and applications are programed against the 'C' library.

The difference between the Android OS applications and the Amazon OS applications is the 'C' library (Bionic vs. GLibc) that they are programed against.

Since Linux uses ELF format libraries, you can run different 'C' libraries concurrently.

I wrote up a long, worked and working, example -
"ARMhf on Kindle" (or similar title, it does have "ARMhf" in it).

That was because the Amazon OS uses a soft float 'C' library build and the Debian/Jessie distribution uses a hard float 'C' library build.

So that thread shows how to install two (2!) different system 'C' libraries on Linux (on the '5 series firmware' Kindles).
(You can install and use concurrently as many different 'C' libraries that you need on an ELF format system.)

I even mentioned in that thread that you could also install a copy of the Bionic 'C' library if you wanted to run Android applications rather than Debian.
AND asked if anyone wanted to see that example.

Zip, Zero, Nada replies - nobody wanted to see how to run Android applications on a Kindle.
Neither did I, so I never included it in the thread.

Your welcome to re-open the thread and show by example how to run Android binaries on the series 5 firmware devices.
You'll have to rip out (or build) a Bionic 'C' library against the Amazon OS kernel headers - but that is almost a non-effort task.
Non-effort because there are already so many build systems out there for doing such a task.

Note:
Since the second (and subsequent) 'C' library is installed in a non-standard location of the system tree, the binary application files have to have a change made in their headers.

There is a tool for that: "patchelf" -
It is attached in that thread and the folks at Buildroot.org included the ability to build it for the host build machine in the Buildroot, build system.
Just for us.

Re-building the single system library file, for which multiple build systems exist, is much easier than replacing the entire OS.

= = = =

Another of my wasted efforts and wastes of time on a subject too technical for the audience of this forum and at the time we still had a few developers here with a background in system's level work.
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for your help!
For several years, I even kept a 'hot' clone of the Android repository(ies) that was updated every six hours.

I took it down, zero interest in using it and a waste of my server's computer time for a non-interest project.

So I advise that you approach the "Android Apps on Kindle" project as something that only you will ever use.
But of course you will get all "Bragging Rights" due to the author of such a project.
But get community interest here .....
Don't hold your breath.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
What signs?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
What signs?
Buy a grayscale Kindle and look for yourself.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Buy a grayscale Kindle and look for yourself.
Oooh, so grouchy.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-01-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
SKK
Addict

Okay. How about arch linux on a kindle paperwhite 3. I found a guide on how to do it on Kindle Paperwhite 2 but it didn't work for my kindle paperwhite 3. When i ran "chroot ./ /bin/bash" it said fatal kernel to old.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Okay. How about arch linux on a kindle paperwhite 3. I found a guide on how to do it on Kindle Paperwhite 2 but it didn't work for my kindle paperwhite 3. When i ran "chroot ./ /bin/bash" it said fatal kernel to old.
Either build a newer kernel or re-build arch linux against the kernel headers for your version.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Oooh, so grouchy.
No, not that (although if you looked up my personal info here, you where warned).

The nature of you question made it very clear that your reply to any response would some version of:
"That doesn't convince me."

Since I can't tell in advance what you would consider convincing, your the one that needs to do the research.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #14
GF298
GF298 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle7
Quote:

Here is the link:http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4125453538

the kindle will be sent to someone to change the inside of the kindle that can run Android,not to wipe it.
GF298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
The nature of you question made it very clear that your reply to any response would some version of:
"That doesn't convince me."
You are utterly wrong. I like Android on e-ink devices, and any interest Amazon showed in using android would interest me. It's the first I heard about it.