Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Boox Poke Pro and Play Store?

After a rather bad experience with my Boox T68, I have been using the Kobo Aura H20.
However, it didn't really offer the kind of customization I like, and, I recently discovered Scribd, which I would like to have installed on an e-Ink device.

So I was considering to buy a Boox again, but I just read in this article on Goodereader:
Quote:
If you have an existing e-reader and you have bound your Google account before March 16th 2018, you are going to be alright. If you have just purchased a new Android e-reader or factory defaulted your existing one, you will no longer be able to access Play.
And for me, the beauty of a reader like the Boox was, that I could install whichever app I liked...

So my questions;
  • Is it true that it isn't possible anylonger to install apps from Google Play?
  • I presume it is at least still possible to install apps from APK's?

Last edited by AnneT; 12-22-2018 at 01:22 PM.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Hint: Goodereader is not always reliable.

I don't have a Poke Pro but a Nova. Google Play works well on the Nova, with a couple of bugs which the next update should fix. The main bug is that Play Store doesn't seem to "remember" what apps you already own, but you can purchase and download apps, or install sideloaded apks, just fine.

Play Store needs to be installed in a simple process when you get the device, but it will work.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Google wont allow playstore to work. It says the poke is an unregistered device. It is simple to sideload and install apks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for answering...
I just ordered the Poke Pro from Booxtor's ereader.store. He writes there that 'It is definitely possible to enable and use Google account and Play Store on all our devices'.
And if I don't succeed in having the Play Store running, I can always turn to installing the apps I want via apk's.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I guess it's possible. I just haven't bothered. I tended to sideload apks with my old e-reader, so it's what I do anyway.
Google blocking non-standard devices is a new thing, so I don't know how to unblock the playstore, or if it can be done.
But the pro is android 6 and runs tons of things. It's extremely versatile if you're happy to sideload.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I guess it's possible. I just haven't bothered. I tended to sideload apks with my old e-reader, so it's what I do anyway.
Google blocking non-standard devices is a new thing, so I don't know how to unblock the playstore, or if it can be done.
But the pro is android 6 and runs tons of things. It's extremely versatile if you're happy to sideload.
I donot remember, but i have unblocked my Poke Pro - so Play Store is running.
A number was shown when trying to register Google Apps and this number did it
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
AnneT
Groupie

So I received my Poke Pro today.
Booxtor already provided me with a YouTube video to show how I could enable Google Play Store.
Having done that without a problem, I ran into another issue: When I tried to install a few previously purchased apps, they didn't show up as purchased, and I was not able to install them, or to purchase them again. The workaround provided on ereader-store.eu didn't work either.
However, when I tried to get Gmail to work, I got a notice I had to update Google Play Services, and after having done that, all the apps I had paid for showed up as purchased.