Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-24-2015, 12:54 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
It has occurred to me that I don't see a definition of the term "Classic" in the OP. I don't see offhand where we first discussed this issue. Can someone please provide me with a link to the original discussion?

As I recall, there was some debate about whether a book needed to have a certain age on it before it would be considered a classic.

I'll let others consider that. But I would like to add another element.

It seems to me that for a book to be considered a classic, a great many readers must be aware of both 1) its existence, and 2) its good reputation.

Looking at the list of nominations (thus far) in post #2, I see four books I've never heard of before. I am not passing judgment on their merits, but I'm doubtful that English language books I've never heard of can fairly be considered Classics with a capital C.
the problem is that there are some that would define a classic as an old book. There can be books that are a lot more recently written that are classics. Take The Colour of Magic. It is a classic in the fantasy genre. Discworld is a classic series.

There are two nominated books that I have never heard of and one I would not call a classic. The rest, I would call classics. But just because I've never heard of two books before does not make them inappropriate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #62
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Although the first Discworld novel was written in the early 80s, making it seem too young to be a classic, I think it fits. The longevity and continued popularity of the series through some 40 novels speaks in its favour and the fact that the series made Pratchett the best selling author in the UK for a decade with multiple books featured in Top 100s etc.. etc..

Popularity in itself doesn't make books Classics, but I get a sense that the whimsical Discworld books are going to be for fantasy what Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is to Science Fiction.

I may never read any of them - although I do own The Colour of Magic so you never know - but I'm willing to think of them as standing the test of time.

I wouldn't say the same about Good Omens though. That choice seemed incongruous to me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
It has occurred to me that I don't see a definition of the term "Classic" in the OP. I don't see offhand where we first discussed this issue. Can someone please provide me with a link to the original discussion?

As I recall, there was some debate about whether a book needed to have a certain age on it before it would be considered a classic.

I'll let others consider that. But I would like to add another element.

It seems to me that for a book to be considered a classic, a great many readers must be aware of both 1) its existence, and 2) its good reputation.

Looking at the list of nominations (thus far) in post #2, I see four books I've never heard of before. I am not passing judgment on their merits, but I'm doubtful that English language books I've never heard of can fairly be considered Classics with a capital C.
I don't consider the Pratchetts or Clavell to be classics; the rest clearly are. But I figure it's up to the group to decide. Reasonable people can disagree and all that. And with that in mind, I think it's distasteful for people to attack other choices; it would be better just to make a persuasive case in favor of a nomination and let it go at that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't consider the Pratchetts or Clavell to be classics; the rest clearly are. But I figure it's up to the group to decide. Reasonable people can disagree and all that. And with that in mind, I think it's distasteful for people to attack other choices; it would be better just to make a persuasive case in favor of a nomination and let it go at that.
Bravo. I agree 100%. Let the poll decide.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #65
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am pulling for For Whom the Bell Tolls. I am not much for re-reading and the bookclub has already done a Steinbeck selection, but Cannery Row is a great read. It is also short to give people a chance to digest other things and bask in Steinbeck's characters and descriptions of setting.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I am pulling for For Whom the Bell Tolls. I am not much for re-reading and the bookclub has already done a Steinbeck selection, but Cannery Row is a great read. It is also short to give people a chance to digest other things and bask in Steinbeck's characters and descriptions of setting.
I'll give you credit for that and will follow you anywhere....i.e. I'm going for the Hemingway....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #67
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
To move things along, I'll third The Importance of Being Earnest, Manhattan Transfer, and Under the Volcano.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #68
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
To move things along, I'll third The Importance of Being Earnest, Manhattan Transfer, and Under the Volcano.
Whooooooosh!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #69
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
And I'll third Oliver Twist for the last slot.

Last edited by jemc; 03-24-2015 at 12:12 PM.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #70
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
And I'll third Oliver Twist.
♫ ba da bing ba da boom ♫

Last edited by kennyc; 03-24-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #71
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
♫ ba da bing ba da boom ♫
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Now we just need one more nod for The Colour of Magic and the voting can begin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #73
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
And I'll third Oliver Twist for the last slot.
And that makes 10! The nominations are now closed and I'll be back soon with the poll.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The poll is posted. Let the games begin.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I just did the poll on my wife's Mac, so let me know if there are any errors.