Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
The cycle

No not a motercycle, I'm talking about the productive cycles of authors.

October is normally one of the prime months for new books, but this coming October is the first October in quite a few years when none of my A-List authors has a new book coming out. I have 4 books on pre-order, but all are what I tend to think of a B-List authors. I define A-list authors as authors who I will stay up late at night reading and whose books immediate get read while B-list authors are authors that I like, but whom I find it easy to put down and whose books are put into the queue to be read.

J.K. Rowlings was an example of an A-List author (there is a reason that her last several Harry Potter books was released on a Friday night). Jim Butcher is another (though I can't say that all his books were A-list). This year, most of my A-list authors are either in slowing down stage of their career or just finished a series and are taking some time before the next set of books.

In general, I've found that most top of the line authors tend to write one or two books a year. Rick Riordan is normally a two book per year guy, but he finished off the Magnus Chase series last fall and hasn't started a new one yet (the Trials of Apollo is currently his Spring series). Jonathan Stroud is a fall author, but he just finished up his Lockwood and Co series last year.

In general, most authors who are successful and stay in the business a while seem to go through a cycle. When they first get published, they start pumping out books like clock work for one or two decades, then they start to slow down. Either the genre passes them by, or they move to being the name author with a lesser known co-author, or the dreaded writer's block catches them. Some get around this by moving between genres to stay fresh.

Jim Butcher seems to be in that area where he has slowed down a lot. He hasn't come out with a new novel in 3+ years, yet for 2000 to 2012 he came out with a new book every year. David Weber started in 1990 and has kept up a steady stream of books by a combination of moving between series and working with various co-authors. So far he hasn't shown any real sign of slowing down.

The flip side of this is Patrick Rothfus who was 4 years between his first major book and his second and we are now in year 7 of waiting for book 3 with no end in sight.

My biggest issue is that it's been a while since I've run across a new A-list author. Patrick Rothfuss came out with Name of the Wind in 2007. Larry Correia also came out with Monster Hunter International in 2007. I've run across authors that I've liked since then, but not any new authors where I just couldn't put down the book. Fortunately, I still have a good dozen or so A-list writers who are still active, though some are in that slow down period of their career.

When and who was the last time people here ran across a new A-list author?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If Rowlings is one of your A-List authors, in case you missed it, she does have a book scheduled for this October.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If Rowlings is one of your A-List authors, in case you missed it, she does have a book scheduled for this October.
I don't really count the scripts or specialty books like Tales of Beedle (sp) the Bard, much like I don't really count the short story books by Butcher pr Correia.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't really count the scripts or specialty books like Tales of Beedle (sp) the Bard, much like I don't really count the short story books by Butcher pr Correia.
How about her Robert Galbraith books? Lethal White is supposed to be released in October.

I didn't mean to start on what an A-list author is, just trying to help in case you missed her latest up-coming release.

Oops, I got my months mixed up. Lethal White is this month.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Never mind, I was too slow.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I think focusing primarily on series authors badly skews your "In general, I've found that most top of the line authors tend to write one or two books a year" claim (never mind the what qualifies as your definition of top-of-the-line authors). There are actually very few non-series (which may or may not translate to non-genre) authors who enter the game at a 1.5 books per year clip.

I also think this is another perfect example of series-writing having the tendency to "hamstring" both readers and authors a bit. Authors slowly (or sometimes quickly) run out of material that they've outlined ahead of time (or at the very least brainstormed heavily) for the series that elevated them to prominence in the first place; and readers have invested so much time and emotion in some of these lengthy arcs that even the best first book of a new series by the best new author ever won't be able to compete with their evolved notion of "couldn't put it down." In many instances, the initial book of a series by a new author (new to me) that I couldn't put down was read by a 15, 20, or 30-year younger version of myself. I'm not certain I would make it past the first book of many series/authors that younger me couldn't put down if I had first encountered them today.

All series decline, and most authors who stick all of their eggs in one basket do, too (at least in terms of prolific-ness). So I agree with your "cycle" in general (though I think it only really applies to series authors), but I disagree that there's no new "A-listers" coming along to whose work "can't be put down." I find new favorite authors every year. So ...

Quote:
When and who was the last time people here ran across a new A-list author?
Probably last month. But then, I don't allow myself to get too bogged down by series any more either, so I probably try more new authors in general. I'm not going to name names since clearly "A-List" is highly subjective and argumentative to begin with.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think focusing primarily on series authors badly skews your "In general, I've found that most top of the line authors tend to write one or two books a year" claim (never mind the what qualifies as your definition of top-of-the-line authors). There are actually very few non-series (which may or may not translate to non-genre) authors who enter the game at a 1.5 books per year clip.

I also think this is another perfect example of series-writing having the tendency to "hamstring" both readers and authors a bit. Authors slowly (or sometimes quickly) run out of material that they've outlined ahead of time (or at the very least brainstormed heavily) for the series that elevated them to prominence in the first place; and readers have invested so much time and emotion in some of these lengthy arcs that even the best first book of a new series by the best new author ever won't be able to compete with their evolved notion of "couldn't put it down." In many instances, the initial book of a series by a new author (new to me) that I couldn't put down was read by a 15, 20, or 30-year younger version of myself. I'm not certain I would make it past the first book of many series/authors that younger me couldn't put down if I had first encountered them today.

All series decline, and most authors who stick all of their eggs in one basket do, too (at least in terms of prolific-ness). So I agree with your "cycle" in general (though I think it only really applies to series authors), but I disagree that there's no new "A-listers" coming along to whose work "can't be put down." I find new favorite authors every year. So ...

Probably last month. But then, I don't allow myself to get too bogged down by series any more either, so I probably try more new authors in general. I'm not going to name names since clearly "A-List" is highly subjective and argumentative to begin with.
I don't necessarily focus on series authors, but it does seem like many of the authors in the genre that I like (SF&F) tend to write series. My perception is that mystery and thriller writers tend towards series as well, but I'm not as versed in those genre.

I think that in a number of series, the first book tends to be readable as a stand alone since no one really knows if it's going to be a success. Obviously once an author has a following, his or her new series don't follow that pattern.

I suspect that series tend to follow on really good books, rather than really good books are originally designed as the first of a series.

I've found that I read a lot faster than authors write, so it's not so much getting bogged down in series. I will frequently go through a couple of cycles of trying a number of new authors each year. For example, I've purchased books from 16 new authors just since the 1st of June, none I consider A-List and only 4 of which made me want to buy more of their books. I had a similar cycle back in January/Feb and will likely do the same in Nov/Dec. For me the issue isn't trying new authors, it's finding authors that really excite me.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me the issue isn't trying new authors, it's finding authors that really excite me.
For that to happen, I've found that I need to step outside of my comfort zone. The worst mistake I've made as a reader is in assuming that I'm the foremost authority on what I might like. When in fact, I'm only an authority on what I have liked so far.

In order to find new authors that excite me, I have to look in places that my old favorites probably wouldn't hang out. For me, familiarity breeds complacency and mediocrity. I'll circle back to styles and tropes I've enjoyed in the past from time to time, but there's only so much "new and exciting" to be gleaned from sticking exclusively to what you've pre-decided "you like."
Old 09-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I don't think I have any "A List" authors in the sense that their latest book goes right to the top of my reading list. I have authors I follow and if their latest book looks okay it will certainly go on my to read list. Occasionally I will read it next. More often it just goes on to the list. My "list" doesn't have any order for reading. Quite often I'll read one book and have no idea of what I am going to read next. It depends on a multitude of subjective factors including my mood at the time. Sometimes nothing on the list is what I want to read at the moment so I'll look elsewhere for something that is, and read it immediately. Normally this will not relate to author but to plots or subjects which attract my interest.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I don't think I have any "A List" authors in the sense that their latest book goes right to the top of my reading list. I have authors I follow and if their latest book looks okay it will certainly go on my to read list. Occasionally I will read it next. More often it just goes on to the list. My "list" doesn't have any order for reading. Quite often I'll read one book and have no idea of what I am going to read next. It depends on a multitude of subjective factors including my mood at the time. Sometimes nothing on the list is what I want to read at the moment so I'll look elsewhere for something that is, and read it immediately. Normally this will not relate to author but to plots or subjects which attract my interest.
Yea, my reading list is basically a group of books that I've tagged as books that I know I want to read and normally isn't in any particular order. What I read next tends to be very mood driven. Of course, an anticipated book from a favored author tends to change my mood.

I get the impression that I'm a lot more oriented towards specific author voice than some here. I use the phrase author voice because some authors can have very different styles or flavor of writing depending on what they are writing. For example, I think that the Jim Butcher's author voice in the Dresden Files is very different from his author voice in the Codex Alera series. I really like the Dresden Files books, but had trouble getting into the Codex Alera series. It was almost like they were written by different authors. For me, author voice trumps plot or sub-genre. David Weber, on the other hand, tends to have a fairly consistent author voice even when he is writing in very different genres.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Funny you mention David Weber. He has slowed down IMHO. Long waits between the next Honor Harrington book (or any of the spinoff's). Long waits for the Off Armageddon reef series.

Orson Scott Card had a stroke, so it's understandable. But still...I miss his old pace of releasing books. I'm not one of those who mind when an author takes on a co-writer, writes together, and eventually passes the torch. But I don't think OSC is setting himself up for that.

I'm a comfort reader. I love long series where I already know the universe, the characters and it's just a new story. Even though today's Dune books (another series of wait wait wait) or Jack Ryan books are nothing like the original few (even when the original authors were still writing)....I just love reading books in those universes.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In order to find new authors that excite me, I have to look in places that my old favorites probably wouldn't hang out. For me, familiarity breeds complacency and mediocrity. I'll circle back to styles and tropes I've enjoyed in the past from time to time, but there's only so much "new and exciting" to be gleaned from sticking exclusively to what you've pre-decided "you like."
Unfortunately, you can kiss a lot of toads before you find your next prince.

I seem to be in a two-star rut right now. I abandon books with abandon, but these haven't been quite bad enough for the heave-ho.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Unfortunately, you can kiss a lot of toads before you find your next prince.
Oh, absolutely! But I've found I'd much rather abandon a steady stream of stuff that doesn't work for me than to limit myself to a diet of works that I already know I'll probably like. "Like" not "love" being the probable outcome of me sticking hard to a formula that yesterday's version of me favored.

I'm a very fickle reader when it comes to favorite authors /(sub)genres in general. Forget last year (or last week). I'm more of a "what have you done to wow me yesterday?" kind of guy. If the answer is not much—time to move on to different pastures. At least temporarily, anyway. Anything mind-blowing I may miss as a consequence will still be there (and new) whenever I circle back around.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-12-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Funny you mention David Weber. He has slowed down IMHO. Long waits between the next Honor Harrington book (or any of the spinoff's). Long waits for the Off Armageddon reef series.

Orson Scott Card had a stroke, so it's understandable. But still...I miss his old pace of releasing books. I'm not one of those who mind when an author takes on a co-writer, writes together, and eventually passes the torch. But I don't think OSC is setting himself up for that.

I'm a comfort reader. I love long series where I already know the universe, the characters and it's just a new story. Even though today's Dune books (another series of wait wait wait) or Jack Ryan books are nothing like the original few (even when the original authors were still writing)....I just love reading books in those universes.
Funny you should mention David Weber.
The new Honor Harrington is due out October 2, 2018 and the new Safehold is due out January 8, 2018.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

I had assumed that Weber had slowed down a bit, but then I double checked

Sword of the South - August 2015
Hell's Foundations Quiver - Oct 2015
A Call to Arms - Oct 2015
The Road to Hell - March, 2016
At the Sign of Triumph - Nov. 2016
Shadow of Victory - Nov. 2016

A Call To Vengeance - March, 2018
Uncompromising Honor - Oct, 2018
Through Fiery Trials - Jan 2019

So basically, he had a gap of a year and a half from Nov 2016 to March 2018.

I agree with you on comfort reading. There are a lot of times where I'm just looking to get lost in a book and that's when I go for either familiar worlds or old favorites. I've also found that audio books can give me a fresh look at old favorites.