Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
Barra
Barra began at the beginning.

Device: none
Stop audio on another page for Epub3

I have audio clips on each page in my book. However, if the user chooses to play a clip, I wish for only one clip to be heard at a time. I have solved this for a single page using JavaScript but I don’t know how to do it for multiple pages. In other words I don’t want multiple audio clips playing at once. And I want all audio to stop when the user turns the page.

I thought that maybe I could store a “current page” variable in a cookie or session with each page monitoring this variable using JavaScript. But I read somewhere that cookies can’t be shared between pages. Is this true and how can I stop the audio playing when a new clip is chosen?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Barra
Barra began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have tested and it looks like session data isn't shared between pages in ibooks. How do I stop audio playing on one page when I move to another page?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
I have tested and it looks like session data isn't shared between pages in ibooks. How do I stop audio playing on one page when I move to another page?
Are you saying that your audio clip continues to play when the user flips the page?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
It might be a slightly different use case for what you're trying to do, but have you looked into using "media-overlays" (e.g. SMIL files + audio + XML Markup + OPF udpates)?

https://www.w3.org/publishing/epub3/...aoverlays.html
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChaim View Post
It might be a slightly different use case for what you're trying to do, but have you looked into using "media-overlays" (e.g. SMIL files + audio + XML Markup + OPF udpates)?

How many programs that support ePub 3 support media overlays?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChaim View Post

SMIL files are how we do it, FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #7
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How many programs that support ePub 3 support media overlays?
I admittedly don't know for certain, but I thought most of the majors did and what most considered 'best practice' if you're trying to create something like a "Read Along" book. But, it too early/I've not have any coffee for me to get excited about finding sources to confirm. :-P

IMHO: I would hope that readers/apps support this part of the spec for it's usefulness (and roots in accessibility), over a custom JavaScript implementation. I appreciate that it might not meet the need of the use case of the EPUB creator, but I think it allows for a better, more consistent UX.
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Advanced ePub 3 features is a crap shoot outside of iBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, epub, epub 3