Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, the thing to do is contact the thrift store there it came from to request t be returned.
Some things aren’t worth pursuing. MMV, obviously, but for $5 in a situation where caveat emptor would apply, the nuisance would be hard to justify. I also would expect an “all sales final” policy in that type of store, especially these days.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:58 AM   #17
TidusWulf
TidusWulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Glow+6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you don’t want to help, don’t help. That’s easy. It’s best not to impugn others’ motives, though. There was a recent unfortunate thread where the seller of a blacklisted device was referred to as a thief, which was not the case. If you think somethng’s against MR rules, report it. Otherwise, let it go.

The reality in this situation of a $5 thrift purchase of an item where the original owner hasn’t a hope of getting it back and moved on long ago is that it’s a trivial issue no matter where you fall on it. And people in these situations who talk about getting the police involved or contacting the original owner through the storefront are, quite frankly, nuts. It’s worth no one’s while.
Indeed. The Nook had a completely dead battery when I grabbed it off the shelf so it was out of use for some time, I'm sure. Not to mention that it had a software update which, by the looks of things online, came out months ago. I had to plug it into a wall charger at the store and wait a good 20 minutes for it to boot up. Then, once I confirmed it worked I bought it. Who knew it would lead to this. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I think such a device could still have ebooks side-loaded to it and read on the device.
It sure can. My earlier post goes into detail of rooting and installing KoReader on the Nook, which can read ebooks just fine. It's not as "elegant" as the built in Nook reader, but it does its job very well, and has tons of extra features that stock readers just don't have. Anyone with an android phone should download it and take a look at it, just to get a taste of what ereaders could do. Koreader works for all Nook models, as well as Kindles, Kobos, and more.
TidusWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2020, 02:10 AM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, the thing to do is contact the thrift store there it came from to request t be returned.
Buddy, it's a five year old device purchased for $5 from a thrift shop. The mafia isn't involved. Let it go.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:15 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusWulf View Post
It sure can. My earlier post goes into detail of rooting and installing KoReader on the Nook, which can read ebooks just fine. It's not as "elegant" as the built in Nook reader, but it does its job very well, and has tons of extra features that stock readers just don't have.
I'm glad you got it working. I think the Glowlight Plus is a very nice reader (though the haptic Home button could drive you crazy).

I personally like the stock Nook software, but I've never used KOReader, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:18 AM   #20
TidusWulf

You're probably not missing anything that matters. As long as you can turn pages with one tap and change the font size/spacing/etc. who cares about the niche stuff. lol. The experience is the same. It's all just words on a page.
Advert
Old 11-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #21
TidusWulf

Hi guys. Just an update: Even though I could bypass the Nook app registration prompt, the Nook ran like garbage. The RelauncherX is not ideal for the Nook GL+. It wasn't user friendly. I went a different route and installed a total custom firmware package here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/noo...mware-t4074347

It worked great on the first try. I'm much happier with this method instead of leaving the stock firmware on the device. It's more responsive, the UI is more user friendly for a Nook device, and I think that this is the way to go if you end up like me with a blacklisted device. It feels like a premium product now. Which it should, because if it wasn't blacklisted, it would've been.

Downside is I can't access the Nook store, but Honestly I have always either bought from places like Smashwords, or done digital library borrows, so for me it's business as usual.