Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 02:44 AM   #61
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
I use Calibre only to edit epub files. I use it for nothing else. Version 3.48 works fine for me, and I'm fine with that. I will save time in the future by not having to update the program every week.

At some time in the future, I'll upgrade to 64-bit, but I'm in no hurry to do that and have no need to do that at this time.
Sounds like a good plan.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:15 AM   #62
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@deback - I think you need to resolve the conundrum of why you built a system that appears to be plenty good enough to run Windows 10 64 bit yet you installed Window 10 32 bit.
That's exactly what I don't get. I mean, if one really needs a 32bits system (who knows), why then install 16GB of ram? Unless he already had a single 16GB stick. A 4GB stick would provide the maximum memory the system can handle.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #63
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@thiago.eec - if you read through the thread deback hinted that at the time he built his system he ran into a roadblock that 'forced' him down the 32bit narrow path.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #64
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@thiago.eec - if you read through the thread deback hinted that at the time he built his system he ran into a roadblock that 'forced' him down the 32bit narrow path.
BR
I understand that he might need a 32bit system. I just said that if a person wants/needs a 32bit Windows, then this person could save a few bucks and use just a 4GB memory stick.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@deback, install Calibre 4.2 and then run in safe mode to see if it works. Maybe it's something you run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #66
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
It would be surprising if a GT730 could not handle the new Calibre software while the much older and the contemporary aged boards I tested can. Maybe you have something else amiss (I think you have hinted at other problems?).
The only problem I have is about once every month or so, the screen will freeze for a few seconds and will have yellow squiggly lines. The system will either restart itself or will recover within a few seconds. I haven't been able to find what causes this problem, but it might not have anything to do with the video card.

All I can tell you is this computer runs very well, is very fast, and the only problem I've had with Calibre is the slow File Preview window after I upgraded to 4.0 or later. This doesn't occur with 3.48. I don't believe the problem is with my video card or with the 32-bit OS. I believe it has something to do with the code in the software.

Last edited by deback; 10-23-2019 at 07:27 AM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #67
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

@deback - I think you need to resolve the conundrum of why you built a system that appears to be plenty good enough to run Windows 10 64 bit yet you installed Window 10 32 bit.

BR
As I previously said, when I built this system, I used the Samsung Migration software to copy my original hard drive to the new Samsung SSD, so I did not install Windows after I built this system.

I had installed the 64-bit Windows a few months before I built this system, and after the installation, the OS was not working properly. After not being able to solve the problems I had after the 64-bit installation, I reinstalled the 32-bit Windows, and then the computer worked fine.

The bottom line is that this little problem I'm having with the slowness in the File Preview has nothing to do with running Windows 32-bit or with my video card. It has something to do with the code in version 4.0 and later. I'm perfectly fine with using version 3.48 from now on.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I previously said, when I built this system, I used the Samsung Migration software to copy my original hard drive to the new Samsung SSD, so I did not install Windows after I built this system.

I had installed the 64-bit Windows a few months before I built this system, and after the installation, the OS was not working properly. After not being able to solve the problems I had after the 64-bit installation, I reinstalled the 32-bit Windows, and then the computer worked fine.

The bottom line is that this little problem I'm having with the slowness in the File Preview has nothing to do with running Windows 32-bit or with my video card. It has something to do with the code in version 4.0 and later. I'm perfectly fine with using version 3.48 from now on.
Try my safe mode suggestion just to rule out anything you run on start up.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #69
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
I understand that he might need a 32bit system. I just said that if a person wants/needs a 32bit Windows, then this person could save a few bucks and use just a 4GB memory stick.
She wasn't concerned with saving a few bucks when she bought the 16GB of RAM. She bought the 16GB of RAM for future use.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #70
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try my safe mode suggestion just to rule out anything you run on start up.
I'll try that, but first, I'll try it after closing out all programs that I have loaded at startup (after I install 4.2 again). If the problem still exists, then I'll try Safe Mode. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #71
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
She wasn't concerned with saving a few bucks when she bought the 16GB of RAM. She bought the 16GB of RAM for future use.
Ok, then.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:52 AM   #72
deback
Book E d i t o r

Tests just done:

Closed out all programs that were open (at startup and after startup). Installed Calibre 4.2. First edit: Took 5 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Took 3 seconds for the full rendering.

Booted in Safe Mode, with no networking: First edit: Took 5 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Took 3 seconds for the full rendering.

Booted in Normal Mode: First edit: Took 5 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Took 3 seconds for the full rendering.

Next step is to downgrade back to Calibre 3.48. First edit: Will take 0 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Will take 0 seconds for the full rendering.

Last edited by deback; 10-23-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Tests just done:

Closed out all programs that were open (at startup and after startup). Installed Calibre 4.2. First edit: Took 5 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Took 3 seconds for the full rendering.

Booted in Safe Mode, with no networking: First edit: Took 5 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Took 3 seconds for the full rendering.

Booted in Normal Mode: First edit: Took 5 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Took 3 seconds for the full rendering.

Next step is to downgrade back to Calibre 3.48. First edit: Will take 0 seconds for the File Viewer to be fully rendered. Subsequent edits: Will take 0 seconds for the full rendering.
The performance you are seeing is actually quite good. And the next version of Calibre will be even faster. So don't give up on 4.2 just yet.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #74
deback
Book E d i t o r

Thanks, but I have to give up on 4.2 now, because in the last week, it has crashed (editor window disappeared) two or three times while I was editing epub files. I've gotten in the habit of hitting either F4 or F9 to save the file after each edit or after every couple of edits, due to crashing problems I had months ago, so I usually don't lose much every time it crashes, but it's still very annoying when the window I'm working in disappears suddenly with no warning.

I have 3.48 installed now (which hasn't ever crashed at all that I can remember), and I'll just wait until more bugs have been fixed before I try it again. In 3.48, editing takes zero seconds for the rendering to be complete, and the text in the File Viewer window doesn't move at all after each edit. I prefer to use the no annoyances-no distractions-no crashes version of Calibre.

Last edited by deback; 10-23-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #75
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
a 32 bit system (in any form) has been hobbled by today's standards.
Having 16G of RAM would be fine if you were running Linux. You are not.
32 Bit Win has coded 3G as the wall (same folk who brought you 'Who needs more than 640K )
And who would ever need more than two digits for reading a date.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote