Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you upload dual Mobi to cloud, does it actually send AZW3/KF8 to the Kindle? Because I seem to recall testing a dual Mobi file (created with kindlegen, uploaded using Send to Kindle for PC) and the version downloaded to my PW3 from Amazon Cloud was just plain Mobi.
If the dual mobi is created with Calibre, then it works...sometimes. I haven't been able to figure out why it works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. If you create it using Kindlegen, though, it *always* sends kf8 to Kindles that can use that format.

I would absolutely love it if someone could create a plugin that uses Kindlegen, but nobody seems interested, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I would absolutely love it if someone could create a plugin that uses Kindlegen, but nobody seems interested, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Shari
You'd begin by:

a) Learning Python. There are lots of free tutorials.
b) Reading Calibre's developer documentation.
c) Looking at other Calibre plugins to see how they work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are you a Calibre user? If so, you can convert the mobi to azw3 yourself with Calibre then help others by attaching the azw3 to a message in the thread where the mobi is posted. Over time the entire mobi library could be converted with no one person having to do that much work and the mobi would continue to be available to those that can not use azw3.

Somewhat better would be to start with the epub version and convert that to azw3.
I have a few AZW3 versions of mobileread library books, originally in epub, which I've converted using Calibre. Does anyone want me to somehow contribute them to the library? I haven't done anything wonderful, like correcting typos, all that work was done by the creator of the epub.

Just thought I'd save others the hassle of conversion. As the quote says, if we all convert a few . .
I use AZW3 because I sideload everything, so cloud storage isn't an issue.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, from the posting guidelines: "There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes." So if it's just a run-of-the-mill calibre conversion, don't.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, from the posting guidelines: "There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes." So if it's just a run-of-the-mill calibre conversion, don't.
Although a new thread for a run of the mill conversion would clutter the Mobileread Library, what is the harm of attaching an additional format variant to a new post in the original thread?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Although a new thread for a run of the mill conversion would clutter the Mobileread Library, what is the harm of attaching an additional format variant to a new post in the original thread?
1. it won't be indexed properly in the library, so people won't find it.
2. It may get out of date if the original is updated.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no one format which is optimal for all situations.

A Mobi7 book is compact and can be sent to the Cloud, but doesn't support new features.

A dual Mobi is twice the size of a Mobi 7 or AZW3 book, but can be uploaded to the Cloud. Hence not ideal for side-loading if you want to maximise the number of books you can fit on your Kindle (which is not a concern for many, of course).

An AZW3 is compact and supports all the whizzy new features, but can't be sent to the Cloud.

Your choice .
To be honest, the cloud can go rain. I would rather a better format eBook then one that is less readable and by less readable, mobi on a Kindle is less readable then KF8 on a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So the moderator opinion seems to be: don't bother.

As someone who uses the library, I would far rather have the books in AZW3 format, from the original creator, rather than the old mobi. What I've started doing is downloading epub and converting. Maybe not all members would know that this was the best method, and this could lead to the question: how do I use custom fonts? coming up again and again.

So I would say that the onus is on the creator, rather than anyone coming along with a converted version. Could the original creators of the kindle library books go back through their creations and convert them?
Especially as help from other members seems to complicate matters.

Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Sometimes the extension does not tell the tale. It may have mobi but is really azw3. It can be hard to tell. As far as the creator is concerned, there are a couple of major contributors that have died so they can't fix any issues.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sometimes the extension does not tell the tale. It may have mobi but is really azw3. It can be hard to tell. As far as the creator is concerned, there are a couple of major contributors that have died so they can't fix any issues.

Dale
There's a big functional difference between mobi and azw3, particularly the ability to use custom fonts. So it seems important to use the correct extension.

I'm aware that some main contributors have died. Perhaps another experienced contributor to the library could post an azw3 conversion of their works?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
1. it won't be indexed properly in the library, so people won't find it.
2. It may get out of date if the original is updated.
If it doesn't get made, it also will not be found. I suggest that it is books that are searched and not particular flavors of amazon formats.

As time passes, I would think that it becomes less likely that the original poster will update and more likely that any such update will include azw3.

Quote:

Dale
So a volunteer that investigates the nature of the mobi, and if appropriate, provides an azw3 has done more than what can be done by anyone in a couple of minutes.

For new (and updated) kindle uploads, maybe the best is a dual format with source stripped. Then people get "send to kindle" syncing and custom fonts, boldness adjust etc, and those that have file size concerns can extract whichever format they prefer.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'd begin by:

a) Learning Python. There are lots of free tutorials.
b) Reading Calibre's developer documentation.
c) Looking at other Calibre plugins to see how they work.
There is a Kindlegen plugin for sigil

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=248629

(I haven't tried it as Kindlegen CLI is fine by me.)
Old 05-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
If it doesn't get made, it also will not be found. I suggest that it is books that are searched and not particular flavors of amazon formats.

As time passes, I would think that it becomes less likely that the original poster will update and more likely that any such update will include azw3.

So a volunteer that investigates the nature of the mobi, and if appropriate, provides an azw3 has done more than what can be done by anyone in a couple of minutes.

For new (and updated) kindle uploads, maybe the best is a dual format with source stripped. Then people get "send to kindle" syncing and custom fonts, boldness adjust etc, and those that have file size concerns can extract whichever format they prefer.
Actually anyone can just download the ePub if the equivalent exists and run it through KindleGen which will produce an azw3 and a mobi inside the same file. It will have a mobi extension. I suspect this is what most people that submit files do today.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Actually anyone can just download the ePub if the equivalent exists and run it through KindleGen which will produce an azw3 and a mobi inside the same file. It will have a mobi extension. I suspect this is what most people that submit files do today.

Dale
In my experience, most of the mobi files are just old mobi, with none of the ability to, for example, use custom fonts. So I avoid them like the plague.

Maybe the creator could state what type of mobi it is?
Old 05-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
In my experience, most of the mobi files are just old mobi, with none of the ability to, for example, use custom fonts. So I avoid them like the plague.

Maybe the creator could state what type of mobi it is?
Same issue as DaleDe mentioned before. Creator may not be around anymore to update the post.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote