Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #271
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
So, is it possible to completely blank a Nook and reload the operating system?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #272
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Without looking back through the thread, I'm guessing you've already tried a factory reset?

The folks over at the Nook xda forums probably have something more drastic (not for the faint of heart), but I haven't looked at what they've been up to over there since messing around with my Nook Simple Touch ages ago.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #273
hank
Dinosaur

> using a Mac or Windows or some other OS.

This problem with the reader or book list has never occurred while connected to the Mac, only connection has been wifi to a router (which occasinally has dropped).

I did try a factory reset when this first began to happen, but it's happened a handful of times since that reset. First the Nook gets terribly, terribly slow; the little 'swipe here' arrow takes a minute or two to cross the page. If I power cycle it, it stays very slow. The Reader tells me it can't work, and/or I get a corrupt files erase them all warning. Maybe the wifi drops, just a couple of times. Then I find most of the books have disappeared from the Nook, though they are still visible when it's USB-cabled and shows up on the Mac desktop.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #274
hank
Dinosaur

So it goes

Problem persists. Looking at the Nook when mounted on the Mac desktop as a drive, all the missing books are there, in folders by author, but the Nook doesn't show them as available.

I've also found a few dozen books that I can't sideload no matter what (from Calibre). Calibre claims they're successfully transferred, the Mac can see them on the desktop, but the Nook can't see them.

At this point, I just do a factory reset every so often and reload one or two books.

Alas, I'd imagined I could keep several dozen books on the Nook for traveling, but that's not going to work.

I'll look into https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-touch, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #275
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
My husband and I have never had any issue sideloading books to our Nooks. If I knew our trick, I'd share it. But maybe we've just been lucky.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #276
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
Problem persists. Looking at the Nook when mounted on the Mac desktop as a drive, all the missing books are there, in folders by author, but the Nook doesn't show them as available.

I've also found a few dozen books that I can't sideload no matter what (from Calibre). Calibre claims they're successfully transferred, the Mac can see them on the desktop, but the Nook can't see them.

At this point, I just do a factory reset every so often and reload one or two books.

Alas, I'd imagined I could keep several dozen books on the Nook for traveling, but that's not going to work.

I'll look into https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-touch, thanks for the suggestion.
I apologize if I missed this. But when you are in My Books, do you have it showing All Types, Books, My Files? Sideloaded books appear under My Files or All Types, but not under Books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:29 AM   #277
hank
Dinosaur

Yes, showing "all types" and not seeing some of the sideloaded files anywhere (though they are always visible on the Mac finder desktop in the Books folder under the Nook). I'm mystified.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #278
hank
Dinosaur

By the way, most of my sideloaded books do appear under the Books search category, though there is no obvious pattern. A few show up only as Other.

Another oddity --- there are several authors who, after I do a reset to erase everything and then try to sideload them again from Calibre, their folders don't appear at all in the Nook index, but they are visible in the Mac finder.