Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-31-2024, 09:25 PM   #1
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
epub to Kobo Libra 2 without Calibre?

I have a new Kobo Libra 2 and a bunch of previously purchased epub books. Can I just sideload the epubs using drag and drop? And if so, what folder do I put them in?

My Kobo is showing these folders:
.adobe-digital-editions
.kobo
.kobo-images
Digital Editions

I don't see any epub books in any of these folders when I look through Windows File Explorer, even though there are books (purchased from Kobo) on the device.

I have Calibre 3.0 and it can't recognize the device when I connect it to my computer. I have Kobo Reader Device Interface (2.3.3) and KoboTouch (2.3.3) plugins installed but they don't seem to make a difference. I will update my Calibre version eventually--I know I'm way behind--but I really don't want to do that right now because I'm worried that it will disrupt another file type plugin, etc. and I don't have time for anything major.

Is there a way to just move the books on the device using Windows File Manager? Or anything else simple?

I don't need to do anything fancy to the metadata or the font or whatever--I just want to read them.

Apologies if I have overlooked an obvious resource. I've been hunting through various user guides and wikis and not found the info I seek.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:22 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Create a folder in the root of your Kobo, call it something short (ebooks for example), then drag and drop your epubs into that folder, safely eject and let them be imported.

Ebooks synced from Kobo do not have an extension and the file name looks like a GUID (.i.e. 226d66e3-50ea-42ac-83b9-39a5c4808523 )

I would recommend updating calibre, you won't loose any file types and will gain capability and lose bugs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 03:00 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Actually, you can use Calibre 3.x, just not the Save to Device for the reason you state.

Save to Folder or Save to disk (you will need to select EPUB)

BTW Why 3.0 ?
If you are Win7 or Vista: 3.48 is the last that runs on those
Right under the SUPPORT button there is a ling to past versions
"Previous releases of calibre are available here."
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What about the updated Kobo driver? I'd pot the link, but I don't know where it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 10:26 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What about the updated Kobo driver? I'd pot the link, but I don't know where it is.
The link to the post containing the Kobo driver that works with calibre 3.48: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...39#post4190839
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #6
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Thanks everyone! It's working now. I dragged and dropped to .adobe-digital-editions and when I ejected my kobo from my drive, this time it said "importing content" and then the books appeared. I feel certain I tried this yesterday and the books did not show up, but whatever, it worked this morning! I really appreciate all the suggestions.

ETA: I upgraded to Calibre 3.48 and installed the Kobo driver for 3.48, and my device is now recognized! Thank you to DNSB and theducks for pointing me to these versions.

(As to why I haven't updated Calibre, I recall it being an ordeal to keep my k4pc at 1.17 and to find/install a 3rd party Calibre plugin, and to figure out what my AdobeID is, etc. I am leery of having to go through all that again whenever I update Calibre. It has been long enough that I forget how I did it before, and it's working well enough. One of these days I'll need a new computer and I won't have any choice. The OS already refuses to update to Win11.)

Last edited by iBeth; 02-01-2024 at 10:43 AM.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
(As to why I haven't updated Calibre, I recall it being an ordeal to keep my k4pc at 1.17 and to find/install a 3rd party Calibre plugin, and to figure out what my AdobeID is, etc. I am leery of having to go through all that again whenever I update Calibre. It has been long enough that I forget how I did it before, and it's working well enough. One of these days I'll need a new computer and I won't have any choice. The OS already refuses to update to Win11.)
If you have W10 64bit, Calibre 7 will run just fine. (Nothing I own will do W11)

Those tools have been updated, if you need those during the upgrade
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote