Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast
A-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura HD
Regrets about the Touch HD 3

Dear all,

I'm sorry that this may be a bit of a rant, but a long time ago I've bought the Touch HD 3, when version 6 was just out. It did not remember the pages, crashed a lot, and froze when reading pdf's. After contacting their support, which wasn't great at all, multiple times they said they solved it. The reader still crashes, freezes, and sometimes doesn't remember the page number. The cloud went offline, the reader set itself to Russian (I'm Dutch), and I seem to have received one of the batches that had a QC issue: the buttons are incredibly wobbly. On paper, this is the perfect reader, but there are just so many issues with a device that is so pricey! I looked at some more expensive Kobo readers, but they had a lot of issues as well, so I just don't really know where to turn for something that is a more powerful ereader without all the issues.... The only reader without any real issues might be the clara HD, I had an aura hd before this, but it has no buttons and in general seems like a step back.

Last edited by A-Curiosity; 04-09-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: I forgot a detail
A-Curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Such a shame. I’m in the US, and have Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra, and Kobo Forma. (And other old models of Kindles...I have an addiction, lol). I appreciate the ones with buttons, but I do continue to daily use the Clara HD (no buttons) mainly because I like the Kobo.

If portability, 6”, and no larger is important, the one I carry outside the house is the HD3. Since you are disappointed, if buttons are important, and you are ok with slightly larger, go for the Kobo Libra. Of course, do research. There may be elements of a pocketbook which are unique to it which may be more difficult to replicate on Kobo (again, I’m U.S., not Europe, the pocketbook platform seems to have many features, whether or not you want them is your own preference).

If your only wishes are buttons, you side load and are not tied to a vendor for your books, and larger than 6” is ok, even though it is possibly more costly than you want to spend, I would recommend the Libra, especially since you are disappointed with Touch HD3.

However, if you had not stated that you were disappointed in Pocketbook, since you are in Europe, I would have recommended a Pocketbook (perhaps not Touch HD3, there are other models). I really like my Touch HD3.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'll second the Kobo Libra, unless you want to try another Pocketbook. I have no issues with mine and have not heard of many people having problems with theirs.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your Touch HD 3! The one I own has been rock solid so far.
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast
A-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitA-Curiosity with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your Touch HD 3! The one I own has been rock solid so far.
Strange that mine has been so troublesome then... Are you on firmware version 6? I do tend to read a lot of pdfs, those are generally more troublesome
Advert
Old 04-10-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
Such a shame. I’m in the US, and have Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra, and Kobo Forma. (And other old models of Kindles...I have an addiction, lol). I appreciate the ones with buttons, but I do continue to daily use the Clara HD (no buttons) mainly because I like the Kobo.

If portability, 6”, and no larger is important, the one I carry outside the house is the HD3. Since you are disappointed, if buttons are important, and you are ok with slightly larger, go for the Kobo Libra. Of course, do research. There may be elements of a pocketbook which are unique to it which may be more difficult to replicate on Kobo (again, I’m U.S., not Europe, the pocketbook platform seems to have many features, whether or not you want them is your own preference).

If your only wishes are buttons, you side load and are not tied to a vendor for your books, and larger than 6” is ok, even though it is possibly more costly than you want to spend, I would recommend the Libra, especially since you are disappointed with Touch HD3.

However, if you had not stated that you were disappointed in Pocketbook, since you are in Europe, I would have recommended a Pocketbook (perhaps not Touch HD3, there are other models). I really like my Touch HD3.
Thanks a lot for your recommendation! I will look into it. Larger than 6" is more than fine, I tend to read many pdfs so that comes in handy. Are you on version 6 of version 5? I'm currently on 6 so maybe a downgrade would be better in the meantime.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Quote:
Are you on version 6 of version 5?
my touch hd 3 (model PB632) is currently software version U632.6.1.900. According to the built in software update, that is the latest version.

However, I don’t have a single pdf on here, other than the user manual itself. So perhaps if I read PDFs, I too would experience issues. Everything I have is ePub. I also usually use KoReader on it, not the native reader. That might also make my experience with it better.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1 View Post
Same here. The battery lasts forever, almost like it charges itself.

Quote:
my touch hd 3 (model PB632) is currently software version U632.6.1.900. According to the built in software update, that is the latest version.

However, I don’t have a single pdf on here, other than the user manual itself. So perhaps if I read PDFs, I too would experience issues. Everything I have is ePub. I also usually use KoReader on it, not the native reader. That might also make my experience with it better.
Same version of firmware here — and I've never have read a PDF on my PocketBook either. So maybe the PDF feature is the issue? Or maybe the OP's PocketBook was defective from the start? Don't these have a two year warranty?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:32 AM   #9
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks a lot, yes, that may very well be the case
Old 04-11-2021, 03:34 AM   #10
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Same here. The battery lasts forever, almost like it charges itself.

Same version of firmware here — and I've never have read a PDF on my PocketBook either. So maybe the PDF feature is the issue? Or maybe the OP's PocketBook was defective from the start? Don't these have a two year warranty?
I think so yes, the pdf feature might be the issue. They do have a two year warranty, so perhaps I could have those buttons repaired
Old 04-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #11
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I would claim such a faulty device under guarantee. Those issues are not normal. I sometimes read PDFs on mine and it handles them okay. If they don't have DRM, you should also try KOReader on your Pocketbook. It's much faster than the built-in reading software.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:00 AM   #12
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
I would claim such a faulty device under guarantee. Those issues are not normal. I sometimes read PDFs on mine and it handles them okay. If they don't have DRM, you should also try KOReader on your Pocketbook. It's much faster than the built-in reading software.
I’d think that would be a good solution, but I’m afraid it would not solve the faulty software, but if you say that pdf’s work fine on yours, and Pocketbook cannot replicate the issue, it might be the better option.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:50 PM   #13
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The Pocketbook software does have some bugs, but they usually don't cause crashes, freezes or resets. All this together points to a fault which might be caused by the hardware. Plus the wobbly buttons makes it a case for a replacement under guarantee.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Curiosity View Post
Strange that mine has been so troublesome then... Are you on firmware version 6? I do tend to read a lot of pdfs, those are generally more troublesome
Yes, I'm on the latest firmware version 6.1.900 ... PDF's are only OK on my HD 3, but I haven't seen any other ereader that are better at handling PDF's
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:13 AM   #15
A-Curiosity
Enthusiast

I will go back to the store this week, and claim guarantee. I really hope that will solve my issues! Oh and might loading with Calibre/DeDRM have anything to do with it from the computer/send to pocketbook? It happened with and without but more frequent with, althought that's just a guess