Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Hi, folks! Overall I'm enjoying the enhancements for 1.5.1, but I'm having an issue with the "Delete Unused Stylesheet Selectors" not working as expected. I've got an ePub with multiple stylesheets (a global, and several file-specific), and have removed all instances of most of the styles contained therein, but the delete function does nothing, despite all unused selectors being checked.

I've confirmed the styles aren't in use by a search, through the reports screen, and by deleting all xhtml files except a blank one, and clicking the "Delete Marked Styles" button seems to fail silently (the dialog dismissed but nothing else).

Anyone else seeing this issue? Aside from that, when it worked, it was awesome. I like that it could also remove header-based style definitions.
I just tested this on a couple of epubs I was cleaning up. Using the Delete Unused Stylesheet Selectors tool selected the same unused selectors as shown in the CSS Selectors Reports and the cssRemoveUnusedSelectors plugin. After clicking on Delete Marked Styles, eyeballing the 3 stylesheets showed styles have been removed. Running cssRemoveUnusedSelectors again show on unused selectors.

Both the epubs had relatively simple stylesheets with no overly complex selectors. I really could see no reason for having 3 stylesheets.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #17
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... I'm sure he'll get around to it.
You must be right. These times, I'm paranoid...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2021, 10:37 PM   #18
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I really could see no reason for having 3 stylesheets.
Neither can I. I always simplify retail ebooks I buy, and it's got about ten stylesheets.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please provide a working test case that shows this. The only known bug (already fixed in master) is that the removal will fail if after removing ALL unused selectors, it would leave a completely empty stylesheet.

BeckyEbook already reported that bug and it has already been fixed. To workaround it, simply add a css comment someplace at the top of the css stylesheet so that it would not end up completely empty.

If you are seeing a different bug, I could really use a testcase that shows the bug.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Hi, folks! Overall I'm enjoying the enhancements for 1.5.1, but I'm having an issue with the "Delete Unused Stylesheet Selectors" not working as expected. I've got an ePub with multiple stylesheets (a global, and several file-specific), and have removed all instances of most of the styles contained therein, but the delete function does nothing, despite all unused selectors being checked.

I've confirmed the styles aren't in use by a search, through the reports screen, and by deleting all xhtml files except a blank one, and clicking the "Delete Marked Styles" button seems to fail silently (the dialog dismissed but nothing else).

Because I had updates from 1.4.3, I tried uninstallling and reinstalling fresh, and restarting, and it worked briefly, but the issue seems to be back again.

Anyone else seeing this issue? Aside from that, when it worked, it was awesome. I like that it could also remove header-based style definitions.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-06-2021 at 09:15 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:15 PM   #20
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please provide a working test case that shows this.
Here you go - thanks for looking into this for me. I've again uninstalled and reinstalled Sigil, making sure to remove appData and program files folders and the issue persists for me.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Unknown - No One.epub (6.5 KB, 145 views)
Advert
Old 04-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil only searches the stylesheets for selectors that are actually linked to an xhtml file.

None of your stylesheets are linked to anything and therefore none of the selectors are tested (they can only be tested to be present in an xhtml file that links to them).

If you want to see which stylesheets are used or not, simply use the Reports CSS files, which will tell you none of your css files are actually used (linked into any xhtml file).

If I link them all in, running Remove Unused Selectors would remove all of the selectors inside each stylesheets leaving them all completely empty (except for your first one as @page is not a selector). This is exactly the bug I just explained that was already found and fixed in master.

So link all your stylesheets into the one xhtml file. Edit each stylesheet and add
/*css*/
to the top of each css file so that they are not left blank (to workaround the bug that has already been fixed in master) and give it a try. You will see all true selectors are now removed (leaving just the comment) and the first one still has @page since it is not a selector.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Last edited by KevinH; 04-05-2021 at 11:46 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:41 AM   #22
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Okay, I understand now. Adding the comment works as you describe. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

Sorry if this does not belong to this thread. Usually, Eli Schwartz publishes quite quickly a binary version of Sigil for Archlinux users. He informed this forum over a week ago that he would wait to provide a binary release of 1.5.1. (and Calibre btw) but, as of today, still failed to do so. A PageEdit version had been published earlier.

Has somebody more info about this?
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermai...ch/030402.html

I'm back now, catching back up on updates. The new sigil release is currently in the process of building.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:50 AM   #24
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thank you for your so helpful work.

"Un seul être vous manque et tout est dépeuplé"
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:29 AM   #25
Skydancer
Enthusiast
Skydancer began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBoot Inkpad 3
While waiting for Arch/Manjaro Linux to release Sigil 1.5.1 to their repositories I compiled it form source myself. Everything seems to work OK, but later I noticed that there is some other stuff on the GitHub: sigil-query, cssparser, dulwich, sigil-gumbo etc. Is any significant functionality missing from Sigil without those modules?
Skydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you built Sigil and it works, then you built sogil-gumbo. It's integral and Sigil will not build or function at all without it. The only two pieces you would even have a say in whether or not you could build/use Sigil without them is css-parser and dulwich. Both provide functionality that would be missing from Sigil without them. The Arch package (which has already been updated to 1.5.1) includes all of the things you mentioned as required dependencies.

To be perfectly clear: only two of the items you mentioned are actually external modules (css-parser and dulwich are both python modules that Sigil requires for functionality). Everything else is integral C/C++ source code included with Sigil.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-15-2021 at 10:32 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #27
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
>No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away... -- Reaper Man -- Terry Pratchett

Something of a theft from Sartre's "No Exit".
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ummm...
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote