Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #46
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is the what the option looks like:
Thanks. Helpful to know what to look for.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #47
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've only got Home Screen View on my PW3. To get the new options activated, will I have to keep WiFi on?
I left my Wifi on to test since I updated on the Oasis 3, not seeing any changes still with the homepage. Still the same grouping of recommendations.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #48
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
Quote:
You don't actually need this and as you don't have it, it's not getting updated.Now you may want it, but please don't be so hostile.
Saying the word "damn" is not hostile.
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
Saying the word "damn" is not hostile.
Tome it read as hostile. How you use the word damn determines the tone and your tone in that post reads as hostile. It reads like you are angry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #50
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tome it read as hostile. How you use the word damn determines the tone and your tone in that post reads as hostile. It reads like you are angry.
Yeah, I am "toxic", "angry" and "hostile" over the absence of a cosmetic feature. Come on.

And you would rather have me not having the feature because my tone read to you as hostile. That's pretty mean.

With those kinds of comments, who is really being toxic?
Advert
Old 12-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #51
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I've only got Home Screen View on my PW3. To get the new options activated, will I have to keep WiFi on?
No idea. The option was there on my Paperwhite immediately after restart following the update, or at least shortly thereafter.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melksnor View Post
Yeah, I am "toxic", "angry" and "hostile" over the absence of a cosmetic feature. Come on.

And you would rather have me not having the feature because my tone read to you as hostile. That's pretty mean.

With those kinds of comments, who is really being toxic?
If you had not added in the word damn, we would not be having this discussion. Oh and if having the cover as a sleep image is that important to you, why did you buy a Kindle instead of a Kobo?
Old 12-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #53
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader

Quote:
If you had not added in the word damn, we would not be having this discussion. Oh and if having the cover as a sleep image is that important to you, why did you buy a Kindle instead of a Kobo?
I'll make sure to check in with you in the future on which words you deem toxic.

I won my PW4 at an amazon event. I bought my kindle 5th gen a long time ago and was able to get it going on there.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #54
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
No idea. The option was there on my Paperwhite immediately after restart following the update, or at least shortly thereafter.
Would it be possible that the availability of the series option is connected to either location/which amazon shop (.com/.co.uk/.de/...) we're connected to or wether it's goodreads connected/connectable?

just a thought.
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #55
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
My PW4 the setting actually does something...
I updated and have the Group by Series feature turned on, but it doesn't appear to work on side-loaded books.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I updated and have the Group by Series feature turned on, but it doesn't appear to work on side-loaded books.
My guess is that the side loaded books would (at least) need to have the Amazon ASIN.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #57
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
That does seem to be the Amazon way, pulling metadata from Amazon's end rather than respecting metadata on the files themselves, it's almost like they have an incentive to make sideloaded content a second-class citizen.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #58
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have been checking the library view on my Kindle each day since installing 5.13.4 and none of the books were grouped by series even though the "Group Series in Library" option is "On" in settings.

Today there was a popup dialog box announcing the series feature (see screenshot). When I checked my library I found that books are now grouped by series. It appears that the cover of the earliest book in the series that you own is shown as the series cover thumbnail. Opening a series shows the covers of the individual books and sorting options are available by date or item in series (see screenshot).

As a test I tried sideloading a couple of books that I created in calibre with metadata indicating that they were part of a series that I already partially own to see what would happen. After syncing, the Kindle it downloaded the correct cover thumbnails for those books along with other data, such as XRAY. But the library view shows those books as not being in the series with the books that I own. So it seems that series information is only available for books that Amazon knows you possess.

Also, as far as I can tell there is nothing in the Kindle's storage related to series that is accessible via USB. So it seems likely that it will not be possible to manipulate series information or add it for sideloaded books on a non-jailbroken device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_12_15T08_34_59-0500.png
Views:	335
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	184037   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_12_15T09_34_46-0500.png
Views:	327
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	184038  

Last edited by jhowell; 12-15-2020 at 10:26 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #59
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
As a test I tried sideloading a couple of books that I created in calibre with metadata indicating that they were part of a series that I already partially own to see what would happen. After syncing, the Kindle it downloaded the correct cover thumbnails for those books along with other data, such as XRAY. But the library view shows those books as not being in the series with the books that I own. So it seems that series information is only available for books that Amazon knows you possess.
Just to confirm, did these sideloaded books have the correct ASIN matching Amazon's? I expect that's why it downloaded covers and XRAY but just wanted to be super clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Also, as far as I can tell there is nothing in the Kindle's storage related to series that is accessible via USB. So it seems likely that it will not be possible to manipulate series information or add it for sideloaded books on a non-jailbroken device.
I expect series information is stored in the same database as collections information.

Anyway, thank you for all the information!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm of the mind that it may not be possible to have Calibre be programed for the new series feature on Kindles.