Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, they're just made up American words anyway.
What happened was that the Pilgrims came to America and brought with them UK English. They then took that UK English and made what is now the better US English.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing that can drop me out of an audiobook is some UK words. For example, Aluminum is a word that doesn't work for me when it's the UK pronunciation. Aluminum is even spelled differently in the UK (aluminium).

But words like color that are spelled differently in UK English at least sound the same no no problem there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #138
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happened was that the Pilgrims came to America and brought with them UK English. They then took that UK English and made what is now the better US English.

Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #139
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
One thing that can drop me out of an audiobook is some UK words. For example, Aluminum is a word that doesn't work for me when it's the UK pronunciation. Aluminum is even spelled differently in the UK (aluminium).

But words like color that are spelled differently in UK English at least sound the same no no problem there.
Aluminum is a bad example I think. The "ium" ending for elements is pretty standard (uranium, polonium, rubidium etc.), it's odd that US English changes it just for aluminum.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #140
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Bowdoin College as "buh-doyne" recently
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 04:48 AM   #141
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
A recent cringe-worthy audible ---- Blodgett with a "hard" G.

I can *almost* tolerate accent on the wrong syllable, but things like this draw out the insane shrieks. Especially when the offending word is repeated again and again and again...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:52 PM   #142
Snodgrass
Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snodgrass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, nook
Just a warning for people with sensitive ears: don't go anywhere near Youtube!

It's not just the amateur idiots in back-to-front hats who scream at you who mispronounce things. Quite a few 'professional' presenters are also guilty. Too many channels? Talent spread thinly?

Corona please go away... Until then, happy isolating.
Snodgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #143
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Gareth Armstrong: pest-ul, for “pestle.”

Even worse, after the first few times he obviously was corrected, but not only did they not go back and fix it, he was inconsistent thereafter. One wonders how he pronounces nestle, wrestle and trestle.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #144
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
THAT would be very disruptive. I would rather a consistent mispronunciation than an inconsistent one. Though honestly, where was the director on this whole thing??
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #145
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
THAT would be very disruptive. I would rather a consistent mispronunciation than an inconsistent one. Though honestly, where was the director on this whole thing??
My perennial question. Mispronunciations should scream for attention and if the director doesn’t know how ordinary words are pronounced and isn’t willing to vet words they don’t know, then they shouldn’t be producing audiobooks. Talk about the Peter Principle.

I remember once reading an article about why audiobooks were better than print books* and one of the reasons was that you found out how to pronounce difficult words. Hah bloody hah, was my reaction to that!

*Audiobooks are different from print books. I don’t know why people in either camp think it’s a contest.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #146
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Gareth Armstrong: pest-ul, for “pestle.”

Even worse, after the first few times he obviously was corrected, but not only did they not go back and fix it, he was inconsistent thereafter. One wonders how he pronounces nestle, wrestle and trestle.
Interesting as I find his reading of the Maigret series outstanding!
Old 08-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #147
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It was Webster that decided to change (possibly French origin) -re endings to -er and drop internal double LL to L and drop U from OUR. He was prescriptive and deliberately changing variations of US spellings to his own idea. Whereas the OED people have always argued they are simply documenting actual usage.

Each ethnic group to USA brought their own dialect and spellings. Irish, Scottish and Welsh people. Also Irish Travellers (miscalled Gypsies because they are not Romany). Then Germans (USA Dutch instead of Deutsch), Poles, Russians, Italians, Spanish speakers (often from Mexico but some before USA independence).

People also have blind spots in pronunciation because of reading far more than talking. Also their ethnic and-or geographic background may give them a valid different pronunciation. Often the BBC, English "Home Counties" and London people from posher backgrounds have worse pronunciation than elsewhere. In the UK and Ireland it's a myth that there is one official way to pronounce words, though some people of course mispronounce. My own grandfather was from a mixed working class background but read a lot in his younger years and to the end of his days pronounced "niche" as "nicky".

My father qualified in Maths and Geography but was an English teacher and I was sent to elocution class, 1:1 with a woman in her own home. I hated it and I'm sure it wasn't many months. Despite (or because?) being married for over 40 years, the wife delights in occasionally correcting my pronunciation. I never seem to get Chicago right. Some pronunciations baffle me, like "Belvoir Park" in Belfast is called "Beaver Park". Some English place names are more baffling to me than Welsh ones, and though I don't know Irish I have some idea of the pronunciation (which is unrelated to English and closer to Old Latin, not Church Latin, or even Hebrew and Arabic).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #148
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I remember once reading an article about why audiobooks were better than print books* and one of the reasons was that you found out how to pronounce difficult words. Hah bloody hah, was my reaction to that!

*Audiobooks are different from print books. I don’t know why people in either camp think it’s a contest.
And dramatic readings done like a Radio Play are totally different thing to straight Audio Books. I picked up a set as cassettes* and couldn't listen to them as there was too much music and sound effects. At most you can have a little music between chapters, but I discovered in about 1996 doing stuff for multimedia that dialogue needs to stand-alone. Too much cinema and TV now needs subtitles due to poor mixing on dialogue and too dominant effects and music. Or productions that only work played on decent 5 channel audio (the .1 doesn't need a separate channel if you have fuil range speakers instead of 3" to 4" plastic boxes, or 6" in proper boxes if lucky as it's only less than 70 Hz effects).

*Cassettes work better than CDs if you stop in the middle of a chapter or track. Even digital files need a player that "remembers" last location. Also while even HiFi Cassettes are not really HiFi, even a very basic cassette player is good enough for audio books. Books for the Blind, before cassette, used approximately 16 rpm 12" discs. They started with abridged 12" 78 rpm discs in the Victorian era. Even in 1930s the albums with symphonies often used five 12" discs rather than more 10" discs (the equivalent to 7" 45 rpm disc released from 1949).

Last edited by Quoth; 08-22-2021 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Cassettes
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #149
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Skuh LEE tal, or worse sklee tal, for skeletal.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #150
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Perhaps it's different in Britain, but hearing Penelope Keith just now reading an Agatha raisin book pronouncing the crafting term "macrame" as Muh-KRAH-may (rather than MAC-ruh-may) was rather jolting!