Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #991
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I already whined over in the Mystery forum about my computer's fan giving up the ghost this morning, and although I'm nicely backed up, it has taken me a while to get up and running again.

And so there are only a very few hours left in the UK for this, for those of you who are Outlander fans...

Written in My Own Heart's Blood is the eighth in the Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and it's £0.99 today as part of the UK Kindle Daily Deal.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Written-Hea...dp/B00DDPZIUG/
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Written-H...dp/B00DDPZIUG/

Spoiler:
Quote:
The latest epic volume in the multimillion-copy bestselling Outlander series.

It is June 1778, and the world seems to be turning upside-down. The British Army is withdrawing from Philadelphia, with George Washington in pursuit, and for the first time, it looks as if the rebels might actually win. But for Claire Fraser and her family, there are even more tumultuous revolutions that have to be accommodated.

Her former husband, Jamie, has returned from the dead, demanding to know why in his absence she married his best friend, Lord John Grey. Lord John's son, the ninth Earl of Ellesmere, is no less shocked to discover that his real father is actually the newly resurrected Jamie Fraser, and Jamie's nephew Ian Murray discovers that his new-found cousin has an eye for the woman who has just agreed to marry him.

And while Claire is terrified that one of her husbands may be about to murder the other, in the 20th century her descendants face even more desperate turns of events. Her daughter Brianna is trying to protect her son from a vicious criminal with murder on his mind, while her husband Roger has disappeared into the past . . .
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #992
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy - $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QEAQQC

One of Clancy's best. This is a "what if" where Russia invades the west during the cold war. Larry Bond was coauthor though he never seems to get credit... not sure why.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #993
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red Storm Rising is far and away my favorite among Clancy's books, although I also really like Hunt for Red October and a few of the other early Jack Ryan books. (Clancy's later books got too political for me, and his politics and mine don't mix...) But I can re-read Rising every few years and it never gets old.

I remember reading somewhere that Bond and Clancy basically war-gamed WWIII out, and then Clancy wrote it. So I went to look at Wikipedia, and that's essentially what it says there. Bond pretty much brought the war-gaming background, and there's even a quote from him saying that he actually only wrote a tiny bit of Rising. Still, I agree that having had the co-authorship at first, it's a shame he seems to get dropped these days.

If you haven't seen it before, you might enjoy this interview with Bond shortly after Clancy's death, linked from the Wikipedia page: https://news.usni.org/2013/10/08/int...ond-tom-clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy - $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QEAQQC

One of Clancy's best. This is a "what if" where Russia invades the west during the cold war. Larry Bond was coauthor though he never seems to get credit... not sure why.

Last edited by sufue; 03-17-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #994
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Red Storm Rising is far and away my favorite among Clancy's books, although I also really like Hunt for Red October and a few of the other early Jack Ryan books. (Clancy's later books got too political for me, and his politics and mine don't mix...) But I can re-read Rising every few years and it never gets old.

I remember reading somewhere that Bond and Clancy basically war-gamed WWIII out, and then Clancy wrote it. So I went to look at Wikipedia, and that's essentially what it says there. Bond pretty much brought the war-gaming background, and there's even a quote from him saying that he actually only wrote a tiny bit of Rising. Still, I agree that having had the co-authorship at first, it's a shame he seems to get dropped these days.

If you haven't seen it before, you might enjoy this interview with Bond shortly after Clancy's death, linked from the Wikipedia page: https://news.usni.org/2013/10/08/int...ond-tom-clancy
Thanks, that was interesting. In the hardcover edition Clancy did an "Authors Note" where he explains his relationship with Bond and gives him credit as co-author though it is never really explained why he is not on the title page. Though if he only wrote 1% as stated in the article you pointed out, that pretty much explains it.

Last edited by tch65721; 03-17-2021 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #995
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Cross post from scifi/fantasy
My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me By Collected Authors $1.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
FYI - not intended for kids! Some of these are gruesome.

Quote:
The fairy tale lives again in this book of forty new stories by some of the biggest names in contemporary fiction.

Neil Gaiman, “Orange”

Aimee Bender, “The Color Master”

Joyce Carol Oates, “Blue-bearded Lover”

Michael Cunningham, “The Wild Swans”

These and more than thirty other stories by Francine Prose, Kelly Link, Jim Shepard, Lydia Millet, and many other extraordinary writers make up this thrilling celebration of fairy tales—the ultimate literary costume party.

Spinning houses and talking birds. Whispered secrets and borrowed hope. Here are new stories sewn from old skins, gathered by visionary editor Kate Bernheimer and inspired by everything from Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen” and “The Little Match Girl” to Charles Perrault’s “Bluebeard” and “Cinderella” to the Brothers Grimm’s “Hansel and Gretel” and “Rumpelstiltskin” to fairy tales by Goethe and Calvino and from China, Japan, Vietnam, Russia, Norway, and Mexico.

Fairy tales are our oldest literary tradition, and yet they chart the imaginative frontiers of the twenty-first century as powerfully as they evoke our earliest encounters with literature. This exhilarating collection restores their place in the literary canon.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #996
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Two of the Angela Thirkell Barsetshire novels, Wild Strawberries and Miss Bunting are 99¢ all over (the US, that is) right now. If you’re unfamiliar with these, they’re delightful comedies of manner. They don’t need to be read in order, but it’s helpful if you group them roughly into the categories of pre-war, war, and post-war; i.e, if you want to try one, I’d go with Wild Strawberries, a pre-war title, instead of the wartime Miss Bunting.

NB: Thirkell is PD in Canada. These are not bootleg editions, however.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #997
tch65721
Evangelist

The Good Shepherd: A Novel by C. S. Forester - $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DZJG2CX

It seems ridiculous but this is the same book currently published under the title Greyhound (Movie Tie-In) selling for $11.99.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #998
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

A Breath Of Snow And Ashes is the sixth in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It has dropped to £0.99 at Kindle UK, probably as part of April's new monthly sale. But I haven't had time to check, so if you want it, grab it now and don't assume it will be on sale for the month!

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005F3GLLY
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005F3GLLY

Spoiler:
Quote:
THE SIXTH NOVEL IN THE BESTSELLING OUTLANDER SERIES.

It's 1772, the Royal Colony of North Carolina, and the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and preserve the colony for King and Crown.

One minor problem: Jamie Fraser's wife, Claire, is a time-traveller, as are his daughter and son-in-law. And Jamie knows that three years hence, the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the end of it all will be independence - with those loyal to the King either dead or in exile.

Beyond present danger, though, looms the threat of a tiny clipping from the Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports the destruction of the house on Fraser's Ridge and the death by fire of James Fraser and all his family.

For once, Jamie Fraser hopes the time-travelers in his family are wrong about the future. But only time will tell.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:37 AM   #999
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Books 7-12 of Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom series are on sale at Amazon UK for £0.99 each.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=s9_ac...d_i=3017941031
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:39 AM   #1000
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is $2.99 at Amazon US. I read it back in 2012 and gave it five stars.

https://www.amazon.com/100-Year-Old-.../dp/B007MB5OCE
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #1001
tch65721
Evangelist

Waterloo (Sharpe Book 20) by Bernard Cornwell - $1.99
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WPFHA4
Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #1002
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson is $2.99 at Amazon US. I read it back in 2012 and gave it five stars.

https://www.amazon.com/100-Year-Old-.../dp/B007MB5OCE
I read this about 5 years ago and loved it.

More readers need to discover this book.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #1003
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Pay What You Want (including zero):

Atlas Hugged

The Autobiography of John Galt III

A Novel by David Sloan Wilson

“Call me anything but John Galt. That is my name, but it is also the name of my father and grandfather. I am not like them and the world they created is not the one I desire. The III after my name does not sufficiently set me apart.”

With these words, famed scientist and nonfiction writer David Sloan Wilson launches a devastating critique of Ayn Rand’s philosophy of Objectivism and its impact on the world. Just as Rand advanced her ideas through fiction in addition to nonfiction, including her iconic novel Atlas Shrugged, Wilson pursues his quarry into the fictional realm with the story of John Galt III, the grandson of the main protagonist of Rand’s novel, and his quest to defeat the Evil Empire constructed by his father, grandfather, and grandmother—Ayn Rant.

Last edited by curtw; 04-07-2021 at 07:06 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #1004
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I read this about 5 years ago and loved it.

More readers need to discover this book.
That does sound like fun! I just discovered my library has it - will have to give it a look!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #1005
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

An Echo in the Bone is the seventh in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It's on sale for £0.99 at Kindle UK right now.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037471U8
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037471U8

Spoiler:
Quote:
THE TRIUMPHANT SEVENTH NOVEL IN THE MULTI-MILLION BESTSELLING OUTLANDER SERIES.

The year is 1777. The place, North Carolina. And as the American rebellion grows in intensity, Highlander Jamie Fraser and his wife Claire need to decide which side their family is going to be on.

The choice should be an easy one, given that Claire was born in the twentieth century and has already seen the future - in history books. But things are never simple where the Frasers are concerned, as father and son unwittingly come face to face on the battlefield, and an old adversary reaches forward in time to threaten the next generation.

Up to now, Claire and Jamie's love has survived every danger history has put in their path, but in the chaos of war, with families bitterly divided against each other, is the future finally going to catch up with them?