Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your Covid vaccination status?
I’ve had both shots. 3 3.45%
I’ve had my first shot. 15 17.24%
My first shot is scheduled, but I haven’t got it yet. 2 2.30%
I’m qualified in my state or region and want it, but haven’t been able to schedule it. 10 11.49%
I’m not qualified yet in my state or region. 45 51.72%
Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I won’t get one. 0 0%
I’m opposed to the vaccine on principle and won’t get one. 2 2.30%
I’m waiting to see how it goes. 6 6.90%
There’s no vaccine available in my region. 3 3.45%
Prefer not to answer. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Covid Vaccination Poll

I wondered where MRers stood in regard to vaccinations. So this is my attempt to take its temperature, so to speak. If I’ve missed out an option, let me know and I’ll add it. Comments of course welcome; let’s just avoid the overtly political.

Last edited by issybird; 02-12-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'm having to wait until my age group is eligible for the vaccine. The 80+ group is the next one up for the vaccination so a while to go.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I’m definitely qualified for, and want to get the vaccination. But my state is still living in the “caveman” era and shanking the whole process. In my county, you have to register with the county, wait several weeks until they notify you by text or email, if they ever notify you, and be sure to make the appointment time and location. You are generally given about a 1 or 2 day notice of where and when your appointment will be. If you have mobility issues you are mostly SOL. They don’t care whether, nor do they ask if, you will be able to stand in a long line for hours. I can’t stand more than a few minutes nor can I walk very far. They say in the application to come inside to the head of the line when you show up if you have these kind of issues, then they will attempt to accommodate you. Nothing like cutting in front of a few hundred (or more) angry people, many of whom or legally armed, to get inside. I currently have no idea if I’ll ever get vaccinated, or when, or whether I will be physically unable to get from the parking lot into the facility because I don’t know which facility they will send me to.

The entire registration process is convoluted, and mostly nonsensical. Fortunately I’m retired from the computer software industry and well versed in modern technology, but my babyboomer generation will mostly just be confused and frustrated by the process.

My primary care physician was approved to get the vaccines and administer them, but he told me he has no clue if they will ever arrive. My best case scenario is that he gets enough vaccines in and calls me to come get one.

I don’t understand why they are using mega-sites in only a few locations. It seems to me that it would be way more efficient to open small sites in nearly every neighborhood. That is take the vaccines to us. Do several neighborhoods then move to other ones and verify our address is in that neighborhood. We currently have people coming into our county from multiple nearby counties trying to get vaccinated. I feel for them, but since they were not invited and don’t have appointments they are slowing down the process. There are many desperate people applying for appointments in multiple counties too, and that shouldn’t be allowed as it clogs up the system and isn’t fair to the rest of us.

Needless to say it is a mess. Hopefully they will start shipping more vaccines across the country soon. I think things will also improve once CVS, Walgreens, and other local pharmacies start administering the vaccines. So far that hasn't happened in my location yet.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm having to wait until my age group is eligible for the vaccine. The 80+ group is the next one up for the vaccination so a while to go.
Wow, that seems old. I thought neighboring Massachusetts was bad; they’re still doing the 75+ crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m definitely qualified for, and want to get the vaccination. But my state is still living in the “caveman” era and shanking the whole process. In my county, you have to register with the county, wait several weeks until they notify you by text or email, if they ever notify you, and be sure to make the appointment time and location. You are generally given about a 1 or 2 day notice of where and when your appointment will be. If you have mobility issues you are mostly SOL. They don’t care whether, nor do they ask if, you will be able to stand in a long line for hours. I can’t stand more than a few minutes nor can I walk very far. They say in the application to come inside to the head of the line when you show up if you have these kind of issues, then they will attempt to accommodate you. Nothing like cutting in front of a few hundred (or more) angry people, many of whom or legally armed, to get inside. I currently have no idea if I’ll ever get vaccinated, or when, or whether I will be physically unable to get from the parking lot into the facility because I don’t know which facility they will send me to.
I know the distribution center nearest me is a drive-through, which presupposes being able to drive or having a relative or friend who’s willing to ferry you. I wonder if Uber’s doing a vaccination business? But for those with mobility issues the drive-through seems a lot more convenient and that’s in addition to the benefit of not being inside a facility with a lot of frustrated people.

It seems every state has its horror stories. I think I saw that it rolled out smoothly in West Virginia?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
You need a "waiting to see how it goes" option. I'm not opposed to vaccines at all. But this rollout is a mess. People lined up in cars for lord knows who giving the shots?

My 90 year old mother is expected to go to a local pharmacy to get her first shot. You sign up, then they call you, and you have 15 minutes to get there. If I want to take her, the time frame doesn't work...it takes me 10-12 minutes just to get to her home, another minute or two to get her in the car, and 3-5 to get to the pharmacy. Sure, she could drive herself, but I don't think it's a good idea in this circumstance.

Who (medical professional) is going to be keeping an eye on her for the 15-20 minutes afterwards that they are supposed be getting? Pharmacy techs in Ohio don't even need to be licensed. (not slamming anyone, just questioning the wisdom of this)

Technically, I'm not qualified just yet, just turning 62 in 10 days. I'm in no hurry for the vaccine, and haven't decided if I'll get it or not. Hubby is 64, and of the same mind.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You need a "waiting to see how it goes" option.
Added; thank you.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Three months ago, my thought process was "I'm nobody's guinea pig, I'm going to wait quite a while before getting it." Then I had friends die from, and be severely affect by, covid infections. Thus my attitude totally changed, and I became someone who was ready to get the vaccine at the earliest possible time.

But I am only 64, so not qualified in my state.

However, my local health insurance/medical provider maintains a "last minute list" of volunteers who will rush up to the hospital with minutes notice to get vaccinated when stupid inconsiderate no-shows to their appointments would otherwise mean they'd have to throw the vaccine out.

From that list, I was called - drove up there like a madman, and got my first shot two weeks ago. Once you get the first shot you are automatically scheduled for an appointment to get the second. Nobody was there (except for the nurses giving the injections) when I showed up. Just me, all by myself. Got my shot, we visited for the required 15 minute waiting period, then back home I went.

I know many people personally who have gotten the vaccine - both Pfizer and Moderna. Not a single one of them has had any symptom or side effect from either the first or second shot. Including myself.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where I live there is no vaccine available to anyone. The poll doesn't cater for that.

The one that has been approved is dependant on the largesse of a foreign body. The one they're cooking up in lockdown Melbourne has yet to be approved.

I have to get a pacemaker service in October, so I'll probably try to get one then. By which time they might have gotten their brain into gear and bought some of the Johnson & Johnson one-shot jabs - fat chance of that

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-12-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Where I live there is no vaccine available to anyone. The poll doesn't cater for that.
Added.

It’s an interesting question; Australia is doing so much better than the rest of the world, but will that mean future isolation once the rest of the world is vaccinated?
Old 02-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Qualified - vaccine not available - on waiting list
Old 02-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Added.

It’s an interesting question; Australia is doing so much better than the rest of the world, but will that mean future isolation once the rest of the world is vaccinated?
If the foreign body makes good on its promises we should start jabbing Pfizer shots into the border and quarantine workforces within the next four weeks.

Then if the Melbourne brew gets approved, and if all goes to plan, we'll be 70-80% vaccinated by October. But that's a lot of 'ifs'.

I'm not sure what happens next, Hotel California or Mad Max Exodus. I now have Taiwan at the top of my bucket list, returning via Vietnam.

BR
Old 02-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Not qualified yet (They are doing 1a. I am likely in 1b). The clinics are following the state's requirements slightly differently - my clinic is currently limited to 75+ (Mom and Aunt still waiting for call to make appointment). My brother is part of 2 clinics and the other clinic includes those 65+ with co-morbidities. He gets his first shot Sunday. We have a new battery, so fairly confident that the car will start. Well below 0F here.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-12-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:22 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Technically, I'm not qualified just yet, just turning 62 in 10 days. I'm in no hurry for the vaccine, and haven't decided if I'll get it or not. Hubby is 64, and of the same mind.
Just on age, even if you're otherwise well, if you catch the virus you have a 1 in 200 chance of dying of it.

I'll be getting vaccinated as soon as I'm offered it, and I'm only 56.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:30 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Wow, that seems old. I thought neighboring Massachusetts was bad; they’re still doing the 75+ crowd.
The issue for Canadians was that Pfizer and Moderna basically stopped delivering vaccine for several weeks. Evidently Pfizer-Biontech had to stop production in their Belgian factory while work was done to increase capacity while Moderna from several news reports ran into issues with material supply and the EU attempting to control how much can be exported before EU member states are supplied with vaccine.

Add in that in Canada, vaccinating the residents in long term care where the majority of the deaths was occurring was a priority.

Another issue which may be hitting soon is that the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine use has been halted in South Africa since it appeared to offer "minimal protection" against mild and moderate cases of the South African variant of the Covid-19 virus.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-13-2021 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:32 AM   #15
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I got my first dose of Moderna on Friday, 2/12/21 (New York, NY). I'm 69 and my age group has qualified for a month, but it was very hard to get an appointment. Walgreens started offering it this week. I went on their site many times before appointments and store addresses popped up a bit after 9pm Tuesday.

I was happy to be able to get it in my zip code. Some people have been going to other boroughs of New York City or way uptown or lower east side. I'm in Hell's Kitchen and walked about 10 blocks for the first one. The next one will be at another store just 4 blocks away.

The megasites here are Javits Center in Manhattan, Yankee Stadium (for Bronx residents only for now) and Citifield (Mets) (for Queens residents only). Javits Center is run by the state of New York.
Closed Thread