Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Thinking about a Nook

Hi everyone,

I am starting to think I want a Nook. I have a couple questions though. Many for people who have gone from Sony to Nook. I have a Sony 505, which has all epubs and pdfs on it. I'm wondering if I'd be able to transfer all of those onto the Nook, even the books I got from the Sony store. I don't want all this money I've spent on ebooks to go to waste.

It will be awhile before I can get one, but for now I'm just researching....and dreaming!

My 505 is still in great condition, so I might be selling it soon if anyone is interested. Nothing is for sure yet though.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Yes, you can transfer Sony epubs and pdfs to the nook - you will need ADE installed and activate your nook in ADE first. You may also need to redowload previously purchased ebooks using ADE. I transferred one Sony epub to the nook when I first got it - unfortunately I later removed the protection from my purchased epub files so I can no longer repeat the testing, but I am sure someone else in the forum can attest that as well. Luckily you had a Sony, if it's a Kindle, you cannot transfer any purchases to the nook without removing the protection first.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

oh good! this is what I was hoping to hear.

Glad I don't have a Kindle too! I wouldn't want to spend my time trying to remove the protection.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm also thinking of buying a Nook. I want to know about syncing pages between my Android phone and the Nook. Does it only work with books that were purchased from B&N?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
kelly1010: Sony EPUBs work just fine on NOOK. You'll need Adobe Digital Editions to do the initial authorization of your NOOK. You could also use it to copy the e-books onto the NOOK, but you don't need to. I presume that Sony PDFs do, too, but the NOOK's current PDF handling leaves a lot to be desired and I simply don't even try to read PDFs on there.

kevinp: the NOOK does not currently sync.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I'm also thinking of buying a Nook. I want to know about syncing pages between my Android phone and the Nook. Does it only work with books that were purchased from B&N?
At the moment there is only syncing between the new Nook applications. B&N has promised syncing with the Nook. Hopefully this will be included in the next firmware update.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I switched from 505 to Nook a couple months back. All my drm'ed epubs and pdfs from Sony and elsewhere work fine through ADE. Nook is great. Love the page turning using touchscreen. Screen contrast is about the same as the 505. Be aware, it is a bit heavier and needs to be charged more often. I got 5-7 days between charges with airplane mode. Still love it though since both issues don't bother me. Anyway, good luck with your decision.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Thanks for replying.It will probably be awhile before I can get a Nook, but I'm glad to know I won't have to buy all my ebooks over again.