Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
What's the average age of Kindle owners?

What do you think is the average age of a Kindle owner?

My first guess would have been youngish adults (30 or so) that are pretty computer savy and like electronic gadgets. Well, that just describes me, so maybe I haven't thought the whole thing out, really. The article below, which is just some dude's opinion, and not based on data, suggests that maybe the average age is more like 45. He thinks more seniors are interested in the kindle than (I) might expect because it might be easier to hold than a book, and because the font size can be increased. This dude also suggests older people might have more income and be able to afford the device better than those still early in their careers.

What do you think?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10170028-1.html
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I would guess that the estimate of 45 is much more likely to be accurate than that of 30.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm guessing it is much older than 30... more around 45 maybe... Is that what that guy said? (I didn't read the link)

Here is my thinking... I think when you are under 30 you read a lot less. Because you are partying more, working longer hours to get established in your career, don't have kids that you need to stay home and take care of, etc.

Also, I think under 30 you earn less and don't have disposable income to spend $300 on a dedicated device. Sure, kids (30 and under) will buy a smart phone but that is a phone and PDA and game machine and MP3 player.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I think this is the first time I've seen 45 and senior in the same category Just from my own observations I would tend to put it somewhere in the 40's.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I think this is the first time I've seen 45 and senior in the same category Just from my own observations I would tend to put it somewhere in the 40's.
I don't think he was saying 45 was considered a senior but that more in the older crowd would drive the average age up.

BOb
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I think this is the first time I've seen 45 and senior in the same category
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were! Just that if you factor in the seniors to the average, the average age goes up. 45 is certainly below senior -- and that's me holding down the average there.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Heh than I must be considered middle aged at the age of 34
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
What do you think?
I think you are under 35?

BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
pixelbased
pixelbased doesn't litterpixelbased doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Heh than I must be considered middle aged at the age of 34
Yikes. Then I'm a fetus at 26!
pixelbased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I just turned 42 and can out PT all the "kids" that work for me. I think that age is just a number and a state of mind.

Now, as for big business... age is a target demographic in which to maximize profits. Everyone knows who has the money... and it ain't the teenagers!
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
I think if they issue an education version with a larger screen and more eTextbooks, the average age will go down significantly. Until then, mid-40s sounds about right - some younger avid readers who are very tech oriented, tempered by the older set who generally read more and are getting more comfy with electronics and are willing to pay for "luxury" items for convenience.

Of course, at 43, I hate thinking of myself as "average".
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
....comfy with electronics...
I would submit that those of us in out forties are the ones who created the electronics market of today.... walkman's, PC's, cell phones.... all started when I was a "kid".
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #13
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Hmmmm, guess the tender age of sixty is topping out this thread but I dare anyone to call me "senior" cause I'm far from that status! LOL
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Hmmmm, guess the tender age of sixty is topping out this thread but I dare anyone to call me "senior" cause I'm far from that status! LOL
I totally agree.... but I bet you still take the senior discount at the Sizzler... lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't think he was saying 45 was considered a senior but that more in the older crowd would drive the average age up.

BOb
Agreed, it just struck me as a little funny. Middle age now seems a much higher number than it did when I was a teenager
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote