Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
frenshprince
Connoisseur
frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW3, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo HD
Share with cover

Hello,

I have a little question about the feature "share on facebook".

When I share a highlight on facebok from a book I bought on the Kobostore,
here's what I get :

And the same book bought on Amazon (and convert to kepub):

So my question :
Is there a way to include the cover or the kobostore redirection information in the converted Kepub, in order to get a nice highlight with the cover ?

Thank you for your help

Last edited by frenshprince; 10-16-2014 at 11:13 PM.
frenshprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've never used the Facebook share function so this is just my guess, but I doubt the device is getting the information about the cover url from in the kepub itself, rather from the metadata that gets downloaded along with the kepub when you buy a book from the Kobo store.

Even if you bought the book from the Kobo store and then sideloaded it as a kepub, I think it would just be treated the same as if you had bought the book from Amazon. (If you sideload a book that you bought from the Kobo store withpout deleting the original, then you will have two books on the device. The two books are treated as completely different books, even though they might be identical in content. Features such as Sync and BeyondTheBook won't work for the sideloaded copy, but will still work for the original.)

The exception might be with some free books that are available from the Kobo store. Some of them seem to be linked directly to the Project Gutenberg site, and if you download the book from the Gutenberg site Kobo treats it the same as if you got it from the Kobo store.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As GeoffR said, it's probably not uploading the cover, but the URL for it from the Kobo server. Can you tell if the cover has been uploaded as part of the post or is it a link to the cover on the Kobo servers?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
frenshprince
Connoisseur
frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'frenshprince knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Even if you bought the book from the Kobo store and then sideloaded it as a kepub, I think it would just be treated the same as if you had bought the book from Amazon. (If you sideload a book that you bought from the Kobo store withpout deleting the original, then you will have two books on the device. The two books are treated as completely different books, even though they might be identical in content. Features such as Sync and BeyondTheBook won't work for the sideloaded copy, but will still work for the original.)
I just tried this, and you're right
It works only with the original kepub downloaded form the server, in the kobo folder.

Quote:
As GeoffR said, it's probably not uploading the cover, but the URL for it from the Kobo server. Can you tell if the cover has been uploaded as part of the post or is it a link to the cover on the Kobo servers?
It's seems to be a link to the Kobo server.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Yeah, I have tried this before with sideloaded kepubs, and it only displays up to a certain bit from your highlighted text... I once hightlighted a whole paragraph, and it got cut off, and when I tried accessing the link, it just gives me a kobo 404 page...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
frenshprince
Connoisseur

It's the same with Kindle.
Only books bought on Amazon can be highlighted/share.

I'm sure there is a way to insert something in sideloaded contents, to activate this feature, but still haven't found anything.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenshprince View Post
It's the same with Kindle.
Only books bought on Amazon can be highlighted/share.

I'm sure there is a way to insert something in sideloaded contents, to activate this feature, but still haven't found anything.
This actually isn't true at all--I just shared a highlight from a Non-Amazon book to my Goodreads profile with no problem at all. I could probably share to my Facebook or Twitter account as well if I had them connected with my Kindle. I didn't "insert" anything special into the book at all, just used the Send to Kindle app to send it to my Kindle.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This actually isn't true at all--I just shared a highlight from a Non-Amazon book to my Goodreads profile with no problem at all. I could probably share to my Facebook or Twitter account as well if I had them connected with my Kindle. I didn't "insert" anything special into the book at all, just used the Send to Kindle app to send it to my Kindle.

Shari

That's Goodreads. Facebook is different. Facebook uses a "link" feature that has a screencap of that webpage acting as a thumbnail. So if the link is non-existent, then there won't be anything to display on the thumbnail bit... For the image to be included in FB, then your Kobo device would also need to upload the cover image as well...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote