Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
MRBill
MRBill began at the beginning.

Device: Surface
Have you heard of Bluestacks? It works on intel windows system. It is an ANDROID shell, android Kobo runs great on my surface pro!
MRBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBill View Post
Have you heard of Bluestacks? It works on intel windows system. It is an ANDROID shell, android Kobo runs great on my surface pro!
However what the gentleman was complaining about was the lack of a Kobo app for his Windows RT (ARM CPU) tablet.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Windows RT that is pretty much a dead letter? Other than Microsoft/Nokia, I am aware of no other manufacturers of Windows RT tablets that have not discontinued them. Not hard to believe given that Windows RT tablet sales wouldn't make a rounding error in Android or iOS tablet sales.

If you are running an AMD/Intel flavour of Windows on a tablet, the Kobo desktop app works. If not, you might want to try Kobo's Instant Reader though given the quirkiness of IE 11, you may run into issues.

Regards,
David
Not at all a dead letter. The Surface 2 is selling very well, and I've heard from a bunch of people who got the original Surface RT at a bargain price and they're really happy with their Surface. I know I'm liking my Surface 2 a lot. Perfect? no, hardly. But a useful tool and one I'm using more and more.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not at all a dead letter. The Surface 2 is selling very well, and I've heard from a bunch of people who got the original Surface RT at a bargain price and they're really happy with their Surface. I know I'm liking my Surface 2 a lot. Perfect? no, hardly. But a useful tool and one I'm using more and more.
I have an original Surface, not Surface 2 (though I've been eyeing getting one ...). I don't use it often, but I have taken it on several multi-day vacations with no backup laptop and it's worked great for the kind of stuff I'd want to do on vacation (aka, not work). My day-to-day is still on an x64 laptop or desktop, but at least for me the Surface has been much more capable on the go than an iPad or Android tablet.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #35
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo touch, iPod touch 4th gen, kobo arc, kobo arc 10 HD, nexus 5
Is there any way I can read kobo books on windows, offline?
I want a transformer book t100, and I could use kobo desktop on that, but I can't use kobo desktop because its really buggy.
I really want a windows tablet, but I won't consider it unless I can read my kobo books, offline.
nathan.grewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #36
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.grewal View Post
Is there any way I can read kobo books on windows, offline?
I want a transformer book t100, and I could use kobo desktop on that, but I can't use kobo desktop because its really buggy.
I really want a windows tablet, but I won't consider it unless I can read my kobo books, offline.
See http://www.kobo.com/html5app.

Quote:
Unstable Internet connection? Never fear! You can keep reading offline.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #37
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic
nathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of lightnathan.grewal is a glorious beacon of light

I like to have wifi off- it saves battery.
If I'm away from wifi, and a want to read, they should let me read!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Couldn't you just de-drm whatever Kobo book you are reading and then use any reading software you want?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #39
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic

I would, if it were legal.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.grewal View Post
I would, if it were legal.
Fair Use exemption.

Lots of people here who hold by stupid things like the law as it is, rather than what the publishers want it to be.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #41
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...7-ff6aa0462567

From Facebook:
Quote:
The Kobo for Windows App is now available for your Windows 8 notebooks, tablets and desktops. Download the Kobo for Windows app today and watch your content come alive on your Windows device!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #42
nathan.grewal
Dickens Fanatic

Yay! I'm so glad its back. Let's hope it works better this time around.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #43
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Don't use Windows 8. It sucks anyway.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #44
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I am forced to assume that you have 8 and are some sort of ABM IT pro in order to back up your claims
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #45
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
yesterday it was really hard to get it to work on my machine: first it would not login, then it kept crashing, hanging, not syncing, you name it. Just not working at all. I am very stubborn, so I am persevering, but the process is quite frustrating, expecially considering that the android app on my phone is very snappy. I am running windows 8.1 pro on a high spec machine (i7 haswell 4500u with 8GB of ram and 1T hard disk), so I do not think my laptop is the problem. Also, very annoyingly, it does not sync anything with the account (no bookmarks, no notes, nothing). In short, at the moment for me this app is not really usable.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 8 surface