Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry - I misread your post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #32
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Maybe I am missing something here, but why would you need the VPN at all? Unless some video and music sites Amazon does not seem to check ore care where you actually are. I have accounts on Amazon.uk, .de and .com, all registered to my real Austrian address and Austrian credit card, and they work fine.
The only problem is that you can only buy ebooks for one kindle account. So my kindle is registered to the US-account, and if I occasionally want an ebook from Amazon.de I have to use a second account with a different email. It works, but is a bit of a hassle.

I don't buy many german ebooks, anyway, as the choice is much smaller and prices are high, due to the fixed price agreement for books in German.
I am not extremely price sensitive, but I don't like to pay almost as much for an ebook as for a hardcover copy.

Last edited by Kretzer; 02-25-2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Sorry, only now I noticed this has been said before - skipped a page by mistake ..
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm transferring back and forth between my US and German account all the time.
No problem whatsoever.
You just change your country in the Kindle settings and link your former purchases to that account.
Nothing is downloaded or deleted, nothing changes on your Kindle.
There is one thing that you lose: magazine subscriptions.
I changed once from US to DE and then back , because I liked the US offers better. Too late I realized that I lost a very attractively priced subscription for "Die Zeit" and had to get it anew for a higher price.
For my needs, switching countries often is too much effort, I just stay with my US one now, and if I want one from DE I get it with my second account. As all my Kindle books go through calibre + plugin anyway it doesn't make a difference ...

Generally all of these international dealings are way too complicated, I think. It's not like we want to do anything bad here.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #34
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Does using a VPN with Amazon UK work with Kindle for Mac (as opposed to a Kindle device)? When I buy a book and then click on Open with Kindle for Mac, will it just go into My Kindle Content with my US books without any problems for either Amazon account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have an Amazon UK account. I use a VPN, a different account with different email, my credit card and a UK Address.
If looking for a VPN check out Tunnelbear, it has a free version.
http://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing/
Apache
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
Kretzer
out of depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Does using a VPN with Amazon UK work with Kindle for Mac (as opposed to a Kindle device)? When I buy a book and then click on Open with Kindle for Mac, will it just go into My Kindle Content with my US books without any problems for either Amazon account?
Yes, it will. In my Kindle for Mac I have books that I bought with two accounts in two countries. You have to login with one account to download the books that you bought with that one, and the other books just stay there.

But as I said, you don't even need VPN for that, you just surf to whatever Amazon store you like and buy the book - provided you have an account, of course. But they don't mind, if you have several accounts.
You can only use one Kindle account in one store, though.
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #36
Vanguard3000
Zealot
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottenbooks View Post
Nice to hear that. hows the book?
It's awesome, thanks for asking. Have you read it? The prose is a bit awkward at times, being a translation, but the story itself is pretty nifty. There are a lot of neat facts about ants presented - albeit embellished/exaggerated somewhat - in the novel as well.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #37
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
It's awesome, thanks for asking. Have you read it? The prose is a bit awkward at times, being a translation, but the story itself is pretty nifty. There are a lot of neat facts about ants presented - albeit embellished/exaggerated somewhat - in the novel as well.
Books 2 and 3 are way more bizarre, but still highly entertaining and fascinating.
I've read all 3 ca. 1995 and re-read the first one on Kindle. Bought the English version in my German account without switching to my US address.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #38
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Switching back and forth between countries just to buy a few books --- that seems like trying to poke a sleeping lion to me. Who knows when things will go wrong and you will be blacklisted. With a second account that should be safe enough, but a hassle.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
Vanguard3000
Zealot
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Books 2 and 3 are way more bizarre, but still highly entertaining and fascinating.
I've read all 3 ca. 1995 and re-read the first one on Kindle. Bought the English version in my German account without switching to my US address.
It's be nice to read them, but unfortunately they don't seem to have been translated to english, and my french is abysmal.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #40
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Switching back and forth between countries just to buy a few books --- that seems like trying to poke a sleeping lion to me. Who knows when things will go wrong and you will be blacklisted. With a second account that should be safe enough, but a hassle.
A second account and a second credit card probably would be 100% safe.
But I don't want to go through the hassle of having a US virtual credit card.
And using the very same German credit card and same billing address in 2 accounts most likely wouldn't help much. Amazon could check this with the simplest of search algorithms. And this then really would seem like trying to cheat.

I don't think, there's a real risk of being blacklisted.
Amazon clearly allows for more than 1 address/country in a single account. They even explain the process of switching countries in the settings of your Kindle.
The only thing suspicious in my case would be, switching accounts back and forth within minutes: "You've bought the first book from Germany and the second one 10 minutes later from the US? Did you travel with Jean-Luc Picard?".
I didn't actually care for the time between transactions in the past. But I guess, as I "only" buy about 200 books per year from Amazon, most purchases probably will be a few hours apart.
But even if, let's say, 10 purchases per year would be suspiciously close to one another: "Hey, I've traveled from Germany to the US and forgot to switch to the US account for the first purchase. Then I remembered and switched for the second buy"...

The real interesting question to me: What defines your country? Do you have to be physically in this country?
If a US citizen travels: Should he stick to the US account? Or is he, when physically in Germany with a valid billing address, allowed to switch to the German location? The latter would make sense. Would he order physical goods, for example paper books, they would be shipped to this German address.
But I don't think, Amazon anywhere ever has explained or limited that. The US citizen might switch accounts. But of course he would be allowed to stick to his original US account as well, hence the explanations about "International Delivery Fees" (you receive this email on your Kindle when you're in a different country setting while purchasing).

Let's assume, someone is in the lucky (but not totally unrealistic) situation of having 2 places of living. My former boss for example is German citizen, but bought himself a log cabin in Canada.
He actually has 2 valid addresses of residency. And he actually spends months in Canada. When actually living in Canada, of course he's allowed (obligated?) to use the Canadian account. But then a few questions arise:
a.) When in Canada: Does he have to use the Canadian account? Or could he still use the German one? I'm pretty sure, he's allowed to use both accounts. Why shouldn't he be allowed to still use the German account? After all, it's still his main residency. But why shouldn't he be allowed to use the Canadian address? He, right then, actually is living there.
b.) When back in Germany: Does he have to suspend the Canadian account while not in Canada? If so: Where's the limit? What about a tourist from Canada, who only spends a week in Germany?

Meaning: I think, my examples describe, how complicated the process actually is. The only "obvious" issue for Amazon would be, if someone switches accounts within minutes and then obviously couldn't have been in both locations physically. But then I'm coming back to my questions from above: Does a tourist from the US in Germany have to switch to a German account? I guess not, of course he will be allowed to still use his American address. But wouldn't he be allowed, in addition, to use the (in this very moment valid) German address?

As long as Amazon officially allows for more than 1 address in the very same account and accepts the very same credit card with a single billing address, I don't think there's any reason for shutting down an account.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-04-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #41
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
It's be nice to read them, but unfortunately they don't seem to have been translated to english, and my french is abysmal.
As in most cases, I guess it's about the publishing strategy. The German versions for example exist since (at least) 1995 (when I've read all 3 books). But the eBooks aren't available yet, not even book 1.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #42
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have two accounts and have been using the same credit card with both without any problems. I am paying for the books I buy and I am not cheating Amazon. The author is getting paid and a publisher is getting paid. So what if it is not the same publisher as the one in the country in which I reside. I have bought PB and HD books from the UK. I have never been told I could not buy them from the UK via the mail even though I am residing in the US.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have two accounts and have been using the same credit card with both without any problems. I am paying for the books I buy and I am not cheating Amazon. The author is getting paid and a publisher is getting paid. So what if it is not the same publisher as the one in the country in which I reside. I have bought PB and HD books from the UK. I have never been told I could not buy them from the UK via the mail even though I am residing in the US.
Apache
Following that (to me totally plausible and legal) logic:
Why should there be a difference between using 2 separate accounts on one hand and having 2 addresses within the very same account on the other hand? The latter may be more obvious, but eventually it's the same...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I like werber myself.

Quote:
As in most cases, I guess it's about the publishing strategy. The German versions for example exist since (at least) 1995 (when I've read all 3 books). But the eBooks aren't available yet, not even book 1.
They took ages to get the french version as e-book as well. Though all of the showed up at the same time when they did.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #45
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
I'm surprised to read about people in the USA having trouble ordering from Amazon in the UK, or Germany, etc. I have a single Amazon.com (USA) account and I order successfully from their US, UK, German, Canadian stores, (though I've never ordered an ebook from them.) I use the same email address and Amazon password on all of their sites, and all my info (cc, billing and shipping addresses, etc.) pulls up the same across their sites.
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote