Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
joewiz
joewiz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Scripting ebook-convert for batch parallel processing?

Hi! First post here. I'm interested in using the bash shell to script the conversion of my epub files to mobi. Right now I have this working:

Code:
for f in *.epub; do ebook-convert "$f" "`basename "$f" .epub`.mobi"; done;
This works fine, but it only operates on one epub at a time. In the Calibre GUI it seems to run up to 3 conversions at once. Is there a way using the command line to run ebook-convert in parallel? I have a quad-core iMac, which could blow through these much faster in parallel.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Joe

p.s. I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.4, using Calibre 0.8.53.
joewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Moderator Notice
Moved thread out of development sub-forum. Read this sticky post before posting again in the development sub-forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
joewiz

@dwanthny: Thanks for putting my question in the right sub-forum!

I look forward to any ideas people here in the Conversion sub-forum might have.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Bash is so last century Save the following as batch.py in the directory wth your epub files. Then run it as either

python batch.py
or
calibre-debug -e batch.py

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import os, time, glob, subprocess

files = glob.glob('*.epub')

workers = []
while files or workers:
    while len(workers) < 4 and files:
        f = files[0]
        files = files[1:]
        w = subprocess.Popen(['ebook-convert', f,
            os.path.splitext(f)[0]+'.mobi'])
        workers.append(w)
    for w in list(workers):
        if w.poll() is not None:
            workers.remove(w)
    time.sleep(0.1)
Change 4 to the number of worker processes you want.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-30-2012 at 04:29 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
joewiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Bash is so last century Save the following as batch.py in the directory wth your epub files.
Awesome! Thanks so much. I'll give it a try.
Advert
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Dyspeptica
Enthusiast
Dyspeptica began at the beginning.

Joewiz, Don't believe him. Bash is still now!

Jump over to here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...124219&page=17

At the bottom of the page is a chunk of script which I happened to post earlier today (well, it's still Wed. here).

Pure bash setup with a call to ebook-convert and all of the command line switches available.

For *multi* use, I suppose you could open another terminal, and start another thread there. It *should* work...but that could depend on how your OS provides library (.so) access to calling processes. I have an idea that the memory space for running processes is kept separate. But MMMV. (I'm going to try it just to see).

Otherwise, you will need to split your source files: can't have two 'for file in *;' processes looking at the same folder!
Dyspeptica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm willing to bet xpath could also be used with the --max-procs=4 parameter...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Bash is so last century Save the following as batch.py in the directory wth your epub files. Then run it as either

python batch.py
or
calibre-debug -e batch.py

Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import os, time, glob, subprocess

files = glob.glob('*.epub')

workers = []
while files or workers:
    while len(workers) < 4 and files:
        f = files[0]
        files = files[1:]
        w = subprocess.Popen(['ebook-convert', f,
            os.path.splitext(f)[0]+'.mobi'])
        workers.append(w)
    for w in list(workers):
        if w.poll() is not None:
            workers.remove(w)
    time.sleep(0.1)
Change 4 to the number of worker processes you want.
Question, would this work under Windows, too?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, it should work in windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
Foster82
Foster82 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
HI will this also scan sub directory's too ?
Foster82 is offline   Reply With Quote