Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Problem with html -> Mobi conversion - html tags visible.

I am having some trouble using .html (zip) -> .mobi conversion.

As soon as I enable post-processing (and check any of the alternatives) my resulting mobi loses all formatting and outputs html tags in cleartext (see picture below)

This is happening consistently with multiple html files, Calibre 0.8.12 on Win7.

I apologize if I posted this in the incorrect section.

Edit: also, my heading is wrong. It's supposed to be html -> mobi and nothing else.

Moderator Notice
Fixed title per your request

Last edited by theducks; 08-04-2011 at 08:31 PM.
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Without access to the .zip file it's hard to say, but that <pre> tag on line 2 is suspicious. Where is its matching </pre> tag?

<pre> tags normally mean 'show this text as-is' i.e. you wouldn't expect to see <b> and <i> tags inside <pre>...</pre> tags.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapt0 View Post
I am having some trouble using .html (zip) -> .mobi conversion.

As soon as I enable post-processing (and check any of the alternatives) my resulting mobi loses all formatting and outputs html tags in cleartext (see picture below)

This is happening consistently with multiple html files, Calibre 0.8.12 on Win7.

I apologize if I posted this in the incorrect section.

I would guess yo have another <pre> tag before the empty <p> tags
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try turning off post-processing. I don't use it and don't have these problems.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try turning off post-processing. I don't use it and don't have these problems.
I need post-processing due to the layout film scripts have so they fit onto an ebook reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would guess yo have another <pre> tag before the empty <p> tags
Actually I don't.

Besides, <pre> tags are only for keeping spaces and line breaks as they are in the HTML (and Calibre should probably remove the pre tags when you perform unwrapping.)
See:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Besides, <pre> tags are only for keeping spaces and line breaks as they are in the HTML (and Calibre should probably remove the pre tags when you perform unwrapping.)
See:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp
Your screen shot is showing a rendering of the book.
What is in the CODE?
Perhaps:
Code:
<pre>    << this one will not show in the book view
<p></p>
<pre>...

</pre>   << this one will not show in the book either
</html>
</body>

I have used Pre tags before
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing is don't use <pre> tags. On most readers, they don't work properly because if they are too wide for the screen, there's no way to scroll left/right to see what's off the screen. Convert <pre> into <div>.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I need post-processing due to the layout film scripts have so they fit onto an ebook reader.
But have you tried without post processing just to see what happens?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
khromov
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But have you tried without post processing just to see what happens?
Yes, the book is rendered without this problem if post processing is disabled, however, the book is rendered poorly thanks to the formatting being optimized for view on a screen, therefore I need to use post processing to make it work well on an e-reader.

Since this is happening over multiple tested html files, regarding of whether the <pre> tag is actually to blame I think the issue needs to be looked over to see if there is a problem with BeautifulSoup or other internal component of Calibre.

As for posting the actual file, I'm not sure if it would be allowed under site rules, but you can simply try saving this page as a html file and import it into Calibre to recreate the issue:
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Gattaca.html
(Convert html -> mobi and enable any of the post-processing options to recreate issue.)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
You should NOT rely on Calibre's ebook viewer to preview/test an ebook conversion, particularly MOBI conversions.

To properly preview/text a MOBI file you should use either a Kindle device or the Kindle Previewer. The latter is a special software viewer that is designed to replicate the display on the device. The current version can replicate the K3, KDXG, Kindle for iPob, & Kindle for iPhone and is available free from this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

Also, the <PRE>...</PRE> tag set specifies that all contents are pre-formatted. You can't reliably include any other HTML formatting tags inside of <PRE> section. When you do, they should be displayed by the browser/reader/viewer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote