Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #1291
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And I've just noticed that my Asimov's subscription at Fictionwise has finally ended. The question is: Do I wait for the issues to appear (after a long time!) at Fictionwise and then buy them there on a weekend discount, or just get a subscription at Amazon? Ditto for my Analog subscription, which only has three issues left.
Has Amazon changed that thing I've heard about where they only let you download your magazine issues to one device, and then delete them from your archives after a set time, and if you don't make your own backups you're out of luck?

Unless you have an urgent need to read the issues as they come out, I'd personally let them pile up at Fictionwise and then catch up when the 50%+ coupons were offered (which incidentally is what I do now).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #1292
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Based on the praise of the Wool Omnibus, I had to buy it. Glad I did. Very good. There is still one more book in the series that I have yet to buy that I will soon. These are very reasonably priced.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #1293
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Has Amazon changed that thing I've heard about where they only let you download your magazine issues to one device, and then delete them from your archives after a set time, and if you don't make your own backups you're out of luck?

Unless you have an urgent need to read the issues as they come out, I'd personally let them pile up at Fictionwise and then catch up when the 50%+ coupons were offered (which incidentally is what I do now).
That is a big disadvantage of buying form Amazon - they're in Amazon's weird Magazine format, and have DRM. While the DRM is easy to remove, I dislike the magazine format.

I did get a reply from Fictionwise, saying that the Dell Magazines would appear shortly. I suspect this means just the next issue, not the two that they're behind Amazon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #1294
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Based on the praise of the Wool Omnibus, I had to buy it. Glad I did. Very good. There is still one more book in the series that I have yet to buy that I will soon. These are very reasonably priced.
I also bought it based on all of the praise it has received, but I have not read it as yet. Glad to see yet another happy reader fo it, though. I probably won't get to it anytime soon, but I'm looking forward to it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #1295
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I just finished reading Child of Silence by Abigail Padgett - it's a mystery with a bipolar detective - and went out and acquired the other 4 books in the series. She's self-published, so the books were either free or $2.99, so I only spent a total of $6 for 4 books, but still... and I'm trying to read-down my tbr list, too. oh, well.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #1296
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Just got to this thread. Hi, my name is Xena ..... oh. errrr. maybe it's Deb ..... I'm an ebook addict too. I have (7 index pages times 10 / page = 70) books I've purchased, on my TBR pile. I've got another 95 index pages (950 or so) of free ebooks that looked good. Sigh. I'm thinking of buying another Kindle, because the current one is getting so slooooow. Just to put more books on, you understand. I wouldn't get rid of the first Kindle, no sirree!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #1297
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Just got to this thread. Hi, my name is Xena ..... oh. errrr. maybe it's Deb ..... I'm an ebook addict too. I have (7 index pages times 10 / page = 70) books I've purchased, on my TBR pile. I've got another 95 index pages (950 or so) of free ebooks that looked good. Sigh. I'm thinking of buying another Kindle, because the current one is getting so slooooow. Just to put more books on, you understand. I wouldn't get rid of the first Kindle, no sirree!
Hi Deb, and welcome to the support group. Now you've recognised that you have a problem, hopefully you'll be able to get you buying under control.

Doing so has many advantages. Apart from the peace of mind it brings, it's also good for your pocket. And not just because you're buying fewer books. You will also find, if you follow the guidelines in this thread, that your average cost per ebook goes down significantly.

Unfortunately (from your point of view) this thread won't help you with your freebies. In this thread, freebies don't count. Only bought books count. If you don't need to spend any money, acquire as many as you like — you'll never be able to get them for less than free, and you can get as many as you like without eating into your budget.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #1298
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Unless of course she has to buy a second Kindle to hold them all!

I have to confess to looking at the Kobo site recently, but I haven't bought anything - yet.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #1299
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I've been very good for the month of July. No ebooks, about $20 MP3s, but I was very bad with my Mac Apps and TV shows. iTunes had a sale of BBC nature programs and the new OS came out so it's good that I didn't get any ebooks. This month I'm looking at getting MS for Mac 2011 ($100) so that means another month of no ebooks. I find if I don't look I don't buy so that means I stay away from all ebook stores, period.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #1300
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
Okay, I really need to take this seriously. Until September 9th, I am not allowed to buy any more ebooks (or paper books, for that matter). I haven't bothered to count them all, but there is a lot. I just bought four of the Game of Thrones books, and that is going to be the last ebooks I buy for a month.

Yes. I need to get through some of my TBR pile.

/has very little willpower
//this will be interesting
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #1301
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalona View Post
Okay, I really need to take this seriously. Until September 9th, I am not allowed to buy any more ebooks (or paper books, for that matter). I haven't bothered to count them all, but there is a lot. I just bought four of the Game of Thrones books, and that is going to be the last ebooks I buy for a month.

Yes. I need to get through some of my TBR pile.

/has very little willpower
//this will be interesting
The only way to do this: DON'T look at the store. Engross yourself in the books you already have, and don't go to any book store, nor online to any ebook location. It's hard, but it can be done!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #1302
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I bought 6 books in July and I've gotten 3 so far this August. I used Kobo's 45% off coupon to get a book at the beginning of August and a couple of days later it was working again!
I'm thinking of changing my "books read" counter to "books bought" counter and at least then I'll have the satisfaction of reaching my goal!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #1303
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, so much for not buying books. Sourcebooks has a sale on Heyer, and there were seven that I had somehow missed last year. Well, they're not missed now. OTOH, she's a favourite author, and they are on sale, so I think it's a valid splurge. But shoots my TBR right in the head!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #1304
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My problem is with sale books. The book will be on sale briefly for like $3, or whatever, and I'll think, "I'll want to read that eventually" and I'll buy it. I have a lot of books like that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #1305
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
My problem is with sale books. The book will be on sale briefly for like $3, or whatever, and I'll think, "I'll want to read that eventually" and I'll buy it. I have a lot of books like that.
Only buy if you can genuinely say that it's a favourite author or series, or that it was already on your wish list.

If it just looks interesting, don't buy it!