Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Post Upcoming eDGe models - pictures!

Found this article on the MSNBC site regarding Arnold Schwarzenegger visiting the Marvel headquarters (makers of the CPU powering the eDGe):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39068749...s-asia-pacific

Of particular note is the photo caption that says "Calif. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger is shown an enTourage eDGe tablet", and you'll see the person in the picture holding a tablet, what looks like an iPad, but if the caption is to believed, is a new enTourage tablet.

Secondly, in the middle of the picture at the bottom is what appears to be the "Pocket eDGe" (you can read "eDGe" on the eInk side), with round edges.

In the bottom left corner appears to be a red version of the current eDGe.

The new tablet and mini-eDGe remain to be officially announced, but this all ties in to recent rumours of two devices coming to Verizon this Fall - supposedly a single-screen tablet and a mini-eDGe.

The mini-eDGe I was anticipating (and saving up for!), but the tablet is a complete surprise. The mini-eDGe is relatively unique, but given that tablets are a dime a dozen now and ruled by the grand daddy of tablets, the iPad, I'll have to wait and see what the enTourage tablet offers to persuade people to buy it rather than an iPad (or one from HP, Dell, etc.). Perhaps a colour eInk screen?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
RockmanX20
Edge User

I don't think that is a new EDGe. I think it's a tablet that uses the Marvell chip. On the screen they have 4 different devices, once of which is a cell phone.

Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
jsfiller
Edge User

Yeah, you can see the eDGe on the table. Good marketing job though, getting the eDGe in the caption when the device being shown to Arnold is different!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

It's hard to tell what the size on the middle device is, but it does say Edge on the screen. One thing I notice is the camera lens is on the reader side. This makes a bit more sense, especially if it is a device small enough to be hand held. And back to another idea I had mentioned, the possibility of phone use, I read on another forum that the Samsung Galaxy tablet (7 inches ) is a full phone (some specs herehttp://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p1000_galaxy_tab-3370.php) . So is the 5 inch Dell Streak. That leads me to reason that tablet manufacturers are adding phone capabilities, thus Market access to the new Tablets. So many new gadgets, I can't wait!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! Are you saying that people should NOT buy the Entourage eDGe anymore and rather just wait until the "newer" cellphone-sized and capable tablet-phone crossbreed is launched later this year???

I would hate to think that I just wasted $550 on buying the eDGe to find out that I should have waited a couple of months for the "new and improved Entourage eDGe 3 and 4.0".... T_T

Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

No, I don't think anyone is saying wait for the new. I see the possibilities owning both models would have. I often wish I had my edge with me when it seemed awkward to bring it along. The same reason I bought a net-book (the EEE PC 901) a couple of years ago. I was excited by the idea of the Courior for that reason, and disappointed when it dissolved as vapor-ware. I don't think the Pocket Edge would suit my school needs, but as a personal organizer, and book reader the idea suits my needs. The phone thing is just a theory, we'll see soon I hope.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

The only improvement on the new models is the inclusion of built-in 3G. The software, from all signs uncovered in the Dingo release, will be the exact same as what we have on our eDGes now. Since most campuses have wifi, as do coffee shops, airports (even my local car dealership out in the boonies), 3G will really be of use only for those that can't find a wifi spot when they really need one, on a regular basis.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
RockmanX20
Edge User

The model that the lady is holding is not an Entourage Edge. It is the Armada 610 tablet. If you go to the original article, you can see Arnold holding it in his hands and the article gives an description of it. The only thing that would stands out for us is the Entourage Edge Mini.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_16023693

Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
borisb
Edge User

Thanks for posting this - it sets my mind at ease

Old 09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Eddy R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The only improvement on the new models is the inclusion of built-in 3G. The software, from all signs uncovered in the Dingo release, will be the exact same as what we have on our eDGes now. Since most campuses have wifi, as do coffee shops, airports (even my local car dealership out in the boonies), 3G will really be of use only for those that can't find a wifi spot when they really need one, on a regular basis.
...Should be headlined on forum front page and included in Entourage emailings.... VERBATEM.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Well, maybe not so fast. My opinion is based on rumours and speculation, and a consolidation of all available evidence. In any case, enTourage hasn't released any specific details, so I could be whistlin' Dixie

Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
alefor
Edge User

I must admit that I am not surprised about the tablet being a different (non-eDGe) product. But it is great to see a picture of the "Pocket eDGe" (or whatever its called). This is a compelling device and I will buy one as soon as its available. I am hopeful that they will sell it without a forced 3G contract, as seems to be in vogue these days. The new Samsung tablet is only being sold thru carriers. That would be a shame (in my opinion) if Entourage did the same thing.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #13
jsfiller
Edge User

I agree. I don't want to be forced into purchasing a data plan.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
MichaelV
Edge User

I put my money on the Adam Notion Ink now as a single screen device. And I will have a nook for garden/beach reading.....