Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I liked the idea of the total page count since the battery was recharged so I made that. The remaining pageturns before the battery runs out is very difficult to do.

Here is the file to get the total pages counter. To reset the counter go to the "about" screen and press "ENTER". Use the universal flasher made by Igor to install. I tested it and it works good but of course all usage is on your own risk.
Hmm... is there a tutorial on how to use the flasher? And does this XML have other "hacks" in it or just the total counter?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
diabloNL will have to answer your second question, but the answer to the first may be found here.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2007, 06:10 AM   #18
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Hmm... is there a tutorial on how to use the flasher? And does this XML have other "hacks" in it or just the total counter?

It has the total counter and the clock that was already in the original file.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
Fain
Fain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
diabloNL, Anyway to move the page total to the left side of the battery bar?
Fain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fain View Post
diabloNL, Anyway to move the page total to the left side of the battery bar?
You mean that you want the counter totaly on the left and the battery bar nexy to it? May I ask why?
Advert
Old 08-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #21
Fain
Fain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Just a preference really I guess.

To my understanding the counter displays how many page turns you have left with the current charge, or rather, counts down from 9999 and you can then kind of approximate how many turns you have left from experience and use of your Reader.

Having the counter by the page numbers would just drive me batty, I mostly only look at the page number on the bottom bar, looking at the other things only when needed. Such as the clock and the battery bar.

I feel this counter goes in the "as needed" box. Where the page number is more of a readily needed thing.

If you can understand what I'm trying to say

Paperbooks have page numbers, not clocks, pages left counters and battery bars :P So I like those things to be less in my face Which they are right now, but the counter in it's current position kind of distracts me from my reading experience.

Here is a quick photoshop to make it a little more clear what I'm talking about. Clock isn't shown here, but it was just a quick hack and slash of a google image I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	4785  

Last edited by Fain; 08-10-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add picture example
Fain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Sorry Fain but that is not how the counter works. It just keeps track of the pages flipped from the moment you reset it. What you describe is not possible because the reader's battery has only four stages. If the battery in the firmware would be a variable between the number 1 and 100 or 1 and 255 I could make something based on specs.

Even if you would come up with an algorithm to estimate it still wouldn't work because you can't keep track of the hours the reader is in its "off" state. So let's say the battery went from 100% to 77% when it was not in use. The battery variable would still come with 100% and that will give you the wrong numbers considering the battery life.

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-10-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #23
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It already does timestamps on bookmarks -- unless I don't understand what you're suggesting, jakeluck.
there aredatestamps in the toplevel "All bookmarks" listing, not timestamps. also those marking doesn't exist under the book_name->"Bookmarks"
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Personally, I like where the counter is now. I've gotten used to it. And it doesn't take away from the page count.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 AM   #25
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
My Wish list is pretty short.

Direct Folder access. IE I turn it on and it shows me the "books" directory in the root of the Memory Card I can then navigate where I wish.

Direct PDB support. ie drop some PDB's on the memory card and read them natively.

Thats about it. I already have native pdf txt and rtf support with no sony software needed. (One of the few things sony did right with a product)

Sony did two things with this reader that I HOPE will result in them being rewarded. SD support and Native direct file format support. On something like a book reader SD support is not super critical but its a good gesture to consumers. Open File access was critical otherwise it would be doomed to failure.

I would be so happy with those two features supported :-) (Native PDB and Folder Access)

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, we don't want eReader support. Most eReader books are poorly formatted with line spacing between paragraphs. That would make me want to not read ebooks.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's his wishlist, though, JSWolf. But the good news is that you can make your own wishlist.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
That's his wishlist, though, JSWolf. But the good news is that you can make your own wishlist.
The bad news is nobody will listen.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Aww, JSWolf ... we'll listen! Of course we'll probably also give you a hard time about it, but that's only 'cause we like you.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The bad news is nobody will listen.
You mean that you've never heard of the Sony secret police?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote