Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
joebookreader
joebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
Touch is bricked

Wondering if someone can help me. I synced my Touch via WiFi and it froze while updating. The top banner reads "Downloading software 83%" but is totally frozen otherwise.

I have tried to turn off the device using the power switch, reset the device using home+power, plugged into my PC via USB and also the hard reset via the pinhole.

Not sure what else I can do...any ideas?

Of course this thing is just over a year old...
joebookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My best guess is charge your reader with phone charger not sync cable connected to computer for hours then try again.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
joebookreader
joebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura aboutjoebookreader has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, that's the only thing I could come up with after looking through all the online forums. Hopefully this works.

So far, the only response I can get from the device is that the blue light on the power switch lights up for a few seconds when I try to power down.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
joebookreader

No luck...I've been charging for a few hours now and no difference. I have a hard time believing that this is hardware related and I can't see how a software upgrade isn't recoverable.

Anything else that can be done?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Did you make sure the device was off before trying the reset? Hold the power button in the off position for at least 10 seconds to make sure it is off. Then try the Home+power button.

If that doesn't work, try the home+pin hole reset:

- Again, make sure it is really off buy holding the power button in the off position for at least 10 seconds.
- Hold the Home button down and push something into the pin hole until you feel it click. Release that but keep the Home button down until the light at the top starts flashing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Have you checked if your Touch has a microSD card for the firmware? If so, I'm uploading the factory image of the unit I have. It might be worth a shot.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
joebookreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you make sure the device was off before trying the reset? Hold the power button in the off position for at least 10 seconds to make sure it is off. Then try the Home+power button.

If that doesn't work, try the home+pin hole reset:

- Again, make sure it is really off buy holding the power button in the off position for at least 10 seconds.
- Hold the Home button down and push something into the pin hole until you feel it click. Release that but keep the Home button down until the light at the top starts flashing.
Thanks for your suggestions.

It is kind of tough in my case because the device does not turn on or off anymore. The only feedback I can get is that the blue light will come on for about 5 seconds when I slide the power switch. I can't get any green/white or flashing at all.

Having said that, I have tried what you suggested with no luck.

One more symptom I can share - when I connect to a PC via USB, it recognizes the devices for 5 seconds and then it disconnects. Kobo desktop never sees the devices as I don't think it ever properly registers to Windows.

I am in touch with Kobo support but I am not hopeful right now.

I'm wondering if this is a battery failure...since my impression is the device doesn't look like it powers up properly no matter what.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Mine froze last night. No response from anything, plugging in, charging etc etc, nothing seemed to work.

Here's how I fixed it - warning, it does a factory reset and you will have to setup your device and reload your books.

- Press the home button
- Turn the device over (whilst still holding the home button down)
- Push paper clip into reset hole until you hear a click (keep home button down)
- Hold paper clip and home button down until the light starts flashing (I think it was red/amber). This took at least 10 seconds
- Release the paperclip
- Release the home button

The factory reset should start. Hope this works for you

Good luck!
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
- Hold paper clip and home button down until the light starts flashing (I think it was red/amber). This took at least 10 seconds

Good luck!
And this is the bit that was the trick for me. I tried home and power, pin hole reset and lots of other combinations first. It was the 10 seconds holding both that did it. And I got that tip from a kobo rep on Getsatisfaction
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote