Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I got my Samsung Galaxy Player today! I was a little worried because despite being a prime member Amazon sent it via postal service. It came priority mail but still.

It a cute little tablet. It fits perfectly in my hand. The screen is no where as good as my KFv1 but it isn't bad either. I'm quite happy with it. I have access to Google Play which is nice.

Now I just need to find a protective case. I currently have TPU skin on it which is nice but it needs something more if I put it in my purse.

I'm a little disappointed to see the Kindle For Android app has changed it slider. I remember the old version allows you to change the background brightness of the book now it just changes the brightness of the screen. Screen Dim only goes to the same low setting and the default but the contrast slider works so I'm sure I can find a comfortable setting for reading at night.

So far I love it! Any bigger and I would just get a KF any smaller it would feel like a phone. 5" tablet is perfect for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It sounds really nice, Blossom. I'm glad you're so happy with it. What will be your primary use for it?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It sounds really nice, Blossom. I'm glad you're so happy with it. What will be your primary use for it?
Everything I think. The Kindle Fire was never a tablet I could use more than lite surfing and Kindle reading. My phone is with me always and I use it more than anything so this will take it's place and I can save battery. it's nice to have a tablet that is a mini size at your finger tips.

It's a mp3 player by default and does have really nice sound. Audible works great on it. I've already loaded up my favorite apps I have on my phone on it. The text quality could be better but I say it's about the same as my phone.

Tomorrow I will take a pic of it with the KF and my phone so you can see the difference in size.

The first thing hubby asked was.........Does it play Angry Birds?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL at your hubby. It sounds really nice. Hmm.. I need a new phone, I wonder if I might be better with something like this. Is it a phone too or is that another version? I look forward to seeing pic comparisons.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 11-05-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
lsmoore43
lsmoore43 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kobo readers
I have the Nook Color and my hubby got me the new Kindle Fire HD as an Anniversary gift and I love it.. I agree with you about all you said. I love that no matter which way I hold it when I am reading it, the screen will turn in that direction.. Good for reading in bed at night also and does not disturb my sleeping hubby.. I do still love my Nook Color also but it just doesn't do near as much as the KFHD..
lsmoore43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
lsmoore43
lsmoore43 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook or Kobo readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
To the OP:

I upgraded from the Kindle Fire to the Kindle Fire HD, and liked it so much that I sold my iPad (first generation) and have preordered my wife the 8.9" KFHD.

In my opinion, EVERYTHING is better about this upgrade:
*The device itself has a better form factor, and the magnetic case fits like a glove, and is much better than any case they've ever had before. I LOVE just opening it up and it's on, and closing it and it's off.

*The screen is crisper, and because of the way it's built, the text and graphics seem right at the top of the screen instead of seeming to be buried beneath a couple of layers of plastic.

*Everything is faster, and games that I had deleted off the first gen Fire because of lagging work fantastically in the HD.

*The speakers are actually quite good, not just acceptable, but good!

*The biggest reason is intangible: I just enjoy it more, and don't have any complaints about it. I know it's not perfect, but I'm an Apple fanboy, and I sold an iPad to buy a second, larger Kindle Fire HD...that should tell you something right there.

So yes, the upgrade is ABSOLUTELY worth it.
I have the Nook Color and my hubby got me the new Kindle Fire HD as an Anniversary gift and I love it.. I agree with you about all you said. I love that no matter which way I hold it when I am reading it, the screen will turn in that direction.. Good for reading in bed at night also and does not disturb my sleeping hubby.. I do still love my Nook Color also but it just doesn't do near as much as the KFHD..
lsmoore43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
LOL at your hubby. It sounds really nice. Hmm.. I need a new phone, I wonder if I might be better with something like this. Is it a phone too or is that another version? I look forward to seeing pic comparisons.
No it's a Mp3 Player but it's really a 5" tablet. Unlike the KF it has everything a tablet has including widgets!

I think the Samsung Galaxy S III is the latest craze on phones.
Myself I'm a LG fan. The durability of LG phones makes it my choice of brand.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmoore43 View Post
I didn't realize the Nook didn't rotate. All my Android Devices do that.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No it's a Mp3 Player but it's really a 5" tablet. Unlike the KF it has everything a tablet has including widgets!

I think the Samsung Galaxy S III is the latest craze on phones.
Myself I'm a LG fan. The durability of LG phones makes it my choice of brand.
Thanks Blossom. There's so many phone choices I feel overwhelmed by them. I guess I'll see. Enjoy your new Samsung Galaxy Player.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks Blossom. There's so many phone choices I feel overwhelmed by them. I guess I'll see. Enjoy your new Samsung Galaxy Player.
Thanks. I am totally in love with it! Only negative is default keyboard key sounds can not be turned off So I installed Swiftkey 3 keyboard and all is good.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #26
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well you can get a no contract smartphone. Depends on your needs. I assume more 5" devices will be available and sooner rather than later. I do like that size for portability.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'm waiting to buy the first Amazon branded smart phone.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Everything I think. The Kindle Fire was never a tablet I could use more than lite surfing and Kindle reading. My phone is with me always and I use it more than anything so this will take it's place and I can save battery. it's nice to have a tablet that is a mini size at your finger tips.

It's a mp3 player by default and does have really nice sound. Audible works great on it. I've already loaded up my favorite apps I have on my phone on it. The text quality could be better but I say it's about the same as my phone.

Tomorrow I will take a pic of it with the KF and my phone so you can see the difference in size.

The first thing hubby asked was.........Does it play Angry Birds?
Keep in mind (though I'm sure that you already know this) that although the documentation for the SGP 5.0 states that the max microSD card supported is 32GB, it has been widely reported that it will support 64GB microSDXC cards... simply insert the card in the device and format it.

If one shops around, you can find a 64GB card for $50. $250 for a 64GB Android-based media player?! Fantastic!

I have a Galaxy S II Skyrocket that I'm not sure whether I'll use as a phone or dedicated PMP, but either way, that 64GB card is definitely on my list.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Keep in mind (though I'm sure that you already know this) that although the documentation for the SGP 5.0 states that the max microSD card supported is 32GB, it has been widely reported that it will support 64GB microSDXC cards... simply insert the card in the device and format it.

If one shops around, you can find a 64GB card for $50. $250 for a 64GB Android-based media player?! Fantastic!

I have a Galaxy S II Skyrocket that I'm not sure whether I'll use as a phone or dedicated PMP, but either way, that 64GB card is definitely on my list.
I'd never use that much space! I was thinking about putting another 8GB on it. I have a 16GB on my Sansa Zip but I need it for my Audio Books. On the other devices they stay on the Cloud til needed. The headphones are not the best. I will be picking up another pair of JVC marshmallows.

I installed Amazon App store on there and OMG! It's 30MB now?!? What the.....Google Play is like 9MB tops. On my phone I have a very old version of app store. It's about 8MB no way I'm upgrading my phone has only 180MB for apps.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #30
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The new Nook 7" would be my choice to mess wiith given its specs versus the SGP for the price. Its light for its size and not much bigger where its clumsy to use.

No Play Store but I have other toys for that. Thinking about upgrading the kfhd. Wish these toys did not come out so fast.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote