Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Wasp Woman
Wasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
EPUB from library on Kindle?

Sorry for the nooby question. I recieved a EPUB from the library. I tried to use Calibre to put it on my Kindle. It would not transfer because it was DRM? protected. Is there anyway around this? I don't want to read a book off of my computer. Thanks
Wasp Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You need to download 'kindle books' from the library.

When you go to your library and look for ebooks, you will generally see a selection of formats for each. PDF, epub, or kindle. (And audio)

Only Kindle books will be able to be read on your device. If the book you want isn't offered in kindle format, you are out of luck.

Good luck! PS: Welcome to the forum.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Wasp Woman
Wasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it isWasp Woman knows what time it is

Thanks for the information. I hope they add more Kindle books.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp Woman View Post
Thanks for the information. I hope they add more Kindle books.
If you google Aprentice Alf's blog and read about DRM For The Perplexed, there are 'tools' that might help you to utilize Calibre to add those ePub books onto your kindle....it is very easy. This forum does not allow for specific instructions. Welcome to the forum!

GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
If you google Aprentice Alf's blog and read about DRM For The Perplexed, there are 'tools' that might help you to utilize Calibre to add those ePub books onto your kindle....it is very easy. This forum does not allow for specific instructions. Welcome to the forum!

We don't give help for breaking library eBooks. If you can't get them in the format you want, you just can't get them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And one other thing, you have to be in the USA to be able to borrow Kindle eBooks from the library. Overdrive & Amazon do not lend outside the USA currently.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And one other thing, you have to be in the USA to be able to borrow Kindle eBooks from the library. Overdrive & Amazon do not lend outside the USA currently.
can you even do that outside of the city? for NYC at least you'll need to have the NYPL card to borrow ebooks. And the only way to get that is to show up in person and bring your ID and proof of address.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We don't give help for breaking library eBooks. If you can't get them in the format you want, you just can't get them.
Malarky.....

Do we really need to have another thread devolve into a discussion about the legal and ethical aspects of removing DRM so one can read a library e-book on one's preferred e-reader?! Give it a rest......

Also, I'm not exactly sure who your "we" is, but it doesn't include me. And if "you can't get them in the format you want", Calibre and a little help will allow you to "get them".

Have a nice Thanksgiving Jon.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Keep in mind that the 'mobile' Overdrive web pages won't give you a Kindle option (assuming you are using the Fire browser). If you change the Fire browser settings (under 'Advanced' find 'Desktop or mobile view') to 'Optimize for desktop view' then you'll get the 'full' website and the choice to get Kindle format. Once you get the full site, bookmark the URL and then use that. You'll then be able to have the browser setting as desired.

Another option is to install Overdrive Media Console on your Fire (from Overdrive.com). You can use that to read .ePub format and also listen to library audiobooks, etc. It's not a great ePub reader but it should work on Kindle (I haven't tried it myself yet on Fire as I am currently out of ADE authorizations..).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

As GoSharks says, this is not particularly difficult, but we can't provide detailed instructions here. But a google/bingle of Apprentice Alf should give you what you need.

And, as GoSharks accurately predicted, the usual degeneration of this thread is now in full swing. But if you need help, there are folks monitoring the Apprentice Alf blog that can provide it. And meanwhile, know that you certainly CAN read library books on your Kindle, even if you're only able to get a particular book in ePub format. Since I live in Canada, there really isn't any other choice for me, but I regularly borrow and read eBooks from my provincial library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
FrankPG
FrankPG began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Adobe Digital books to Kindle 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
As GoSharks says, this is not particularly difficult, but we can't provide detailed instructions here. But a google/bingle of Apprentice Alf should give you what you need.

And, as GoSharks accurately predicted, the usual degeneration of this thread is now in full swing. But if you need help, there are folks monitoring the Apprentice Alf blog that can provide it. And meanwhile, know that you certainly CAN read library books on your Kindle, even if you're only able to get a particular book in ePub format. Since I live in Canada, there really isn't any other choice for me, but I regularly borrow and read eBooks from my provincial library.
Hi CRussel, I also live in CDN and would like to borrow ebooks from my local library. I "borrowed" a book which is sitting in Adobe Digital on my PC. However Adobe Digital wouldn't recognize my Kindle 3. What do I do?

FrankPG
FrankPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPG View Post
Hi CRussel, I also live in CDN and would like to borrow ebooks from my local library. I "borrowed" a book which is sitting in Adobe Digital on my PC. However Adobe Digital wouldn't recognize my Kindle 3. What do I do?

FrankPG
You need to remove the DRM and convert the book to mobi. The conversion is best handled by Calibre, but the DRM part you'll need to google Apprentice Alf. Forum rules prohibit explicit directions for DRM removal here. (And I perfectly understand and support the reasons for those rules, btw.)

It sounds more intimidating than it is in practice, I promise.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankPG View Post

FrankPG
You will need to download and use Calibre (an excellent e-book library manager program -- free, supported by donations). However, before you import the e-book into Calibre from Adobe Digital Editions, you will need to google Apprentice Alf's Blog and read about/get "things" (read 'DRM for the Perplexed') that will allow you to expand Calibre's 'abilities'. I know this sounds cryptic, but it is actually very easy to do...we just aren't allowed to discuss this topic in specifics. As CRussel said, if you are still unsure what to do, post in Apprentice Alf's Blog and there are people there that can give specific help. It is so easy that 99% of the time you will not need additional help. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Wasp Woman

Thanks! It worked.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Malarky.....

Do we really need to have another thread devolve into a discussion about the legal and ethical aspects of removing DRM so one can read a library e-book on one's preferred e-reader?! Give it a rest......

Also, I'm not exactly sure who your "we" is, but it doesn't include me. And if "you can't get them in the format you want", Calibre and a little help will allow you to "get them".

Have a nice Thanksgiving Jon.
I didn't start it this time and recalling correctly, most people participating in that other thread were against hacking library eBooks.

And it's because of this "help" that we have Hatchette and Penguin stopping new eBooks via Overdrive.

Do you want to cause problems where problems don't exist? Do you want to help take away library eBooks? The publishers could be reading this.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.