Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
ebook naviagtion & Kindle Previewer questions?

I have a question about navigating through an ebook on a Kindle and about the Amazon Kindle Previewer App. I'm in the process of converting hundreds of Microsoft Reader ebooks I've purchased over the years so that we can read them on my wife's Kindle (or mine if Mrs. Claus brings me one). Often a straight conversion using Calibre would work but the results aren't quite what I'd like. I've started converting to epub, modifying and tweaking with the excellent Sigil editor and then converting to mobi. Using the Previewer app, I'm able to check out the results before saying I'm done and copying to my wife's Kindle.

Here's where my questions come in. Depending on how many levels make up the lit/epub files' ncx I'm working from, the ncx view doesn't show quite correctly since mobi can only have a one level ncx. There's an ncx view in the app but I see no similar view on the actual Kindle, so I'm not certain if it really matters. There are buttons in the app to move from section to section, just like moving from page to page. Depending on the chapter headings, these may not work quite correctly either. But, again, while these buttons appear in the app, I see no way to perform this same function on an actual Kindle.

Am I missing something? Is there some hidden ncx view on the Kindle that I'm not aware of? Is there some key combination or hidden option that will allow me to move from section to section on a Kindle?

If these options aren't available in some way on an actual Kindle, I'm not really sure why they appear in the Previewer app. If they don't exist on the real thing, I could save myself some trouble and not worry about getting everything quite "perfect" when I'm tweaking for my final conversion.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to offer me some answers.

Sincerely,
- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Section to section (certainly in periodicals downloaded via Calibre) is done using the left/right/up/down toggle on the K3, or the toggle button on the K2 and KDX.

This also works on Chapters in a properly formatted book.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Section to section (certainly in periodicals downloaded via Calibre) is done using the left/right/up/down toggle on the K3, or the toggle button on the K2 and KDX.

This also works on Chapters in a properly formatted book.
suecsi,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to make certain I understand correctly. When you say "left/right/up/down toggle", you're speaking to the four-way pad, correct? Everyone has different terminology for the same things so I didn't want to assume I knew what you were speaking of

It seems like I'd tried that one before but I'm sure I must've missed it. Thanks for your help.

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
For what it's worth, you can have multi-level NCX on the Kindle, only it just displays the first level points in the location bar at the bottom.

In order to navigate the invisible 2nd level, you have to find a start point for said second level and flick back and forth to navigate it via the 5-way controller. It's enough of a hassle that it may be worth editing the original NCX to un-nest nested navPoints.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Yes, I meant the 4-way pad (on the K3) or 4-way toggle switch on the K2 and DX. Needed to have my dinner and I think my brain was tired .....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote