Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Question Android Readers - Offline Dictionary and Footnotes (epub)

I previously posted this inquiry in the "sticky" Android reader thread, but no response has been posted, perhaps because the thread has been around for so long that most people ignore it.

I'm looking for two features in an Android e-pub reader that I haven't yet found in any program I've tried. First, it needs to have an offline dictionary so that I don't need to go online to look up a word. I've found several that offer this feature, but most don't.

I also want to be able to access footnotes, as I read a lot of nonfiction. The Nook app does handle footnotes, but its dictionary seems to be online only.

Is there an epub reader that offers both of the above features? The only app I've seen that offers both features is the Kindle app, but of course it doesn't handle epub files. Is there an epub app that does both?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I may be wrong but I think Amazon is the only one that has negotiated license agreements for free (to us) offline dictionaries with each Kindle app. Their Oxford dictionaries are pretty good.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, osnova. The Cool e-reader app also lets you use one of several dictionaries (fora and colordict, I believe). But unfortunately it doesn't follow hyperlinked footnotes.

I guess what I'll have to do is use either the Cool or Aldiko app for most books, but use Nook when I need to access footnotes, and use the Colordict offline dictionary if I need to look up a definitiion.

Dictionary look-up and access to footnotes would seem to be important features for an e-reader app, but very few apps have either one, and I haven't found any apps that have both, other than Kindle.

Thanks again.

SteveK
Old 11-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Mantano may provide what you're looking for. There's a free version supported with ads. You can buy if you want to. I use it for endnotes, don't know if it works with footnotes. My non-fiction books don't use footnotes.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
SteveK
Addict

Scion- Mantano seems to do what I was looking for! I was using "foonotes" in a generic sense; more accurately they would be endnotes. At any rate, Mantano can access them, and it has dictionary lookup. It's also DRM compatible.

I think I may have found a new default reader! Thanks for your recommendation!

SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 11-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Scion- Mantano seems to do what I was looking for! I was using "foonotes" in a generic sense; more accurately they would be endnotes. At any rate, Mantano can access them, and it has dictionary lookup. It's also DRM compatible.

I think I may have found a new default reader! Thanks for your recommendation!

SteveK
I was pretty confident in my recommendation. Enjoy!!!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote