Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
True... but then the apples or oranges need to be the same price point. If I am investing the extra money into a Kobo, it would be for the "extra" features. So in that case, it is obvious why Kindle wins out: Lower price point and offering a cheaper entry-level option being the main ones.

And like others have said before, the Kindle "just works." Great for the less-technical audience, or people (like me) who just got tired of always trying to deal with Kobo "workarounds" or waiting for the next patch to fix bugs/known issues.
Yeah, I can feel your pain. Looking for a 7" ereader, why purchase a Libra for $199.99 Cdn when I can save by buying a Kindle Oasis for $329.99 Cdn. I won't even think of buying the Forma with an 8" screen for $299.99.

As for the entry level option? Yes, the basic Kindle does come in at $119.99 however you get 4GB for that price. To move up to 8GB, you are looking at the Paperwhite. Sadly, Canadians are not offered a discount for the privilege of displaying ads on their Amazon ereaders. I will admit to getting a chuckle when I looked at Amazon.ca where it showed the Paperwhite 8GB as being $139.99 Cdn and Amazon.com where it showed the Paperwhite 8GB for $149.99 US ($212.01 Cdn) and in stock on April 30.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon_ca_paperwhite8GB.png
Views:	27
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	178082   Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon_com_paperwhite8GB.png
Views:	27
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	178083  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
True... but then the apples or oranges need to be the same price point. If I am investing the extra money into a Kobo, it would be for the "extra" features. So in that case, it is obvious why Kindle wins out: Lower price point and offering a cheaper entry-level option being the main ones.
(In the US):

Kindle Paperwhite: 129.99 at Amazon (with ads)
Kobo Clara HD: $119.96 at Walmart

How does Kindle have a lower price point?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #48
Simboubou
Enthusiast
Simboubou began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
(In the US):

Kindle Paperwhite: 129.99 at Amazon (with ads)
Kobo Clara HD: $119.96 at Walmart

How does Kindle have a lower price point?
You're not comparing the entry level. The most basic kindle is cheaper than that.
The more basic kobo... isn't sold anymore, tho I suppose you can still find it in some places.
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simboubou View Post
You're not comparing the entry level. The most basic kindle is cheaper than that.
The more basic kobo... isn't sold anymore, tho I suppose you can still find it in some places.
Why would I compare the Clara HD to the basic Kindle? The Clara and the Paperwhite are comparable models. The Paperwhite is also the defacto Kindle model in the US. Kindle didn't become #1 in the US on the back of the basic.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:

And like others have said before, the Kindle "just works." Great for the less-technical audience, or people (like me) who just got tired of always trying to deal with Kobo "workarounds" or waiting for the next patch to fix bugs/known issues.
You have a choice. You have Just works (poorly) or you have works much better then a Kindle. I prefer works much better then a Kindle.

In another thread it's said that the new 5.12.4 firmware causes excess battery drain. So if you keep your WiFi on to download from Amazon, you can get the firmware pushed to your Kindle (PW3 or later).

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-03-2020 at 05:44 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the US...

Amazon Kindle Oasis 7" 8GB, adverts WiFi - $249.99
Kobo Forma 8" Plastic backed screen 8GB No Ads WiFi- $249.99
Kobo Libre 7" 8GB WIFI no ads - $169.99

I think Amazon is charging way to much for a device that is lacking in features.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #52
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the US...

Amazon Kindle Oasis 7" 8GB, adverts WiFi - $249.99
Kobo Forma 8" Plastic backed screen 8GB No Ads WiFi- $249.99
Kobo Libre 7" 8GB WIFI no ads - $169.99

I think Amazon is charging way to much for a device that is lacking in features.
Come on, Kindles are not that bad. They have most of the features Kobos have. Yes, fewer font styles and margin options, but you can install your own fonts just fine, you can install your own font sizes and the default margins are good for most people, except the ultra-small margin crowd.

No custom screensavers, but then again Kindles have some features Kobos lack, like global search, X-ray etc. No way are modern Kindles "lacking in features".
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Come on, Kindles are not that bad. They have most of the features Kobos have. Yes, fewer font styles and margin options, but you can install your own fonts just fine, you can install your own font sizes and the default margins are good for most people, except the ultra-small margin crowd.

No custom screensavers, but then again Kindles have some features Kobos lack, like global search, X-ray etc. No way are modern Kindles "lacking in features".
With a Kindle, margins are wide, line hight is wide, and eBook organization is very poor. Calibre integration is average with no series and no collections.

With a Kobo, eBook organization was good and got better with the new series series feature. Calibre integration is excellent with series, and collections.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #54
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
With a Kindle, margins are wide, line hight is wide, ...
In your opinion. In my opinion they're perfectly fine.

As to collections, I don't really use them. They're not an essential feature for me. Global search is far more important to me and Kobo doesn't have that. So I'd say they have an equal amount of important features. Important for me, personally.

I'd have no beef with your stance if you had said "...lacking in features I need". Not "lacking in features" in general, because that's just not true.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
In your opinion. In my opinion they're perfectly fine.

As to collections, I don't really use them. They're not an essential feature for me. Global search is far more important to me and Kobo doesn't have that. So I'd say they have an equal amount of important features. Important for me, personally.

I'd have no beef with your stance if you had said "...lacking in features I need". Not "lacking in features" in general, because that's just not true.
Yes, lacking in features and more expensive.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #56
Sirtel
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, lacking in features and more expensive.
No, they're not lacking in features.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #57
HLS
Addict
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
I own KOBO, kindles, and Nooks and like all 3. Kindles has a better online store but I like KOBO devices better in a way for the battery lasts longer and I like the more customization and reading stats that kindles lack. I use kindle oasis when I want to buy an audiobook companion for kindle allows you to listen and read at the same time, at least on tablets. I also love my Nook 7.8. It is the most basic of the 3 but I get bored easily and like to switch around devices and buy books on each
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #58
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle 7th Gen, Paperwhite 2, Sony PRS-350
Sorry guys, I should have clarified that I am working from what the lowest price I've seen an ENTRY LEVEL device lately has been, and for me that was:
Kobo Clara HD: Around $120 CDN (although I have a vague recollection I *might* have seen them as low as $110). And yes, before I continue, I'm pretty sure an "entry-level" Kobo is still better than the Kindle basic for resolution, storage size etc. But the argument here is that for the "average Joe Consumer" they may not look further than the price tag and the fact they both light up.
Best price I've seen lately on the New Kindle (160(?) dpi, 4GB storage, no ads, light-up screen): $84.99 CDN.... That is a good $25 - $35 cheaper, and yes, the average consumer can be swayed by that!

We are not arguing what WE (enthusiasts enough to be on this forum in the first place) would pay, the original question on this thread was why it is appealing to the masses.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:22 AM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Sorry guys, I should have clarified that I am working from what the lowest price I've seen an ENTRY LEVEL device lately has been, and for me that was:
Kobo Clara HD: Around $120 CDN (although I have a vague recollection I *might* have seen them as low as $110). And yes, before I continue, I'm pretty sure an "entry-level" Kobo is still better than the Kindle basic for resolution, storage size etc. But the argument here is that for the "average Joe Consumer" they may not look further than the price tag and the fact they both light up.
Best price I've seen lately on the New Kindle (160(?) dpi, 4GB storage, no ads, light-up screen): $84.99 CDN.... That is a good $25 - $35 cheaper, and yes, the average consumer can be swayed by that!

We are not arguing what WE (enthusiasts enough to be on this forum in the first place) would pay, the original question on this thread was why it is appealing to the masses.
I think you are making too big of a deal over the Kindle basic. The OP was asking why in almost all reviews Kindle is ranked as superior to Kobo. I'll tell you, it isn't the availability of the Kindle basic that causes that trend. (For one thing, the disappearance of the Kobo Aura 2 is relatively recent.) When the Aura 2 and the basic are compared, the Aura 2 is a better device.

I do understand why the Kindles win in these reviews. But it sure ain't because of the basic.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:39 AM   #60
Uncle Robin
Evangelist
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I do understand why the Kindles win in these reviews. But it sure ain't because of the basic.
This is a good point. When I log in to Amazon, I pretty much have to look for the basic - it's the ugly cousin kept out the back in the woodshed at parties, apparently. From Amazon's marketing pov, it's clear that the Paperwhite IS the de facto entry-level Kindle, even if not de jure. So it's fair to compare the PW with the Clara as starting points for both systems, I think.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote