Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
vmd108
vmd108 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW
Cant't turn on Kindle Paperwhite after long time no use

I did not use my device (Kindle Paperwhite 7th generation) for some time. When I opened the case cover it was a blank screen with empty battery mark. I put it on charge, but after the over-night charging, the green light did not appear as an indicator that the battery is full. Device can no longer be turned on. Screen saver is on screen. I tried all possible combinations for restarting by holding power button for 8 or 40 seconds but nothing helps. Contacting Amazon chat support was no help either. When I connect device to laptop, computer recognized it but without showing Kindle storage as before.

Is there some way that I could save files from device drive at least?

vmd108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
One of the things that has been known to revive a dead Kindle is to plug it into a computer and leave it overnight.

Leaving it sit uncharged for a long time may have killed the battery. But from years of reading on the Amazon forums, the above fix may help. I've no idea why it sometimes works.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I've left my ancient Kindle Touch off for a year or more and it will come back when I plug it into a charger and leave it that way for a day or so.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
It's really just a matter of luck. The problem with lithium ion batteries is that if they get so dead they have 0 charge and you apply a charge to them they catch fire. So they all contain circuitry that prevents them from accepting a charge when they get that low. At that point they're goners. I've heard of tricks that can sometimes bring one back but I've never known anyone to successfully use one of those tricks. And it's been so long since I've read one that I've forgotten what they are.

By the way, the indicator can say the battery is at 0 but it might still have some charge. Indicators aren't very accurate.

I left a Paperwhite under some things a few years ago and forgot about it and the battery was gone. I replaced the battery, which was no easy task. I foolishly bought a cheap battery for it from Ebay and it wasn't much good but it worked. I don't think I'd want to go through that again but if I did I'd probably get a Newpower99 battery. I've heard good things about them over the years although I've never actually used one.

You can find a video from Newpower99 on Youtube showing what's involved in changing your battery. I watched that before I decided to do it and while the process was identical to what the video showed I found it a lot more difficult than the guy in the video, so keep that in mind.

I'm not promoting Newpower99. I haven't used them. It's just the only reputable maker of Kindle batteries I know of. They've been around a lot of years.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
It's really just a matter of luck. The problem with lithium ion batteries is that if they get so dead they have 0 charge and you apply a charge to them they catch fire. So they all contain circuitry that prevents them from accepting a charge when they get that low. At that point they're goners.
There is a very slow emergency charge mode that is used if the battery circuit is dead, but it's slow. You might need to wait days or even a week for the thing to get enough power to do anything visible, but eventually things will speed up again. (Unless the battery is really, truly dead, which is possible: complete discharge can cause internal shorts, and the battery is a goner then.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
It's for this reason I never completely "power off" my old ereaders to avoid getting a dead battery. Maybe it makes no difference in battery life to avoid powering off but it serves as a reminder for me to periodically check the charge of my old ereaders.

As far as charging a dead kindle I'm sure the usual suggestions such as trying different USB charging cords and plugging into different ports in the computer or different computers have been tried. Additionally, check for debris in the usb port in your kindle which may not allow for charging.

As far as getting the files from the dead device of course all amazon content is in the cloud. Any other content on your kindle I'm assuming you transferred mostly from your computer (unless you've downloaded stuff from the experimental web on your kindle) so you can access it there.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
It's for this reason I never completely "power off" my old ereaders to avoid getting a dead battery.
there is no way to power off a paperwhite, even if you want to. All you can do is blank the screen.

it does not have a shut down option, [ not even a secret one AFAIK] so unless you prise it open and pull the battery out, it stays on !

if you have one you are not using, like me, best you can do is leave it with wifi off but give it a top up charge every few months to keep the battery above zero.

dunno why they made them like that or if it is true for every PW generation but its true for my 3rd gen one.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
there is no way to power off a paperwhite, even if you want to. All you can do is blank the screen.

it does not have a shut down option, [ not even a secret one AFAIK] so unless you prise it open and pull the battery out, it stays on !
Note, if jailbroken, you can use Linux command line halt/shutdown/poweroff to turn off the device.

I'm actually running a test right now comparing battery draw on the PW4 in various states: shutdown, airplane mode on, airplane mode off, deep sleep.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
It's for this reason I never completely "power off" my old ereaders to avoid getting a dead battery.
it has nothing to do with whether or not you power off completely. it has to do with leaving it alone so long that the battery completely drains to zero and you don't notice. some batteries drain faster than others, whether in the off state or standby state. and if left unnoticed long enough, could kill the battery when there is nothing left for the device to drain. also, some (and maybe most) batteries drain themselves, even when not connected to any device at all. it's just a matter of the battery's quality and how much time has gone by.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #10
atonement
Zealot
atonement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, if jailbroken, you can use Linux command line halt/shutdown/poweroff to turn off the device.

I'm actually running a test right now comparing battery draw on the PW4 in various states: shutdown, airplane mode on, airplane mode off, deep sleep.
Sorry to bother you but I am interested in knowing if you ever posted your findings.
atonement is offline   Reply With Quote