Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Amazon store has nothing to do with the jailbreak, and anything that would break it (i.e. a firmware update) will happen on WiFi, not on the Kindle Store.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinderz View Post
maybe I should re-phrase it...
if i was to access the amazon store now would i lose the jail break?

I have important documents that i want to read in KO Reader
but then i also want to read stuff from amazon
Just be careful.

If very important -
Then check the Amazon customer support site to see what the current firmware version is for your device.
Compare that with what your device reports as installed in the settings page.
If the same, there isn't any OTA update lurking to jump into your machine.

Plus -
Install both of our update blockers - -
There have been some reports that suggest at least one of them has been rendered useless by Lab126 but the final word on that is not yet in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And it is likely nevertheless that the JB will remain preserved, so no harm done anyway (hopefully).
Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #19
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And it is likely nevertheless that the JB will remain preserved, so no harm done anyway (hopefully).
From your lips to the Kindle Gods' ears (and NiLuJe's).
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
From your lips to the Kindle Gods' ears (and NiLuJe's).
It has continued to be preserved for quite some time now, and Amazon has not chosen to wipe that partition to date, even after they nuked a lot of other stuff.

So as long as the bridge has an emergency.sh escape hatch, we are covered.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It has continued to be preserved for quite some time now, and Amazon has not chosen to wipe that partition to date, even after they nuked a lot of other stuff.

So as long as the bridge has an emergency.sh escape hatch, we are covered.
In the USA, they would be breaking the law if they did "wipe" it. That is the end-user's property.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
In the USA, they would be breaking the law if they did "wipe" it. That is the end-user's property.
Code:
/var/local/system/fixup
is no more the end-user's property than
Code:
/bin/
/dev/
/etc/
/lib/
/opt/
/proc/
/sbin/
/sys/
/tmp/
/usr/
/var/
All currently in an ownership dispute between lab126 and MR-Kindle-dev-corner.
The courts don't seem to care.

So far, Amazon has wiped a lot of stuff from those directories, oh, probably many times per day...
Old 12-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
While this might be, it is feeling less and less like Amazon respects the ownership of that property.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Code:
/var/local/system/fixup
is no more the end-user's property than
Nope - we are talking apples and oranges here.

If Amazon where to 'wipe' (not selectively delete selected sub-part and/or contents) /var/local/* - -
Then the 'wipe' I was referring to would be illegal because parts of the /var/local/* sub-tree's contents belong to the end-user.

But if the word 'wipe' is meant to mean they selectively delete parts of the system which they supply, then it is no different than any other part of the system they supply.

I.E: The reason they keep their hands off of /mnt/usr/* (or its underlying storage).

- - - - -

Amazon is breaking (one interpretation) of the GPLv2 code in their initramfs system -
(Which I went to lengths to document here at one time.)
But that one is a hard one to drag through the courts without a very technically knowledgeable court.

The biggest opportunity for legal action will be when (if) we can catch them using GPLv3 code.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Ah, I see what else is in there.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #26
swinderz
swinderz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
hmm so I am on 5.6.1 due to the silent upgrade with the new jail break

but the current version from amazon is 5.6.1.0.2.

hmm I guess I'll wait till someone tries it. I rather lose my pleasure in books on amazon rather than losing the jail break (KO Reader)
swinderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

hmm I guess I'll wait till someone tries it. I rather lose my pleasure in books on amazon rather than losing the jail break (KO Reader)
If by "new jail break" you mean version >=1.14 - then go ahead with the update, the JB survives, just as it was designed to do.

You will probably have to re-install everything else -
AND use the KUAL MrPi (Mobileread Package Installer) to do it.

Last edited by knc1; 12-19-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #28
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:

As Knc1 said, if you have JB >= 1.14, the update from 5.6.1 to 5.6.1.0.2 won't disrupt the JB. I have personally experienced that.
Of course you will have to reinstall other hacks via MRInstaller.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote