Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Why Jail Break?

With the new Amazon Kindle book app available through the iTunes store, I'm seeing more posts about jail broken iPhones and iPod Touches being the only way to get the Kindle books on a computer. I own a Kindle so I don't have a need to go through any extra steps to get access to my books.

In general, I'm wondering what the advantages there might be for jail breaking my iPod Touch. Is there a "Jail Break" central which lists advantages and available apps? I've been functioning fine without jail breaking but maybe there's a world of fun I'm missing. Talk to me.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Yah! Talk to me too. What does jail breaking my iTouch offer?

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
mbp
mbp doesn't littermbp doesn't litter

Device: none
There are a couple of very good reasons I jailbreak mine (maybe more iphone specific):

1) A custom "hosts" file to stop ads from loading while browsing
2) Openssl (I keep my passwords stored in an encrypted file)
3) Using my iphone as a way to connect my laptop to the net. With an unlimited data plan its pretty useful.
4) Backgrounder. I use it to run last fm or pandora to run in the background, so I can browse and listen to music at the same time.
mbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
There are a couple of very good reasons I jailbreak mine (maybe more iphone specific):

1) A custom "hosts" file to stop ads from loading while browsing
2) Openssl (I keep my passwords stored in an encrypted file)
3) Using my iphone as a way to connect my laptop to the net. With an unlimited data plan its pretty useful.
4) Backgrounder. I use it to run last fm or pandora to run in the background, so I can browse and listen to music at the same time.
Thanks mpb. Number 2 would be nice to have. I found a GUI for the actual jailbreaking. Is there a popular app site for the jailbroken?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It provides access to the iPod's file system also. My son #2 swears by jail breaking. He has all kinds of themes that he uses too.

I'm sure he could talk your ear off about it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
mbp
mbp doesn't littermbp doesn't litter

Device: none
@daffy4u
When you jailbreak the iphone you'll automatically get "cydia" installed its a bit like the official apple iphone application for installing applications. You can pretty much install anything available for jailbroken iphones using that.
mbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
@daffy4u
When you jailbreak the iphone you'll automatically get "cydia" installed its a bit like the official apple iphone application for installing applications. You can pretty much install anything available for jailbroken iphones using that.
I think I'll experiment this weekend. I understand one can un-break as needed for software updates.

Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I think I'll experiment this weekend. I understand one can un-break as needed for software updates.

Thanks again.
more like any software updates will un jailbreak your phone/ 1g Ipod touch.

there is really no downside, there are a ton of aplications, though the Appstore has a whole lot more, the darker aplications, and themeing options you get are nice.

You need an aplication called Quickpwn, You also need your Ipod/phones IPSW file for the firmware you currently have. if you updated it through itunes, it should be on your computer, or you can download it pretty much anywhere you can download quickpwn.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Timely.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Broken... shhhhh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken.png
Views:	751
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	25201  

Last edited by daffy4u; 03-07-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
davpel
davpel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for iPhone
Congratulation on jailbreaking! First thing to do is download Winterboard and start customizing your home screen. There are literally 1000s of different themes to apply, many with their own sounds, wallpapers, etc. Have fun!
davpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpel View Post
Congratulation on jailbreaking! First thing to do is download Winterboard and start customizing your home screen. There are literally 1000s of different themes to apply, many with their own sounds, wallpapers, etc. Have fun!
Thanks but I'm finding things confusing. I downloaded a pack of 270 abstract wallpapers and can't figure out how to use them. I've seen references to Summerboard, Springboard and Winterboard but I'm not seeing how to download them. Do I need to install a whole theme or can I just rotate wallpapers?

I've installed one app successfully, BossPrefs and used it to hide some icons.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The wallpapers and skins are probably the main reason people ail break. Also I think there are some GPS style apps only available on jail broken phones I recall.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
1) Tethering (use phone as 3G modem). Free
2) Non approved apps (MyWeek week view, intelliscreen lock screen diary, etc)
3) SBSsettings (toggle 3G, wifi, brightness, etc). Free
4) xGPS (turn-by-turn voice nav using googlemaps). FREE!!
5) Categories (organise app icons into folders). free
6) and if you're so inclined (can't be bothered myself) there's a world of pirated apps (called IPA's) that xIPA allows you to install like any other app
7) Clippy (system wide clipboard - great). COver off SMS forward and many other complaints
8) 5-row qwerty (awesome keyboard alternative with stunnign layouts)

Many other reasons like customising the look-n-feel (REALLY can't be bothered). Bit of a no-brainer. If it goes wrong you just restore iPhone and go back to being a little crippled.

Some of this will be covered in v3.0 being press-released (but not actually released) in 4 days.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZA View Post
1) Tethering (use phone as 3G modem). Free
2) Non approved apps (MyWeek week view, intelliscreen lock screen diary, etc)
3) SBSsettings (toggle 3G, wifi, brightness, etc). Free
4) xGPS (turn-by-turn voice nav using googlemaps). FREE!!
5) Categories (organise app icons into folders). free
6) and if you're so inclined (can't be bothered myself) there's a world of pirated apps (called IPA's) that xIPA allows you to install like any other app
7) Clippy (system wide clipboard - great). COver off SMS forward and many other complaints
8) 5-row qwerty (awesome keyboard alternative with stunnign layouts)

Many other reasons like customising the look-n-feel (REALLY can't be bothered). Bit of a no-brainer. If it goes wrong you just restore iPhone and go back to being a little crippled.

Some of this will be covered in v3.0 being press-released (but not actually released) in 4 days.
Great list! Thanks. Very interested in the Calendar, Category, Keyboard and Clippy apps.

Is that "Clippy" anything like the old Microsoft Clippy? Did he get a new job with Apple?