Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Anyone bought or opened up their Kobo Clara HD recently?

Kobo Clara HD has a known backlight bleed issue as seen on attached pic taken from previous Clara threads which can be fix from this helpful video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqVLnosNTI

I'm travelling to Montreal soon and looking to get the Clara HD from Indigo store.

1. For those who purchased in 2019, does it still have the backlight bleed issue?

2. If you opened up to change SD card, did Kobo install foam on the sides now or only at the bottom still?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x8OKjwP.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	171400   Click image for larger version

Name:	vW7CoDB.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	171401  
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Kobo Clara HD has a known backlight bleed issue as seen on attached pic taken from previous Clara threads which can be fix from this helpful video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqVLnosNTI

I'm travelling to Montreal soon and looking to get the Clara HD from Indigo store.

1. For those who purchased in 2019, does it still have the backlight bleed issue?

2. If you opened up to change SD card, did Kobo install foam on the sides now or only at the bottom still?
I bought a Clara HD less than a month ago. The screen has no light bleed issue. (Not sure why my picture was turned sideways. But you can see it is fine.)

I have not opened the Clara at all. I was planning on changing the SD, but honestly I'm lazy and really don't need the space.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clara screen.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	774.6 KB
ID:	171403  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-10-2019 at 10:53 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

While that video fixed it that way, based on what mine looked like, and other reports, the issue is that some glue along the sides didn't hold properly. It could be there wasn't enough, or some cases were slightly warped. If this has been fixed in the manufacturing, I expect it has been a change in how the glue was applied.

If you do see the light bleed, there is a simpler fix than in the video. Run a black felt-tip pen along the edges of the screen. This prevents the reflection that appears to be the cause of the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
While that video fixed it that way, based on what mine looked like, and other reports, the issue is that some glue along the sides didn't hold properly. It could be there wasn't enough, or some cases were slightly warped. If this has been fixed in the manufacturing, I expect it has been a change in how the glue was applied.

If you do see the light bleed, there is a simpler fix than in the video. Run a black felt-tip pen along the edges of the screen. This prevents the reflection that appears to be the cause of the problem.
I thought it was due to lack of light blocking tape along the sides of the screen?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have had 3 in the past year NONE have had Light Bleed.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I bought a Clara HD less than a month ago. The screen has no light bleed issue. (Not sure why my picture was turned sideways. But you can see it is fine.)

I have not opened the Clara at all. I was planning on changing the SD, but honestly I'm lazy and really don't need the space.
Great. Is it possible to take a pic of your Clara with similar light settings and setup like this one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	viQ64d7.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	171406  
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Great. Is it possible to take a pic of your Clara with similar light settings and setup like this one?
The things I do for you people

Here are two pictures. The first one recreates the exact settings in your attached picture (light set at 5%). The second one has the light and color temperature both cranked to 100%

Now one thing: The light bleed is those bright spots you see along the left hand side of the screen in your picture. The cones of light and shadow along the bottom edge can happen with any frontlit e-ink reader, if the front light is set very low (like the 5% shown) and you are in a completely dark room. They look a little more pronounced in that picture than I am used to seeing them, but every reader I've seen, Kobo, Nook or Kindle could have that under the right conditions.

It's from the way frontlighting works. There isn't a solid bar of light at any of the edges of the screen. It is a series of LEDs (I think it's five on the Clara) so there can be a slight shadow between the LEDs close to the source. It should only occur along the edge of the screen where the lights are housed (usually the bottom, but on the Oasis, they are on the side).

As you can see with my own 5% picture, it isn't usually noticeable. Only under some conditions. I usually leave my light at 25% and haven't seen it on my Clara, even at night in a completely black room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5 percent.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	171407   Click image for larger version

Name:	100 percent.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	560.6 KB
ID:	171408  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 05-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
mimbel
mimbel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Hello
I bought a Kobo Clara from Fnac in France for less than a month and I have fortunately not this problem of light. the lighting is perfectly hoomogeneous. I think the problem is solved with the new versions.
For the SD card I ordered a card of 32 GO class 10 which I have not yet opened the hood. lol
mimbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 AM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your picture shows Light bleed on lower right. When did you get this Clara?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I'm pretty sure he pulled that picture off the internet. It looks like the same picture I shared when I was trying to show what Clara light bleed looks like.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Given the OP states that he has not yet purchased a Clara HD and is waiting for his trip to Montreal, I would agree with Zodwallop that the image was downloaded from the Internet. Specifically as mentioned in the first post, from a previous thread on the Clara HD light bleed.

Quote:
Kobo Clara HD has a known backlight bleed issue as seen on attached pic taken from previous Clara threads

Last edited by DNSB; 05-20-2019 at 03:56 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #12
readingbunny
readingbunny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Here's my Kobo Clara HD I bought very recently. There's a bit of lightbleeding and shadows down the sides and near the bottom. It doesn't really bother me, but as it's my first e-reader I have no idea if this is normal or not. What do you guys think? I have around a week left to return it hassle-free, if this level of lightbleeding is unacceptable.

Brightness around 5%, one with 0% orange light, one with 100% orange light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clara1.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	171544   Click image for larger version

Name:	clara2.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	171545  
readingbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
tracyeo
Connoisseur
tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracyeo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505;PRS-600;Sony PRS-350;Kobo Mini;Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingbunny View Post
Here's my Kobo Clara HD I bought very recently. There's a bit of lightbleeding and shadows down the sides and near the bottom. It doesn't really bother me, but as it's my first e-reader I have no idea if this is normal or not. What do you guys think? I have around a week left to return it hassle-free, if this level of lightbleeding is unacceptable.

Brightness around 5%, one with 0% orange light, one with 100% orange light.
Mine also has a small amount of light bleed that doesn’t bother me. I didn’t know what light bleed was until I read this thread. My warranty expires next month so I called Kobo and they are going to do a replacement.
tracyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

OK that explains it.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:00 AM   #15
homesikalien
homesikalien began at the beginning.

I bought mine last quarter last year and it appears to have the backlight bleed issue. Although it didn't really bother me that much, I felt I should do something about it.Today, I chatted online with Kobo support and after they made me conduct a couple of tests (power off and on and factory reset), they agreed to replace my defective unit. I am wondering if they will give me a new unit or a refurbished one. Anyone here with any knowledge regarding this? Thanks
homesikalien is offline   Reply With Quote