Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
saltycoin
saltycoin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DP75SDI
Weird "ghost" books after jailbreak

Hi. I have recently jailbroken my kindle in order to use KOReader. I have noticed that a couple of "ghost" documents appeared on the main screen at some point. They show up as "new" and have the same name as books. I tried removing those books from the device, but the ghosts remain.

When trying to open them I get an "Application Error: The selected application could not be started. Please try again.". I can't long press to open a menu either. I believe the only relevant thing I did aside from usual KUAL apps was installing and then unintalling KPVBooklet (it didn't work).

So, is this a known issue? Can I remove those documents somehow? I thought a reset might do the trick but I'm afraid to do it with the jailbreak and all.

Device ID output:

Kindle Paperwhite 3
platform wario
muscat rev. 2
code 0G4
FW 5.6.5
saltycoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Removing how?

A screenshot might be helpful (both of the device UI, and of the matching internal directory tree).

I don't suppose those could be macOS resource forks? I'd imagine the Kindle properly ignores those, but, who knows.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 04:10 AM   #3
saltycoin

This is what I see when I open the Kindle: https://bayfiles.com/iba8n3Bfn2/Kindle_2_jpg

Now when I enable only books: https://bayfiles.com/Tba4n9B2nf/Kindle_4_jpg
You can see that last one ("Gutenberg ...") disappeared along with KUAL.

Now only documents: https://bayfiles.com/f1a5n6B9n0/Kindle_5_jpg

My clippings is just a .txt, the other two are the offenders.

When trying to open: https://bayfiles.com/g9a0n8B6n4/Kindle_6_jpg

As for the directory itself, this is what I see: https://bayfiles.com/e9a8nfB9n9/Kindle_7_png . That's with hidden files and OS files visible. Tree: https://pastebin.com/xwsmzDNL
Old 11-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your dictionaries are shown in F:\dictionaries\* but your documents are not shown in F:\documents\*.
Why is that?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only out of place things I can see are two old KOReader metadata files in Dyson, George\Turing's Cathedral - George Dyson.sdr

They're in a sidecar folder, so I doubt they could cause any issue, but, who knows...

I'd try a proper restart, see if that shakes things up. If it doesn't, check that you don't have any .fuse_hidden_xxxx files in there...
Advert
Old 11-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
saltycoin

The dictionaries are in F:/documents/dictionaries/. The books are in F:/documents/[author]/.

This is the whole kindle, if it helps: https://pastebin.com/ZzEJvSW8
Old 11-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
saltycoin

Yeah I'll probably reset it. I was just hoping it was a known thing that happens.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Note that I said "restart", NOT "reset" .
Old 11-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
saltycoin

Oh my bad. Restarting does nothing. No fuse_hidden files either.

A factory reset would be bad?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltycoin View Post
Oh my bad. Restarting does nothing. No fuse_hidden files either.

A factory reset would be bad?
Would not harm the computer, would just return to normal Amazon firmware (without any jailbreak).
It is up to the user to decide if losing the jailbreak is considered "harm".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If you are still at 5.6.5 or any any case less than or equal to 5.9.6.1, you can do a reset to clear everything, then follow this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086 to have a 5.9.6.1 jailbreak PW3. You would have to use booklet KUAL instead of kindlet KUAL
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote