PorcupineLTD
PorcupineLTD began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
why you think separated EPDC ???

if one Soc has no integrated EPDC, it's not support Eink

this is "IC"
I thought they used a separate EPDC (similar to how you can use a external modem in a phone even if you have a integrated one in the SoC) because NiLuJe said the Forma and the Oasis 2 have the same EPDC when NXP advertised a "4th generation EDPC" in their IMX7 Dual release and confirmed via support (that I linked) that the EPDC that the IMX7 has an improved EPDC compared to the IMX6

Quote:
A7 actually has worse peroformace than A9, means slower

if this "Oasis 2" does not use A7 Dual core, it's slower than one-core A9

look at here
https://www.cnx-software.com/2015/04...-64-bit-cores/
First the Oasis 2 uses uses IMX7 Dual witch is A7 dual core plus one cortex M4 https://www.anandtech.com/show/12367...on-the-ereader

Second the EPDC is separate from the CPU core, I wasn't talking about the CPU, I was talking about The EPDC.

Third if we are talking about CPU cores , had you read the article you linked you would have know that "Drystone benchmark has no floating-point operating, so it’s a pure integer benchmark.". The A7 is also higher clocked on the IMX7 Dual, it is more energy efficient, made on a better very low power node and there's two of them (+ the M0 for even lower power in less demanding situations).

Quote:
it means hardware imx6sll and imx7d are using same EPDC

the earlier imx6sl or imx6 use older EPDC

I know, they have "imx6" in the name but they are different
This is where my confusion comes from, the IMX7D was touted to have an improved EPDC, I imagine in relation to the previous best one (the one in the IMX6SL), they called it "4'th generation" is the one in the IMX6SL also "4'th generation"?

Last edited by PorcupineLTD; 05-29-2019 at 06:04 AM.
PorcupineLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #32
PorcupineLTD

Quote:
@PorcupineLTD it's not so vague if you read these through, well, it's long, "EPD" labeled is what we need

https://www.nxp.com/products/process...s:IMX6X_SERIES
https://www.nxp.com/products/process...rs:IMX7-SERIES
https://www.nxp.com/products/process...rs:IMX8-SERIES
I actualy did read it, and also looked in the product sheets but could not find anything but the mention of EPDC and the fact that the one in the IMX7D is "4'th gen". NXP support said there are improvements, named one and then said that more info is available for customers (here is the link again https://community.nxp.com/thread/386850).
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #33
PorcupineLTD

"Various levels of flexibility and programmability have
been introduced, as well as hardware support for
different E Ink image enhancing algorithms, such as
Regal D waveform support."

This is from the EPDC section of the IMX7D Data Sheet.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As far as the EPDC goes, it roughly follows this order: 6sl < 6sll = 7d.

Based on actual testing and the kernel sources, not marketing shenanigans.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:09 AM   #35
PorcupineLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As far as the EPDC goes, it roughly follows this order: 6sl < 6sll = 7d.

Based on actual testing and the kernel sources, not marketing shenanigans.
Good to know. Do you happen to know where the EPDC in the Allwinner B288 (the one used in the Inkpad 3) is situated in this hierarchy?
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #36
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupineLTD View Post
Good to know. Do you happen to know where the EPDC in the Allwinner B288 (the one used in the Inkpad 3) is situated in this hierarchy?
i think the winner 288 is another non-nxp stuff, nxp epdc belongs to nxp

you can't compare it with nxp imx

288 is a7 dual core, no m4, but with winner own epdc, you are excited about the Clearink, maybe you need to wait for it
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #37
PorcupineLTD

Quote:
i think the winner 288 is another non-nxp stuff, nxp epdc belongs to nxp

you can't compare it with nxp imx

288 is a7 dual core, no m4, but with winner own epdc, you are excited about the Clearink, maybe you need to wait for it
Of course you can compare them, they have the same function, both drive similar (sometimes identical) eInk displays.

The M4 has nothing to do with the EPDC, as I said previously the CPU and EPDC are different blocks with different functions.

As for ClearInk I may get one down the line when they hopefully release a monochrome version. Until then my Canadian friend is visiting next week and I asked him to bring me a Forma.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorcupineLTD View Post
Of course you can compare them, they have the same function, both drive similar (sometimes identical) eInk displays.

The M4 has nothing to do with the EPDC, as I said previously the CPU and EPDC are different blocks with different functions.

As for ClearInk I may get one down the line when they hopefully release a monochrome version. Until then my Canadian friend is visiting next week and I asked him to bring me a Forma.
nxp-edpc are nxp based, that;s why this discussion exists in the first place: kobo forma clara and kindle whatwhat using the same latest gen epdc
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, soc