Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
GlenWeb
GlenWeb began at the beginning.

Device: Fiction Book Reader
Jpeg displaying

Hi, just wanted to check if there was an explanation or solution to the issue of home made ebook jepgs not displaying my epub reader of choice but displaying as expected without issue in Microsoft edge.

However, the jpegs in commercial ebooks display as expected in my epub reader as well as edge

It therefore seems that my epub reader is ok with displaying jpegs from commercial ebooks but not my home made jpegs!

Grateful for any hints or tips.

Many thanks

Platform Windows 10
Sigil 9.14
my epub reader of choice Fiction Book Reader (Windows UWP)
GlenWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenWeb View Post
Hi, just wanted to check if there was an explanation or solution to the issue of home made ebook jepgs not displaying my epub reader of choice but displaying as expected without issue in Microsoft edge.

However, the jpegs in commercial ebooks display as expected in my epub reader as well as edge

It therefore seems that my epub reader is ok with displaying jpegs from commercial ebooks but not my home made jpegs!

Grateful for any hints or tips.

Many thanks

Platform Windows 10
Sigil 9.14
my epub reader of choice Fiction Book Reader (Windows UWP)
Have you tested your homebuilt ePUB in any other reader? Like Adobe Digital Editions? What about MS Edge? Do they display there?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There are actually many different jpeg subtypes/subformats. There is original jpeg, jpeg 2000 variants, jpeg turbo variants, and I believe there is a high quality jpeg format that is specific to Microsoft. Also different jpeg decoders can be needed. Myguess is the ones you created are not quite "standard" for some reason. Fire up the Gimp or whatever image editing program you have and load them up and resave them to see if that helps.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
GlenWeb

Jpeg displaying

Many thanks for your responses.

the images in Edge's epub reader render exactly as expected and in Digital Editions as well.

It's only in the 3rd party epub reader that the images don't display.

I guess it is the Jpeg that I've created which is incompatible with the 3rd party epub app.

I guess I'll have to try and identify what it is about the jpeg which is making it incompatible!?

Kind regards,

GlenWeb
Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Some Ebooks Readers dont work with really big pictures. I dont know the exact value, but my PRS650 does not show picture if the the height is 2000px or more (may be another value). Or its the filesize, i never digged in into that behavior

And i was astonished reading an article about jpegs containing an alpha channel... just another flavor a reader might not be able to handle
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Isn't it all speculation until we know the exact tools and steps used to make the jpegs?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Many thanks for your responses.

the images in Edge's epub reader render exactly as expected and in Digital Editions as well.

It's only in the 3rd party epub reader that the images don't display.

I guess it is the Jpeg that I've created which is incompatible with the 3rd party epub app.

I guess I'll have to try and identify what it is about the jpeg which is making it incompatible!?

Kind regards,

GlenWeb
Obvious next question, then: how'd you make the jpegs? What app, etc.?

Hitch
Old 06-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
GlenWeb

Jpeg displaying

Jpeg created in MS paint, but have also tried saving from IrfanView as well, also resized from 1536 pixels to 250 but still no luck...., I guess I've excluded a size issue causing the problem!

Not sure what to change next?...
Old 06-17-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The old 'gottcha' that often hits windows users: file name Case
many readers are Linux based and are sensitive to path case

image/mypic.jpg
is different than (to a case sensitive OS)
Images/MyPic.JPG
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The old 'gottcha' that often hits windows users: file name Case
many readers are Linux based and are sensitive to path case

image/mypic.jpg
is different than (to a case sensitive OS)
Images/MyPic.JPG
I've seen some glitchiness with spaces in filenames, too. Not many--but some.

Hitch
Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Check the size of the image file. In Aldiko reader on an android tablet, images over a certain pixel count are simply not displayed. Clients tell me there are are other readers with the same restriction.

Not sure what the actual limit is, but I find I'm safe if I limit the shortest side of an image to 1000 pixels.

It's a nuisance when I want to have a whole page of music notation. I can't use a single image at adequate resolution.

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 06-18-2019 at 06:45 AM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
GlenWeb

Jpeg displaying

Thanks for all your suggestions and tips so far. It has spurred me on to continue to try and find an answer!

have now established that images do now display in the app if I reduce them in size to 263 x 153 px so I guess it was a sizing issue?

Thank you.

Regards,

GlenWeb
Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #13
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions and tips so far. It has spurred me on to continue to try and find an answer!

have now established that images do now display in the app if I reduce them in size to 263 x 153 px so I guess it was a sizing issue?

Thank you.

Regards,

GlenWeb
That's rather small. Depending on what the image consists of another way to attack the problem is try different formats; png and gif. Both of those are better than jpg when the image contains only areas of solid colors, like comics, or text on a solid background. For photos the png will probably be significantly larger while gif uses dithering and may not look as nice. But it might be worthwhile trying those with the original size image to see what happens.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote