Notices

Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #61
oswaldcaine
oswaldcaine began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Question kobo mini upgrade Feb2019

Hello Eveyrone! Happy Easter!!!

I am new in this forum.

Here is my story. I bought a second hand kobo mini.

I made the connection with the Windows kodo desktop (wifi is obviously not working because of the new upgrade). I could buy some books from kobo, upload them, could see them on my kobo. No problem until now...

BUT...

My problem is to upload free ebooks from Project gutenberg and similar free classical ebook websites.

I am unable to add this kind of epub to my kobo. I mean I could drag and drop them (somewhere as I used to do with my old classic 1st gen kobo that doesn't work anymore) but don't know where to exactly put them to be able to see/read them on my kobo. Any help??

Can anyone tell me if I can do this? if Yes, under which repertory/Folder?
If NO, how can I manage this (knowing that I tried with calibre, but it seems to me its not compatible with the new Kobo upgrade/firmware)?

oswaldcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldcaine View Post
Hello Eveyrone! Happy Easter!!!

I am new in this forum.

Here is my story. I bought a second hand kobo mini.

I made the connection with the Windows kodo desktop (wifi is obviously not working because of the new upgrade). I could buy some books from kobo, upload them, could see them on my kobo. No problem until now...

BUT...

My problem is to upload free ebooks from Project gutenberg and similar free classical ebook websites.

I am unable to add this kind of epub to my kobo. I mean I could drag and drop them (somewhere as I used to do with my old classic 1st gen kobo that doesn't work anymore) but don't know where to exactly put them to be able to see/read them on my kobo. Any help??

If NO, how can I manage this (knowing that I tried with calibre, but it seems to me its not compatible with the new Kobo upgrade/firmware)?

Basically, don't put the ebooks in a directory with a '.' as the first character of the name. I'd suggest creating a directory called ebooks and storing your ebook files in that directory.

As for the firmware compatibility, you can use the Attempt to support newer firmware option in the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver. Check the "Metadata, on device & advanced" tab in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobotouch_options.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	170844  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldcaine View Post

Sideloading books to the Mini is exactly the same as any other Kobo device. Put the files where you want to, so long as the directory doesn't start with a dot.

As to calibre, if you read the message, there are instructions on how to deal with the firmware version issues. Or update calibre to the release from last week. That has support for the latest firmware and database versions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #64
oswaldcaine
oswaldcaine began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Thanks a bunch.
Will do so... and let you know.
oswaldcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #65
Zero_Ego
Zero_Ego began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi (N647), Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatica View Post
(first post, hi)

It sounds like the most important part of this new OTA update is that it will replace the recovery image with one that won't require the Kobo servers to run the setup wizard.

I had 4.12.12111 on my Kobo Mini, so I decided to do a factory reset to see what the recovery would do, and it reverted back to a 3.* version; so clearly all the manual 4.* updates I've been doing haven't touched the recovery partition.

So if you're running a more recent, unsupported firmware, I'd recommend you do this yourself - do a factory reset, connect it to Kobo on a computer and let it do the update (mine did an OTA update without the computer but it wasn't the 'final' one). Then you can put 4.12.12111 (or whatever) bafck on if you so choose. But without this final update, a factory reset will cause problems down the track if you need to do one, because you'll still have the old recovery partition even though your firmware is newer.

It remains to be seen whether we'll be locked out of the Kobo store after February if we're using a 4.* firmware. My guess is we won't: surely the 4.* firmware will work the same as any other Mark 4 device.
Lots of Aussies here for some reason.

Hi, Being a KM owner was curious about your post. Clearly you are stating one could run 4.12.12111 on the Kobo Mini. Are there any benefits for doing so. Would this also mean a higher demand on the CPU, translating to faster battery discharge. Do you know where I might obtain FW 4.12.12111 to give it a try. Any advice, or 'gotcha's'?

Thank you
Zero_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Ego View Post
Lots of Aussies here for some reason.

Hi, Being a KM owner was curious about your post. Clearly you are stating one could run 4.12.12111 on the Kobo Mini. Are there any benefits for doing so. Would this also mean a higher demand on the CPU, translating to faster battery discharge. Do you know where I might obtain FW 4.12.12111 to give it a try. Any advice, or 'gotcha's'?

Thank you
The Kobo Mini is a mark 4 hardware device. Basically, check geek1011's firmware download page, click on the other versions button by the Kobo Glo and download the version you want.

There have been some oddities noted but I haven't seen any showstoppers on my Kobo Mini with 4.15.12920 on it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #67
Zero_Ego
Zero_Ego began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi (N647), Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kobo Mini is a mark 4 hardware device. Basically, check geek1011's firmware download page, click on the other versions button by the Kobo Glo and download the version you want.

There have been some oddities noted but I haven't seen any showstoppers on my Kobo Mini with 4.15.12920 on it.

Just what I was looking for.

Thank you so much. Awesome

Last edited by Zero_Ego; 06-10-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Additional info
Zero_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #68
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Since the last update (of Mini), it seems it doesn't refresh the book on the cover (when the device is off). I notice also that I don't see the new books that I load using Adobe.

Have you notice this?
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #69
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Check that the date/time are correct. Both those issues can be caused if they are not correct. Might be some other cause though.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #70
W0lf
W0lf began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T65 JDREAD Venus 512M+8G
New firmware for kobo4
https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/f...4.17.13651.zip
W0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #71
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0lf View Post
That isn't strictly true. That is the link to the latest firmware released for Mark 4 devices. But, Kobo hasn't released this for the Mini, only the Glo or the N905C Touch. It will probably work on the Mini, but, there is a risk it won't.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #72
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I installed that version just fine on my Mini. No issues at all. I would expect that Kobo will never publicly say that version is "officially supported" on a Mini, since it's so old. So yes, of course, you'll be potentially risking a failure.

But if it reassures you that "it worked for me", and that's enough of an endorsement, go ahead. I took the risk for you.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #73
minty95
minty95 began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 500 & Prs T1
Hi all

New owner of a second hand K Mini basically for when I'm camping and need light weight, am extremely happy with it but there is always a big margin at the bottom of the page and i can't get rid of it, the other margins are perfect, any way of getting it smaller, firmware is the official 3.19.5761
minty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #74
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Check out the patches for that build. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269574
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote