Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Dastardly duos That could be lots of fun.

My original idea (It takes two to tango) hinged more on the dance itself - the tango is pretty sparky and intense. So I was just thinking of books that involve an intense dynamic, positive or negative. It could include multiple types of connections - for example, Moby Dick.
Oh, I love that interpretation!

BTW, people can always make an "official" nomination and I'll add it to the list. It doesn't mean you're committed. I can't always tell what's a trial balloon.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You've gone off Calvin Trillin!
Never! However, the availability of some of Mr. Trillin's best work in eBook format is problematic. Though I treasure my pBook copy of The Tummy Trilogy. My main concern for the club is that humour is always so tricky. Plus, of course, few outside of the US would recognize many of the places. I, OTOH, arranged my trip across the US to allow for a stop at Arthur Bryant's. A wonderful dinner, and well worth the extra annoyance of a long and boring stretch through Kansas after until we could drop down to Route 66.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #33
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Oh, I love that interpretation!

BTW, people can always make an "official" nomination and I'll add it to the list. It doesn't mean you're committed. I can't always tell what's a trial balloon.
Oh good I’d like to propose it - the problem is that I can’t figure out the second half of the catch phrase. Is the purpose of the tag just further refinement? For instance “It takes two to tango - intense connections”?

Last edited by issybird; 04-11-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those eligible will have received a PM from me;

Well, they'll have received one now. I have no clue what happened to that first PM. I wrote it! I really did.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Oh good I’d like to propose it - the problem is that I can’t figure out the second half of the catch phrase. Is the purpose of the tag just further refinement? For instance “It takes two to tango - intense connections”?
It can be, or it can be a twist or whatever. It can be fun to leave it a little nebulous.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #36
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You wouldn't get an argument from me. A person might even consider nominating The Dark Half by Stephen King and I wouldn't argue (beyond the fact that I didn't think the book was anything special to read). To explain why the book fits might be considered a spoiler.
[...]
And last night (well, 3am this morning) as I went to bed I thought of another single-author book that would fit my theme: The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett. Of the 1992 edition Pratchett said: "This book had two authors, and they were both the same person."

So "co-written" is only as prescriptive as you want it to be.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #37
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I loved Akenfield and didn't know this, so I shall have to look into it.

As for the two-part themes, my own preference would be to keep them. I think it's something of our signature; I'd rather have a certain redundancy if necessary than give it up, as with our current "children" theme.
Okay: that made me think about it a bit more, and I have come up with:

The end of the road: Finales

Which could cover anything from old age to getting home after a long journey, to the last movement of a symphony (always supposing there was a book about it!).

I do recommend the Blythe book - a similar vein to Akenfield, so that we hear from people in all walks of life in England at the time.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #38
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like this one, Bookpossum! I won’t have time until the weekend to give a good think on my ideas. I need to go back over the old discussion for inspiration.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:32 AM   #39
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like this one, Bookpossum! I won’t have time until the weekend to give a good think on my ideas. I need to go back over the old discussion for inspiration.
Thanks BG. I’m sure you will come up with a goodie.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #40
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It can be, or it can be a twist or whatever. It can be fun to leave it a little nebulous.
Fun is good - how about It takes two to tango: ‘dynamite duos’; or dynamos; or just ‘kaboom’ ? Anyone have any thoughts / preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
The end of the road: Finales

Which could cover anything from old age to getting home after a long journey, to the last movement of a symphony (always supposing there was a book about it!).

I do recommend the Blythe book - a similar vein to Akenfield, so that we hear from people in all walks of life in England at the time.
Good stuff Bookpossom. It’s evocative and brings to mind a number of possibilities.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #41
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
And last night (well, 3am this morning) as I went to bed I thought of another single-author book that would fit my theme: The Carpet People by Terry Pratchett. Of the 1992 edition Pratchett said: "This book had two authors, and they were both the same

So "co-written" is only as prescriptive as you want it to be
Great quote - A flat world didn’t sound like it had much depth, but you’re upping my interest in Pratchett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Good luck - I’m sure it will be interesting!
Old 04-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #42
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Fun is good - how about It takes two to tango: ‘dynamite duos’; or dynamos; or just ‘kaboom’ ? Anyone have any thoughts / preferences?
I like both dynamite duos and dynamos.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Weren't Batman and Robin known as the Dynamic Duo?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #44
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The Joker usually parodies that. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #45
Victoria
Wizard

Quote:
Originally, I thought I might dust off my suggestion from last time, "My favorite book you've never heard of," but after lying in abeyance for so long, it's lost much of its luster for me. Not that I wouldn't be interested in people's secret favorites.

So instead, I'm going to suggest something along the lines of:

Ya Gotta Believe: Life of the Spirit.

I don't want to get too prescriptive, but it would take in religion, personal philosophies, interior life, ghosts and other paranormal entities (which would not be my preference, but you have to let your chicks go). And baseball.
I could only envision introspection, so did a double take on baseball, but Catlady solved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, B & R were dubbed ‘dynamic duo’. Unfortunately they’re pretty tame, so maybe just ‘dynamite’ or ‘dynamos’.