Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
SciFiReader
GadgetReader
SciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Sony Reader
Free SciFi Books

Check out the Baen Web site, http://baen.com/library/
They have a variety of free novels that you can get in RFT, and work great on the Reader. Go to the "free" book section.
SciFiReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
sweet! Free is always good, especially when it's scifi! Thanks SciFiReader!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I love Baen Books. Their lack of DRM makes me happy. Their free books introduced me to many authors and enticed me to buy more of their books.

Take a look at the "webscriptions" area-- Non-DRM books in RTF format at good prices. It looks like they're adding books from other publishers soon-- Del Rey and TOR are now in their library. They also offer Advanced Reader Copies of upcoming books in case you can't wait for the editor to do his stuff.

You should also try out the "Jim Baen's Universe" e-magazine. Published every couple months, lots of entertaining stories.

Baen deserves to be supported-- they actually get that DRM doesn't work. It's too bad Jim Baen died last year. He believed strongly in the future of ebooks. I'm glad they are keeping his policies in place.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Another legal source for free Baen books are Baen CDs. They have many books which are not in the free library.
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
http://files.plebian.net/baencd/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I currently create a SF CD for Project Gutenberg. It contains all the SF books available from http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Scienc...28Bookshelf%29
I just wait for Distributed Proofreaders to release the last H. Beam Piper works. I hope for end of the month.
The CD will be available for download from Project Gutenberg.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Robert, are you going to put LRF versions there too?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Only what is available from Project Gutenberg. So mainly HTML or simple text. All books also in Plucker format plus a few in Mobipocket.
You should be able to convert the HTML and text versions to any ebook format.

All major ebook formats is hopeless. The CD has already 200 MB for 150 books.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
SciFiReader
GadgetReader
SciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of itSciFiReader has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Sony Reader
Baen Cd

Robert-
That was a great lead on the Baen CD. A great collection of novels at a great price for my Reader. Thanks for the info.
SciFiReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
Only what is available from Project Gutenberg. So mainly HTML or simple text. All books also in Plucker format plus a few in Mobipocket.
You should be able to convert the HTML and text versions to any ebook format.

All major ebook formats is hopeless. The CD has already 200 MB for 150 books.
For batch converting HTML to an .rtf reader compatible format, see this thread, post #16. Then all you do is apply a macro for the rest of the conversion.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 AM   #10
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

Yes, it is possible, but it multiplies the data size. I could generate Mobipocket books and MS Reader books and RTF and what the heck and in the end it would not fit on a CD anymore.
I work (in a if only i had time fashion) on a Windows program which accepts an .opf file and generates as many formats as possible. Do not expect that for many months though.
Windows is needed for MS Reader, because i use the ActiveX control from Microsoft to do the conversion. I want to stay legal with this so no unofficial tool to do the conversion.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
Yes, it is possible, but it multiplies the data size. I could generate Mobipocket books and MS Reader books and RTF and what the heck and in the end it would not fit on a CD anymore.
I work (in a if only i had time fashion) on a Windows program which accepts an .opf file and generates as many formats as possible. Do not expect that for many months though.
Windows is needed for MS Reader, because i use the ActiveX control from Microsoft to do the conversion. I want to stay legal with this so no unofficial tool to do the conversion.
I was suggesting this because HTML is not supported by the Sony Reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

This is a Project Gutenberg CD so it should not contain the books in formats not available from Project Gutenberg. I already regenerated the Plucker books to contain the images, but that is as far as i stray from Project Gutenberg for this CD.

There should be no problem to convert the texts to the Reader format you want.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You're already putting forth a yeoman's effort, Robert, we can handle a little converting if we need to. After all, we do have Amber to help us with that sort of thing!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Baen is awesome. Between them and Gutenberg that was reason enough to buy the Reader. Connect is just icing on the cake for me.

Looking forward to the CD, Robert. Thanks for your efforts!!

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #15
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For those of you looking for e-ink friendly scifi books, here's what we have currently on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/li...searchby=books

We're adding books every day, so we'll have much more in a few weeks...
You can also easily check the most popular one:
http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/to...cience+Fiction
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote