Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
So as a Linux.....

user, I am out of luck as far as using Sony's e-reader software. It won't install under Wine, it won't work in WinXP (as a virtual machine).

So how can I buy books from Sony? I had been planning on buying a Sony reading devise, perhaps the pocket reader-300. Don't know what to do now. Perhaps another device.

I'm using Ubuntu and Virtual box.

Thanks all
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm not sure if this works for you but I use Sun VirtualBox with a WindowsXP running inside.

The nice thing about SONY is they have gone with ePUB so you don't have to buy exclusively from them.

Also since most Publishers have pushed for the "Agency" price model most vendors will be selling books at the same price.

All you have to do is Register Adobe DE and you will be able to buy eBooks form other vendors like BooksonBoard.com Kobo.com and Fictionwise.com

The only trick is you might have to do a one time registration with ADE in windows.

Personally I have stuck with MOBI since the DRM is not tied to an OS/browser.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Linux

I'm using Virtual Box, with XP inside, with Ubuntu but it won't open the reader software. And the Sony website confirms that their software will not work under those circumstances.

Last edited by tajreed; 04-03-2010 at 03:27 PM.
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajreed View Post
I'm using Virtual Box, with XP inside, with Ubuntu but it won't open the reader software. And the Sony website confirms that their software will not work under those circumstances.
I had the same problems, so I just don't buy from Sony. A lot of other places such as Fictionwise (as mentioned above) and Waterstones in the UK sell ePub formatted books that work just fine.

Or else I buy mobi and convert with the help of calibre.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
user, I am out of luck as far as using Sony's e-reader software. It won't install under Wine, it won't work in WinXP (as a virtual machine).

So how can I buy books from Sony? I had been planning on buying a Sony reading devise, perhaps the pocket reader-300. Don't know what to do now. Perhaps another device.

Thanks all
E-Reader has a version of their reader for Linux (Ubuntu 9.0.4 or later). You can buy book their, Fictionwise, and Barnes and Noble. The B&N Nook also reads Adobe ADE DRM.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
E-Reader has a version of their reader for Linux (Ubuntu 9.0.4 or later). You can buy book their, Fictionwise, and Barnes and Noble. The B&N Nook also reads Adobe ADE DRM.
Yep. The nook is the best choice for Linux users right now. No windows required for EReader and B&N EPub. No DRM busting or Windows VM required!

I haven't tried the B&N Reader in Wine, but it would be worth a shot.

I load all my books onto my softrooted nook wirelessly using the Android Debugger.

Last edited by riemann42; 04-03-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: type-o
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #7
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I run Ubuntu and have a Windows XP machine running on VMware workstation and have the sony software installed with no problem. You could also run it on WMware server, which is free.

Although, I try to buy from other stores so I don't have to deal with the sony software.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

If what you want is available as Epub, you have options.

Under Linux (Ubuntu and Puppy) and Windows as well, I use an open source ebook viewer called FBReader. FBReader handles Epub and MobiPocket formats, among others. It also handles documents converted for the Plucker offline HTML viewer for PalmOS, which is a win for me as I have a Palm OS device running Plucker and about 3,600 volumes converted for it.

It's not quite as polished as dedicated readers intended for those formats, but does a serviceable job. It doesn't handle DRM, so you'll need DRM free content, but it's a handy application to have around.

See http://www.fbreader.org
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Well... for non-DRM'd epub files, you can download with Linux and use almost any reader to view them, but for DRM'd epubs you have to use ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) which pretty much requires Windows or Mac. I haven't heard of ADE running under Wine, but my info may be incorrect.

As for virtualization, there are several software packages that can handle it. I have Windows XP running in VMware Workstation, but you should also be able to use VMware Server, which is free. You can then use the Sony Reader software, which sucks IMHO, or ADE to buy any DRM'd ebook. Then use ineptepub (Google it) to strip the DRM and transfer to Calibre. That's what I do, no problems.

Hope this helps.

Update: I just checked and see that Crossover Linux by Codeweavers can run ADE. I have it, but never thought to check if it works

I'll try to get things working some time this week and get back with my results. I can't ditch XP completely due to work, but if this works, I'll have one fewer thing I need it for

Last edited by animedude01; 04-05-2010 at 12:01 AM.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Apparently, ADE runs under Wine, except certain features don't work, and in particular, those having to do with DRM, frustratingly enough.

I've had better luck with calibre's viewer just for reading ePubs than with FBreader, but that won't help with the original poster's problem.

I don't buy DRMed ePubs, so I can't offer any useful advice, unfortunately. (Not because I'm that opposed to it--I just have enough to read anyway.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I can't comment on ADE under Wine, but ADE under Crossover works a charm. I have bought books and put them on my reader without issue. I have an Astak Pocket Pro, and the closest thing I had to a problem with ADE under Crossover was I needed to mount the Pocket Pro THEN run ADE, otherwise ADE didn't detect the reader.

So in point form;
- ADE installed under Crossover.
- My computer and reader were authorised without question
- I was prompted last week to update ADE (ADE would close if I didn't update it). Worked fine (needed to download setup.exe and re-run that in my ADE bottle).
- Have bought books etc and all have worked without issue.

I have not been able to (like the OP) get the Sony bookstore software to install under Crossover or run under a virtual machine.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What in particular doesn't work? I do have the SONY reader installed under Linux/VituralBox/Winsows XP and my PC is registered? I can buy and download books from the app. The only thing I've not tired is to use the app to copy over ebooks to my reader. The SONY app is not ideal it is sluggish and buggy

Personally I think the Kindle 4 PC is much better and works in Wine with no issues, even the DRM! The app is quite responsive.

The main app is just to read books to buy books from amazon you use their web page. Registering your PC is straight forward just install the app and link it to your amazon account.

=X=
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
What in particular doesn't work? I do have the SONY reader installed under Linux/VituralBox/Winsows XP and my PC is registered? I can buy and download books from the app. The only thing I've not tired is to use the app to copy over ebooks to my reader. The SONY app is not ideal it is sluggish and buggy

Personally I think the Kindle 4 PC is much better and works in Wine with no issues, even the DRM! The app is quite responsive.

The main app is just to read books to buy books from amazon you use their web page. Registering your PC is straight forward just install the app and link it to your amazon account.

=X=
The actual install of the Sony App (IIRC it installs but when you run it nothing happens). What version VB and Sony App are you using?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
The actual install of the Sony App (IIRC it installs but when you run it nothing happens). What version VB and Sony App are you using?
VB = 3.14 R57640
Sony = 3.1.00.12040

Interesting enough I just downloaded the latest Kindle for PC. I.E. post Beta 1 while the beta 1 works flawlessly on Wine, the newest version does not run under wine. It's a good thing I did not delete the Beta 1 executable.

=X=