Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
dasnider
dasnider began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
PRS-600 Notes Limitations?

I'm trying to figure out how to take notes on certain passages using the Sony Reader Touch. I can use the Notes function & stylus to highlight a passage; I can also use the stylus to hand-write a note on the page - which of course overlays and partially obscures the text on the page. But I can't find a way to write a separate note and attach it to a passage, so that the note's only visible if I want to see it. Ideally I'd like to be able to highlight a passage, then open the notes tool and enter in a commentary in a separate notes window - in some cases even an extended commentary - which I could then refer back to whenever I wanted. Can't see any way to do this on the Touch, but am hoping it's there somewhere.

This is a basic funtion and essential to anyone reading for scholarly purposes. If eReaders are ever to supplant the printed textbook in schools they'll need to include this capability.

-Dave
dasnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnider View Post
...Ideally I'd like to be able to highlight a passage, then open the notes tool and enter in a commentary in a separate notes window - in some cases even an extended commentary - which I could then refer back to whenever I wanted...
You can attach notes to a highlighted passage using the virtual keyboard.

Press option to Create/Edit Notes
Select highlighter option (top left)
Use stylus to highlight passage
Single tap on highlighted passage
Add notes via virtual keyboard
Select Done when finished
Highlighted passage is now marked and accessible if tapped
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Another option is to:

1) double tap on a word (or double tap and drag on a passage)
2) When the dictionary bar comes up at the bottom, tap on the highlighter icon--this highlights the bit that you had double tapped
3) Close the dictionary bar by tapping on the X
4) Single tap on the now-highlighted word/phrase
5) Select if you want keyboard or "drawing" notes
6) add your note

When you close out of the "note" page, the highlighted bit will have a teensy little note icon next to it to tell you that there is a note attached to it. If you single tap on it again, it will bring up that note.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
dasnider
dasnider began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Thanks - looks like you actually have to close out of the Notes tool before you can double-click on the highlighted line and bring up the notes window. Anyway, that works fine - appreciate the advice!
dasnider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notes, reader, touch