Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
New Archos 9" tablet with Windows 7

Another MID coming, this one looks interesting as it's quite thin for a device running Windows 7.
It will retail at about €450 in Europe, about 50€-150€ more than most netbook with similar specifications. I hope it will be available cheaper with a phone contract as a version with 3G is planned.

http://www.mobifrance.com/news/2009-...cran-9-pouces/

Last edited by Faenad; 06-13-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Will wonders never cease. Looks really cool. The size is amazing. Can't wait to see the real thing in autumn.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I cant help but wonder "if only it had a PixelQi screen"
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Wow, I'm in love...

Here's an english video: KLICK (+ more information on specs)
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #5
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe View Post
I cant help but wonder "if only it had a PixelQi screen"
You're right. A PixelQi screen would make it the ideal machine to have on one at all times. I wonder if they are aware of the existence of PixelQi screens.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm in love too - this is just about perfect.

ETA: Does anyone know if this goes into portrait mode?
ETA2: N/M just found out portrait mode can be enabled in Win 7 on any monitor. Cool!

Last edited by phenomshel; 07-25-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: to add question arghhh LOL
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I am also very interested in this new tablet. It appears that it will be available for sale in the U.S. on October 22, to coincide with the official release of Windows 7. I will get one as soon as they are available.
I wanted to get the Viliv X70 but it is just too thick, much too "chunky"...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I am also very interested in this new tablet. It appears that it will be available for sale in the U.S. on October 22, to coincide with the official release of Windows 7. I will get one as soon as they are available.
I wanted to get the Viliv X70 but it is just too thick, much too "chunky"...
Yep, and the Archos will have a much better price too! I'm waiting on this device SOOOOOO much...

This'll be THE Xmas present to myself! Seems to be the ideal companion for me (reading, notetaking, web, videos etc.) with WiFi and 3G + easy changeable battery etc.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although I think the ultimate reader would be the Crunchpad, if/when it ever comes out.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader

But back to the Archos 9 Tablet, it sure looks nice in pictures:

Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does look great. I'm drooling, and have been ever since I found out about it. The current plan is to wait for the reviews once it's released, and if no deal-breakers come up, I'll be ordering one in February or March. If no one here beats me to it, I'll then post hands on reviews if anyone's interested.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
As an eBook reader, it looks a little big to display a single page of a novel though probably better even than the Kindle DX for PDF display. Would you turn it landscape and read a novel with facing pages displayed, two pages at a time?

I do like that it can provide other capability than just as an eBook reader.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Although I think the ultimate reader would be the Crunchpad, if/when it ever comes out.
Agreed... but I'm not holding my breath. Sounds like 2015 at the earliest.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
As an eBook reader, it looks a little big to display a single page of a novel though probably better even than the Kindle DX for PDF display. Would you turn it landscape and read a novel with facing pages displayed, two pages at a time?

I do like that it can provide other capability than just as an eBook reader.
I'm a big fan of the multifunction capability myself. I'm all good with the size (and the LCD display) as I want to start being able to read some of the comics files I have, and I want something that displays PDF's better than a six inch e-ink screen. I don't know if Calibre (my ebook reading software of choice) has the option to read landscape two pages at a time, so I'd probably turn it to portrait mode and read that way. I think it'd depend a lot on what I was reading. Another feature I'm excited about is the "trackball" control on the right side of this device.
I've been using a BlackBerry Curve for several months now, and can't imagine how I ever used a phone/smartphone without a trackball control, so I can only imagine how handy it'd be on this. The closer it gets to release, the more anxious I am to read some hands on extended use reviews of this - so if anyone here gets one, I'll be extremely interested in hearing what you think of it!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I'm a big fan of the multifunction capability myself. I'm all good with the size (and the LCD display) as I want to start being able to read some of the comics files I have, and I want something that displays PDF's better than a six inch e-ink screen. I don't know if Calibre (my ebook reading software of choice) has the option to read landscape two pages at a time,...
Yep, count me in - 100% ACK...

BTW: The best ComicReader for Windows is ComicRack AND you can use it for PDFs (AND it can display 2 pages in landscape mode)! Find it HERE (it's FREE)